Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Post by harrym1byt »

I am getting the very same lack of data issue, whether via the hopto site or by entering my WAN IP. It must be my router or the Pi blocking the data, but I am at a loss as to why...
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

harrym1byt wrote:New problem -sorry :o

http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/gauges.html

I have added the port and etc. through my router, to the R Pi's weather site, that seems to be working via the above link, it is showing the gauges and I can click the buttons, select everything, but ----- there is no data showing at all on any of the pages. Looking at the pages via my LAN, the pages show up perfectly with data.
Clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. You may find out that you can't actually get to it that way. If you haven't messed with the install any then sockets will be default and you will need to forward port 8002 as well as 8998.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

BigOkie wrote:
harrym1byt wrote:New problem -sorry :o

http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/gauges.html

I have added the port and etc. through my router, to the R Pi's weather site, that seems to be working via the above link, it is showing the gauges and I can click the buttons, select everything, but ----- there is no data showing at all on any of the pages. Looking at the pages via my LAN, the pages show up perfectly with data.
Clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. You may find out that you can't actually get to it that way. If you haven't messed with the install any then sockets will be default and you will need to forward port 8002 as well as 8998.
Cache cleared and port 8002 added to point to the Pi's IP and now it seems to be fully working :D

If someone would care to test it from outside my LAN and confirm it - http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/index.html

[EDIT] I have just realised there is a problem...

The MX settings are not protected by a password, so anyone going to the above Pi website, could reconfigure MX.
Steve - any chance you could password lock the settings please?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

harrym1byt wrote:Steve - any chance you could password lock the settings please?
I don't believe that's possible, given that the 'web server' built into MX is very simple.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

To access the MX console pages remotely and display data you will also have to allow the web sockets port through your router.

It's still a bad idea to do this though.
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

mcrossley wrote:It's still a bad idea to do this though.
+1

Please have a look at OpenVPN, I do have it running on one of my Raspberry.
Port forward of one UDP port :clap:
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I would suggest, as you have been told a couple of times, it is a bad idea to open ports to the Pi to allow access to what are meant to be internal web displayed pages. You are asking to be hacked. CumulusMX does not have any security whatsoever to stop people accessing your setup, and it is very unlikely it will ever have this, as these pages were not designed for this use.

Why can't you host a web page using the supplied web pages and do it that way?
David
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

water01 wrote:I would suggest, as you have been told a couple of times, it is a bad idea to open ports to the Pi to allow access to what are meant to be internal web displayed pages. You are asking to be hacked. CumulusMX does not have any security whatsoever to stop people accessing your setup, and it is very unlikely it will ever have this, as these pages were not designed for this use.

Why can't you host a web page using the supplied web pages and do it that way?
I have done that in the past, but I was thinking it would be better to directly host the site on the Pi instead - as the Pi is intended to be constantly on and available.. Obviously now I understand it would leave it open, so better to forget that idea.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

You can host your web site on your Pi, that isn't a problem (with the right security measures), but exposing the MX user interface to the world is not a good idea.
Steve