Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release v3.0.0 build 3047 - 03 February 2019. See the Wiki for download

Cumulus MX install

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.

Moderator: mcrossley

Worf
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Cumulus MX install

Post by Worf » Tue 05 Feb 2019 10:03 pm

Please bear with me as a non techy pensioneer!
I have been running Cumulus 1 for many years on my pc (currently [url]nttp://www.aberdaronweather.co.uk[/url] ) but realise that this format is now not "responsive"
I take it that that is why Cumulus MX has been developed.
I have found the download and installation instructions viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908
Do the installation instructions dated 2015 still apply, or is there a newer version?
Would it be easier for the likes of me to start with a completely new installation in case I lose everything trying to migrate my current data.? (or would I be better to leave well enough alone at my age :roll: )

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus MX install

Post by mcrossley » Tue 05 Feb 2019 11:28 pm

There is no compelling reason to migrate to MX, Cumulus 1 should carry on chugging away for the foreseeable future. The drop down lists for some items in C1 only go up to 2020, though that will not prevent anything working. If however there is some Windows type update that breaks things in teh future, then we are not going be able to fix C1 and you would be forced to migrate.

I *always* recommend you install MX in parallel with C1 rather than over the top. Then you can fiddle with it until you are happy just by ending C1 and starting MX. After each "fiddle" just stop MX, start C1 and it will catch up from where it left off. Once you are happy with MX then perform a final copy of the data files from C1 to MX and you're done.

Do read the installation notes and the FAQ carefully - there are some minor changes required to the data .ini files (and Cumulus.ini) in order for them to work properly with MX.

Worf
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Cumulus MX install

Post by Worf » Wed 06 Feb 2019 10:52 am

Many thanks for that. The only reason for changing, is to make it more "mobile friendly".
I will give it a try.