Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Install CumulusMX

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

perl
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Buster Lite rPi

Install CumulusMX

Post by perl »

I have tried to install the Cumulusmx on a new PI3 following the instructions made by Steve.

CumulusMX wont't start, so I decided to send the command "sudo mono CumulusMX.exe" over the putty connection

Any idea whats wrong:
ScreenShot256.jpg
It is like it handles the "exe" command as "Cumulus" !

Per
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Install CumulusMX

Post by freddie »

Have you deleted any files from the distribution? Do you have the mono-complete package installed on your pi?
Freddie
perl

Post by perl »

No files deleted, but installed my cumulusmx.ini from version 3043.
Yes mono installed.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Looking at the error message - it appears that Mono starts okay, but is unable to initialise the Cumulus application. That would point to a missing dependency - such as one of the distribution DLLs. If it isn't that then I would look at the privileges of the user you are starting the application with. As Cumulus does things like listen on a TCP port then it needs to be started as the root user. It appears that you are doing that, though. Can you check your listing of ~/CumulusMX/ against the contents of the distribution zip file? Things like file sizes?
Freddie
perl

Post by perl »

Thanks Freddie
I will take a look at it to morrow.
I have used the day to day to move the Davis consol to my Windows10 machine and installed cumulus on that machine. It seems to run for the moment.
perl

Post by perl »

Hi
I think I owe you some informations on how the installation of CumulusMX has gone.
I had run into problems with my website not reproducing real data. There were bugs in them and a post during Saratoga templates gave many comments, but did not led to anything I could use. So I decided to make a new installation on my web server with Saratoga and wildwood weather scripts. I first put a Cumulus on my windows10 machine and when it worked I installed CumulusMX up on the windows10 machine and when it worked I moved things over to a newly installed Raspberry PI3 with Raspbian Stretch with desktop and recommended software. I tried to followed the instructions in: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16931&hilit=Instal ... spberry+PI a guide, which I think should be linked to from "Cumulus MX Announcements and Download" if we not rather want to create a fixed group with" CumulusMX install and version updates " - before "CumulusMX - RaspberryPI Start|Stop|Restart script
ScreenShot267.jpg
I first got installed a mono version 4.6.2 which I subsequently got uninstalled and then installed 4.0.5 as stated in the guide.
It made me think that this installation guide should be expanded and maintained. Can we schematically illustrate installation on PI2 and PI3 - which mono versions can they run with if you eg. use comma and not dot in the data and the weather station is a Davis or a fine offset. The guide should also include updates - how to update when a new build comes.

It will save us who do not work with EDB on a daily basis for a lot of trouble and time.

Thanks to everyone who spent a lot of time answering my questions and thank you to everyone who spends time maintaining and developing forum, CumulusMX, PHP scripts and what else we use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

Glad you found my installation instructions helpful.

I'm happy to update them if others can tell me what's wanted - trouble is, I only have a Fine Offset and can't test variations for other stations.

Updating the Build isn't usually needed - mcrossley is (at least so far) just making minor tweaks that don't change functionality, so I've not found a reason to bother.

I also suspect something is amiss with your 'mono' installation, especially if you downgraded from a higher version. Did you check you have 4.0.5 installed? Try
 Check by typing mono –V and see:
 Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.5 (Stable 4.0.5.1/1d8d582 Thu Nov 12 12:22:41 UTC 2015)

Update August 2019
There is a reason to update the CumulusMX build, and it's related to your problem.

Build 3044 [and later; and we are now at 3050] have fixed the mono issue with Fine Offset USB weather stations - so no longer need to force installation of an old version of mono. I've updated my instructions, and it seems to work fine with the current mono v5.18.

Updating a version of CumulusMX is easily done as follows:

1. Stop CumulusMX running (it locks files while it is running)
2. Install the updated CumulusMX version into a new directory - I call mine CumulusMX3050 so that I can easily see which build it is
3. copy the following from the old CumulusMX directory to the new CumulusMX3050 directory:
a. your CumulusMX/Cumulus.ini file
b. your CumulusMX/data directory
c. your CumulusMX/twitter.txt file (if you have personalised it)
d. your CumulusMX/web directory (if you have personalised any web files)
4. Change your startup instruction to use the version in the new directory eg cd /home/pi/CumulusMX3050;sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

With that method you can easily revert back to the old version if something has gone wrong. If all is well, you can delete the old directory after a few days/weeks/months/if you need the space.