Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release v3.1.2 build 3055 - 4 November 2019.
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014

See the Wiki for downloading either version.

Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.

Moderator: mcrossley

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+ w/Envoy USB
Operating System: Windows-8

Re: Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Post by PaulMy » Mon 14 Oct 2019 9:20 pm

I have read most of the posts here over the past months (just quickly scanned as these were posted) but to be honest most has been over my head. I now have the RPi put in a case and ready to give it a go. I've downloaded these https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and not sure which to use. I know this is likely mentioned in previous posts here but :oops: there has been so much info I am not sure which would be most applicable for me. I presume that once I have downloaded the OS, unzipped, then can put on micro card and place that in the RPi. I intend to use the WiFiLogger Meteo-Pi logger (Davis Vue console) CumulusMX. So could I ask which OS to use, and am I on the right track? Thank you in advance!

Enjoy,

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley » Mon 14 Oct 2019 9:49 pm

Paul, it really depends on what you are going to be comfortable with. Do you want a full desktop environment, or will you be happy with just a command line?

CMX only *requires* a command line install, and that is what I use, especially on the Meteo-pi where processing power is very limited. It also cuts down number of required updates on the future dramatically. This is the "Lite" download.

Setting up a "headless" install that requires no keyboard or mouse on your pi is very easy now. You just need to create a file on the SD card from your Windows PC to define the WiFi network and it will connect the first time you boot it (or you can use a wired connection of course). Another file edit enables SSH which gives you your remote access to the command line.

I'm on my phone at the mo, I'm sure others can come in with proper links, but Google creating a headless install for Raspbian.

We could probably do with a wiki page on setting up a rPi for CMX. Any volunteers?

Xroads
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Linux

Post by Xroads » Mon 14 Oct 2019 11:36 pm

Mcrossley, thanks it worked perfectly.

Regds
Max

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata » Sun 27 Oct 2019 11:55 am

How feasible would it be to create a downloadable and zipped Raspbian image with Mono/CMX pre-installed? Pi users could then just download the zip and use eg Etcher to set up a new SD card - a relatively quick and easy way to get up and running with CMX on a Pi.

Really just asking in principle - not necessarily expecting anyone to do it.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor » Sun 27 Oct 2019 5:55 pm

PaulMy wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 9:20 pm
I know this is likely mentioned in previous posts here but :oops: there has been so much info I am not sure which would be most applicable for me.
The long first post in this thread contains everything you need, neatly laid out in order. There are a lot of steps to go through, but not difficult.

The subsequent posts are comments/discussion/problems people encountered/errors that have been fixed etc etc. But I have kept the initial post up-to-date as changes and corrections emerged - so that's why you shouldn't need to read the rest.

Best wishes and good luck!

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor » Sun 27 Oct 2019 6:01 pm

prodata wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019 11:55 am
How feasible would it be to create a downloadable and zipped Raspbian image with Mono/CMX pre-installed? Pi users could then just download the zip and use eg Etcher to set up a new SD card - a relatively quick and easy way to get up and running with CMX on a Pi.

Really just asking in principle - not necessarily expecting anyone to do it.
Here's your answer John - or at least the start of it.
Xroads wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 8:21 am
Hello to all.
I have succesfully used the Raspberry image from www.fracassi.net, with great thanks to Fracassi Andrea. The only tiny problem is that the forecasts is in Italian language, ie " Quasi bello, possibilli rovesci a breve".
Anyone know how to change this to English?
Max
This is a reference to someone who has indeed built a Raspberry Pi image including Cumulus MX - and Max reports successful use.
I tried using something similar previously but it did not work successfully for me.
It is likely for example that the image required would be different for different versions of Raspberry Pi - it used to be that the same SD card would work in them all, but now it seems that mono installs itself differently depending on the the model it is in (wasn't it you John who told me this earlier - I have since verified that you are correct and SD can no longer just be moved eg from Pi 3 to Pi Zero)

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata » Mon 28 Oct 2019 4:59 pm

OK, thanks. Yes, it was me who reported trouble moving a card from Pi 3 to Pi 0 while setting up a CMX installation, but wasn't sure that maybe I just wasn't following the instructions carefully enough! But reassuring as a sanity check that it wasn't just me!

OK, so different images might be needed for eg Pi 3 and Pi 0, as a minimum, with Pi 4 maybe an unknown quantity as yet. And with some final configuration as to locale etc still being necessary. But food for thought for those new to using Pi's and the instructions then could just be (in outline):

1. Download the relevant image;
2. Use Etcher
3. Do any necessary final configuration

Oh and sorry - I hadn't looked back at the previous page of posts before asking my question - that would have provided the answer!
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk

HansR
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Post by HansR » Wed 30 Oct 2019 2:06 pm

With respect to the filename issue which has caused some problems and discussion recently, I can tell, that for my configuration the problem has disappeared with the recently implemented workaround in Cumulus 3.1.0-b3053. I updated everything and am fully up to date now: see my signature.
Thanks Mark!!
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl / Cumulus MX 3.1.0-b3053
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ / Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) / Linux 4.19.75-v7+ armv7l
Mono JIT compiler version 6.4.0.198 (tarball Tue Sep 24 01:45:47 UTC 2019)

Dave
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2

Post by Dave » Mon 11 Nov 2019 2:20 pm

A quick post to say thanks for all of the info contained in this original (and updated) post as well as the many contributions in the discussion that followed. There has been some recent discussion on compatibilities with the various versions of the software used, so here is my experience. I did a clean install yesterday with a Raspberry Pi 4 model B and Meteo-Pi data logger, US/English/UTF-8, Raspian Buster (upgraded 11/10/19), Mono v6.4.0.198 and CumulusMX v3.1.2 build 3055. No problems at all! Everything just works, including moving my CumulusMX data from my other system that began in April of 2017. ;)