Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX build 3048 LOOP2

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Cumulus MX build 3048 LOOP2

Post by jlmr731 »

Upgraded to build 3048 from 3047 and now get a message at startup

Code: Select all

LOOP2 is enabled in Cumulus.ini but this firmare version does not support it. Consider disabling it in Cumulus.ini
looking back at build 3047 and even 3043 I dont see that message, But I do see LOOP2 enabled with both of them from the diag files.

Looking at Cumulus.ini there is no refrence to LOOP2, or even the word loop in that file. Also i have no other copy of Cumulus.ini at least not in 3047 or 3048 zip file I downloaded, so not sure if this is a feature thats there and not implemented or maybe used for other weather stations (im using VP2).

There have been no other errors or problems with this build and has been doing it's thing for over a month now, and there is a big plus to the new build as when i shut down no errors are produced, nice clean quiet exit.

Thanks to all that continue provide service :clap:
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus MX build 3048 LOOP2

Post by mcrossley »

I added some extra tests and logging for loop2 support in the last build.

If you are one an old version of firmware that does not implement it then you should disable loop2. MX defaults to enabling it.

You need to add an entry to your cumulus.ini file in the [Station] section...

UseDavisLoop2=0
See the wiki: https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Cumul ... n:_Station
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Thanks for the info Mark.
I just updated the firmware to 3.80 and was on 3.15, I saw in the wiki "The LOOP2 packet is supported on the VP2 with firmware version 1.90 or later, and on the Vue."
When I updated it reported 3.15 and bootloader 1.9 -- I did a quick search and didnt find much on bootloader versions, and this was the first time I even looked for a firmware upgrade.
After the update Cumulus started up normally with no LOOP2 messages so I know 3.15 doesnt support LOOP2 and atleast 3.8 does

Thanks Mark
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Any firmware of 1.9 or later supports loop2 - however sometimes the station takes a little while to start responding when you first connect - and getting the firmware version is the first command MX sends and when this happens it assumes a blank firmware string which is what really old firmware returns. That bit of code needs improving - it's on the todo list!
aussiewmr
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1903

Post by aussiewmr »

Hi All,
I decided to debug the source on this LOOP2 detection issue and I believe the code needs to be modified to cast the constant 1.90 to a float.
I ended up making this modification (DavisStation.cs Build 3050 starting line 99):

01	if (connectedOK)
02	{
03		// get time of last db entry (also sets raincounter and prevraincounter)
04		//lastArchiveTimeUTC = getLastArchiveTime();
06		DavisFirmwareVersion = GetFirmwareVersion();
07		float FwVer = float.Parse(DavisFirmwareVersion, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture.NumberFormat);   // New assignment to make debugging easier
09		cumulus.LogMessage("FW version = " + DavisFirmwareVersion);
10		if ((DavisFirmwareVersion == "???" || FwVer < (float)1.90) && cumulus.UseDavisLoop2)		// Cast 1.90 to a float, without this the comparison < 1.90 does not work
11		{
12			cumulus.LogMessage("LOOP2 is enabled in Cumulus.ini but this firmare version does not support it. Consider disabling it in Cumulus.ini");
13			Console.WriteLine("Your console firmware version does not support LOOP2. Consider disabling it in Cumulus.ini");
14		}
As the comments allude to, I added a new variable to facilitate debugging (7th line), but essentially without the cast to float on the "1.90" (10th line) the original check for "DavisFirmwareVersion, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture.NumberFormat < 1.90" does not work.

At the end of the day, its only tidying up the logging, because for station with 1.90 firmware, LOOP2 packets do work and the error logged does not actually affect this. By adding to the cumulus.ini file UseDavisLoop2=0 actually is a backward step for firmware's 1.90.

Caveat: I am not a professional .net programmer, so I may be up the wrong creek :)

Cheers
Phil
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks, I'll fix this in the next release.