Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX and WiFi Only stations

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

TechnoDribble
Weather Station: Maplin /FO; Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Win 10 / Pi

Cumulus MX and WiFi Only stations

Post by TechnoDribble »

Hi, it is with some despair that I find my old and trusty maplin/FO weather station is beginning to die after nearly 10 years of reliable and relatively trouble free use.
The last three years or so it has been feeding my Pi and Cumulus MX.

However after dialogue with FO in China I have decided to take the plunge on a new HP2550 system, but much to my dismay I have discovered that the output only goes to Internet based locations like Wunderground. I understand that they have also started a cloud based platform (ecowitt.net) to store data and wondered if it could be possible to have the Pi pull data periodically from this platform so that I can keep my lovely MX!

Failing that I understand that it can log to a memory card and this might be exportable into MX.
Any suggestions on how to keep using MX?
I am also getting the new GW-1000 gateway which basically reads the sensor suite and can publish direct to the internet. Information seems sketchy on this product so I don't know if there will be any better options through that.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus MX and WiFi Only stations

Post by mcrossley »

One possible solution is an "interceptor", which simulates one of the internet endpoints and captures the data (and think can forward it on to its original destination).

Various people have written these, and if you could modify one to write the data in easyweather file format then Cumulus could read that as input.

I think weewx has such a beast, that will be written in Python I expect, and could maybe be hacked around?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am also getting the new GW-1000 gateway which basically reads the sensor suite and can publish direct to the internet. Information seems sketchy on this product so I don't know if there will be any better options through that.
I have the GW1000 for testing and the only way I have found to see data is to use the Ecowitt .net site. It can sent to WU, WOW and some others as well. I only have the soil moisture and PW2,5 air quality sensors, not the weather station.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

TechnoDribble

Post by TechnoDribble »

Thanks Chaps, I will take a look at WeeWx. I presume a SDR is needed as well in the Pi in order to capture the sensor transmissions?
Looks like my trusty N96GY has finally given up in the gales this week.
While I wait for my new kit to wing its way from China and Fine Offset/Ecowitt I will do some reading up on WeeWx.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Weewx may do sdr, but then you'll need to provide at least the pressure reading from another sensor.

The intercept works on the web uploads from your device to the central server.
Mark007
Weather Station: IP Observer.
Operating System: Linux

Post by Mark007 »

Hi all,

will watch this thread with interest....

I use RTL_433 which sniffs data via RF and works really well. It also see my current cost power monitor.

RTL_433 runs on a pi/tinker/cubie/sbc I currently use a gitbub pyhton script into MQTT then another python script into influx on a VM and then into grafana for semi live eye candy.

I'm not a coder, but have bodged things to get stuff working. so pretty sure it wouldn't be too diffcult to get our wonderfull cumulus (which I used for many years before the FO station died last year. ) to read something like a json across IP, or to translate into davis format via IP ????

just my 6d worth...

Mark,
Sussex Coast.
TechnoDribble

Post by TechnoDribble »

While I wait for my new Ecowitt/Fine Offset station to arrive I have been doing a lot of investigation.
There is a phone app (ws View) that allows live data viewing from either the Gateway (Gw-1000) or the console.
So, this must imply that you could in theory write some code that reads the data direct from the console/gateway via IP and stores it in a format that cumulus can digest.
I had a look at the app decompiled and it made no sense to me ( I have never programmed in Java) and my skills are very rusty these days anyway.
However the principals must stand that if an app can read the data it must be possible to store and manipulate via any network attached device like a Pi!
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

I have an Ecowitt GW1000. I've done a port scan and found port 45000 TCP open. But get nothing when I try Telnet, SSH, HTTP to that port. This must be the port that is used to talk to the GW1000 via the WS View app, but I've got no idea what method it uses.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
TechnoDribble

Post by TechnoDribble »

Hi Galfert (I'm also Mandrake! BTW on the WX forum!) I have been doing some research and I have found the following Python script someone wrote for the HP1000 series consoles.

https://github.com/wrbelfield/ws1001wxdata

If you look at the script you can see its easy to alter the code to talk to whatever port you require.
I figure each type of console/gateway must talk on a different port to avoid a conflict since the apps seem to use a broadcast to initiate the conversation.
In any case I am suspecting that the response is likely to use the same protocol so I am planning to do some tinkering at some point.
I would be delighted if I can get the script working and writing a easyweather.dat file for Cumulus MX to process on my PI.
Anyway since I am still a few days away from getting my clammy hands on my new kit I shall have to wait but if anyone else agrees that this might work and has a go that would be great too.