Welcome to the new home of the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See the Wiki for download

My upgrade from Cumulus 1.9.4 (win) to Cumulus MX (rpi)

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
Post Reply
david3
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat 28 Jan 2012 4:03 pm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Stretch
Location: Philippines
Contact:

My upgrade from Cumulus 1.9.4 (win) to Cumulus MX (rpi)

Post by david3 » Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:46 pm

I recently upgraded from Cumulus 1.9.4 (build 1099) running on Windows to Cumulus MX (v3.0.0 build 3043) running on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (Raspbian Stretch).

I ran into a few hiccups I thought I'd note in case it helps somebody else doing this upgrade later. I imagine these would not be issues for a new install; they were just issues because I moved my old data over.

While the date formats in many of the files were changed automatically when starting Cumulus MX for the first time, some were not, and it caused incorrect data on my website.

These are the ones I remember having to change manually to the YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:DD format.

Cumulus.ini - StartDate

today.ini - Timestamp

alltime.ini - all date/times

month.ini - all date/times

I also had to change the NOAA settings.

Original Cumulus 1.9.4
MonthFileFormat="NOAAMO"mmyy".txt"
YearFileFormat="NOAAYR"yyyy".txt"

New Cumulus MX
MonthFileFormat='NOAAMO'MMyy'.txt'
YearFileFormat='NOAAYR'yyyy'.txt'

I'm not sure the single quotes are necessary, but the "mm" wasn't working for sure (it needed to be "MM").

Also, I was starting Cumulus.exe with "-lang en-PH" since that's what I used when I installed Raspbian.

But when it changed the date format in most of the files, it reversed the month and day. In my old files it was "MM-DD-YYYY"
which I thought should be ok, since en-PH uses the same date format (and the same as en-US).

When I restored the original data files and started Cumulus.exe with "-lang en-US" it converted the dates properly, so I just
use that now and it seems to work fine.

I think it's a bug with the en-PH definition in .NET and not something specific to Cumulus MX. I'm not sure if there's problems with definitions for other locales, but maybe something to check if the month and day is getting reversed.
Image

User avatar
mcrossley
Posts: 5210
Joined: Thu 07 Jan 2010 9:44 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: My upgrade from Cumulus 1.9.4 (win) to Cumulus MX (rpi)

Post by mcrossley » Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:08 pm

That should be useful to someone, thanks.

And, yes, there have been other reports of problems with the mono locale settings.

Post Reply