Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Notice for those using MX and making some MySQL changes

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Notice for those using MX and making some MySQL changes

Post by BigOkie »

Thought I would document a defect I found (don't worry Steve I'm not calling for a fix, just noting for other users) that involves decommisioning MySQL in MX.

Last week I took my MySQL server offline while I shuffle hardware around. In doing so, I deactivated MySQL on MX (obviously) and blanked out every field. It appears that MX changes the port value to '-1' when blanking out all fields. Over the course of the following days I noticed my hi/low values were not being updated in today.ini properly. I thought maybe I had a faulty disk (RPI3, so I thought maybe the SD card was going bad) so I did some moving and swapping. Nothing.

Finally, I started MX manually (I had been allowing the script provided in the forum to start it) and it threw an exception related to MySQL and a port value I think. I was so tired doing it I didn't copy it down.

I went back to my backup config files from before and though "populate port field with the MySQL default (3306)". I did that and restarted and all was well.

So note: even if you are not running a mysql server, it appears that the default port value needs to be in there (or ostensibly some other non zero or non negative value) or you may have problems starting MySQL, as well as freezing your high/low values at the point before you set the port value to the zero or negative value)

Just a heads up to those who may have had issue with this.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Notice for those using MX and making some MySQL changes

Post by steve »

It's because it initialises the objects for the 'custom' sql operations without checking that 'enabled' is set, which it does for the 'non custom' ones. I'm not sure why I didn't put the check in, but presumably the component code throws an exception if an invalid port number is supplied.
Steve