Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX on a Synology NAS

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

caerhays
Weather Station: Watson W8681
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

CumulusMX on a Synology NAS

Post by caerhays »

Hi all,

I have CumulusMX running on my Windows 10 Notebook PC communicating successfully with a Watson 8681 (Fine Offset) Weather Station.

I would like to leave it running permanently but can't leave my notebook on all the time. I do have a home network with a Synology DS215J diskstation running 16 hours per day, 365 days/year. If I could run CumulusMX on the NAS (which has a USB port) I could leave it permanently connected and access it from anywhere in the world.

Has anyone any experience of running Cumulus on an NAS. I have only run the packages that come with the Synology NAS to date and have no idea if it would work, or for that matter if it did work, how to get it installed. The diskstation runs a version of Linux and so it should be capable of running CumulusMX.

Anyway, I put it out there for forum members to consider and advise if possible. I am willing to give it a go but need some pointers rather than to go in blindly. I ran Linux Mint on my previous PC for three years so I do have some knowledge of Linux systems.

Regards, Phil
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: CumulusMX on a Synology NAS

Post by freddie »

If you can upgrade and add packages then I would say yes. To run Cumulus you need to install the mono-complete package.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

If you search the forum I'm sure that someone else was running on a Synology NAS
caerhays
Weather Station: Watson W8681
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Post by caerhays »

Thanks Mark,

Yes, there are posts regarding trying to run it on a Synology NAS but none have succeded so far. I have checked and a beta package of Mono is available on the NAS . I think I may have to leave it for others on this forum whom I think know more about what they are doing than I do. I may try to see if I can get it to run in a Virtual Drive on the NAS.

Thanks again for your responses.

Phil
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I found this page on Synology, looks like there is Mono support on some of their platforms, but I haven't dug any further.
kc2kzz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian on Pi B+

Post by kc2kzz »

You might be better off running a vm on the NAS and using Ubuntu or something. I have found that some things just don't run right on their version of linux.