Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.0.0 build 3050 - 1 May 2019.
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

CumulusMX is omitting some 10-minute readings at random in the Jun19log.txt file

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.

Moderator: mcrossley

martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

CumulusMX is omitting some 10-minute readings at random in the Jun19log.txt file

Post by martinu » Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:47 am

Since we moved house and I cleared the contents of the CumulusMX/data folder (stop Cum, delete folder contents, restart) to begin a new set of readings, I've noticed that some readings are missing at random from the Jun19log.txt file.

I log to the file at 10 minute intervals (this is also the interval that I've set on the weather station), and I've set Cumulus to generate a updated web page and a new data point on the graphs every minute. The graphs appear to have points every minute, even over times when an entry is missing from the log file. My first thought was that the base station (Davis Vantage Vue) was sometimes losing radio contact with the remote sensor unit, but the fact that there are valid data points on the graph seems to refute that.

For example, looking at the temperature graph in http://goosebears.co.uk/weather/trends.htm (pages uploaded manually by temporarily connecting my PC to a tethered mobile phone connection!), there are points every minute at around 0800-0830 today (7 Jun) although there is a missing point at 0810 in the log file.

Any suggestions. I never saw this symptom at our old house, before I cleared the data and before I changed the sensor-to-base unit distance. Same setup, same USB port on the logging computer.

The only thing that is non-standard is that at the moment the router has no WAN connection to the internet (we're waiting for broadband to be enabled) so all the FTP updates performed by Cumulus will be failing. Could that be significant in any way?

I'm running Cumulus v3.0.0 (3043) on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi

Re: CumulusMX is omitting some 10-minute readings at random in the Jun19log.txt file

Post by mcrossley » Fri 07 Jun 2019 9:40 am

Switch on debug logging, let it run until the problem occurs a couple of times, then zip up your MXDiags folder and post it here.

martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Re: CumulusMX is omitting some 10-minute readings at random in the Jun19log.txt file

Post by martinu » Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:53 pm

Here's the MXdiag.zip file. There was an instance at 16:20 on 7 Jun 2019, in the latest log file. Interestingly, there is no error message as such, just an absence of the normal "Writing log entry for 07/06/2019 16:30:52" / "Written log entry for 07/06/2019 16:30:52" lines every 10 minutes.

This is with Settings | Options | Debug logging ticked, but without restarting Cumulus; the help text "Changing setting here affects current session only" implies that the change affects the currently running Cumulus and that restarting Cumulus will turn debugging off again.

(Ignore all the "failed to write to realtime.txt" type errors. They are due to us not having broadband yet in our new house. It will be a while before we get proper internet: when the BT Openreach engineer turned up today he found that another engineer had "stolen" our line-pair back to the exchange yesterday, believing it was no longer being used because the previous occupants had ceased the line and we hadn't (by a mere couple of hours!) submitted our order for phone/broadband. BT have gone away to work out what to do next...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley » Sun 16 Jun 2019 6:40 pm

Sorry for the late reply, could you collect the diags again after updating to the latest release please.