Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

making things easier and sftp

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

sylvantino
Weather Station: WS3083
Operating System: Windows 10

making things easier and sftp

Post by sylvantino »

Now that the vast majority of webhosts have been forced into changing their ftp to secure ftp thanks to the GDPR, its made uploading realtime.txt from the 1.9.4 a nightmare for those like myself who have zero experience with having to run an external program then having to hope that the file transfers to the site. I have gone through trying numerous webhosts and each of them had sftp. So I got to reading that MX has ftp ssl , but is this the exact same as sftp? I am also completely new to mx and i am so lost with it, surely there could be an easier way to run this software even through an interface similar to 1.9.4? I would really like something as easy to run as 1.9.4 with mx if this is the latest incarnation of the software or a spin off.
Does this latest build support sftp and where can i get the mx documentation on how to run it? thank you.
jhobson67
Weather Station: WS3083
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: making things easier and sftp

Post by jhobson67 »

Hi, I'm in a similar position. SFTP is an acronym for SSH File Transfer Protocol. It's a do-it-all protocol, based on "Secure Shell" crytpography and isn't the same as SSL which is now obsolete (TLS being the current protocol).

I've just spent a frustrating time trying to get help from my webhost (1&1 Ionos) only to be told as 1.9.4 doesn't support SFTP, there is nothing they can do their side. This is really annoying as I usually use Filezilla (no problems), but have read about a workaround using WinSCP (which Ionos provide as a download link), but WinSCP simply refuses to log onto my FTP server!

My station has only been up for 3 days, and I would like to get the data online, but this is vexing me. Looks likely I shall have to go the MX route to.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: making things easier and sftp

Post by water01 »

MX is the latest and greatest version of Cumulus. Cumulus 1 (v1.9.4) will not be update to include SFTP.
David