Welcome to the new home of the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3044 7 December 2018. See the Wiki for download

Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.

Moderator: mcrossley

sutne
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR100
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Re: Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Post by sutne » Sun 23 Sep 2018 11:45 am

phipps wrote: I do have a couple questions, what's the reasoning behind doing a reboot every night?
I am running CumulusMX on a Pi without problems and I never reboot.
phipps wrote:Also, what's the "safest" way to shut down CumulusMX and the Pi if I need to make changes or move it, etc?
Use this script: http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7; Linux

Post by ExperiMentor » Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for finding an error in my instructions. The "For some reason" was that I had got a long hyphen (En-dash) instead of a short one in the code section saying

Code: Select all

sudo crontab -e
Now fixed.

Daily reboot is not particularly needed. It's just generally a good idea on any computer running anything continuously, a good habit. It just ensures that any over-filling buffers get flushed, etc. And if something had gone wrong with Cumulus MX or any other running program (I run other things too on the same Pi), everything gets neatly restarted, so that problems get a chance to fix themselves eg if you are away on holiday.

To stop a Pi running Cumulus MX, you can just logon using SSH (eg, PuTTY) and type

Code: Select all

sudo halt
and once all the lights stop flashing the Pi has stopped and you can disconnect the power.

If you don't want Cumulus MX to start when you plug the power in again, comment out the relevant line in sudo crontab -e before halting, and put it back in again when you do want it to restart.

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Aercus WS3083 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by odintheterrible » Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:18 am

Greetings,
I have a spare Raspberry Pi Model B+ V1.2 sitting in the cupboard doing nothing and as I already have MX running on an oldish micro PC I was wondering if this Pi is suitable for the MX installation as per your guide ???

Just as a matter of interest, do you know if anyone has tried using the 'BT's Global Sager Weathercaster PHP Scripts For Cumulus' with any success as I'm running into a brick wall with it ... http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9901'

Thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !

dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: raspberry pi 3 +

Post by dazza1223 » Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:24 am

hi yh that will fun fine on the the pi 2 (3 be better ) but pi 2 be ok you just have to set up mono

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13587
have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Aercus WS3083 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by odintheterrible » Sun 07 Oct 2018 12:50 pm

Cheers ;)
Just one quick question ... when I have MX installed on the Pi, is there a way to change the port settings that CumulusMX will use ??
I ask this as I've already got it running on a stand alone mini pc using ports 8998 and 8002 ... I think.

I know it's theoretically possible to forward these ports to other pc's as well but my TP-Link router won't facilitate forwarding the same port numberto 2 different IPs.

So, is it possible to change the port numbers in MX and if so, how do I do this ??

Many thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !

phipps
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88A
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Post by phipps » Mon 22 Oct 2018 9:27 pm

ExperiMentor wrote: Daily reboot is not particularly needed. It's just generally a good idea on any computer running anything continuously, a good habit. It just ensures that any over-filling buffers get flushed, etc. And if something had gone wrong with Cumulus MX or any other running program (I run other things too on the same Pi), everything gets neatly restarted, so that problems get a chance to fix themselves eg if you are away on holiday.
I agree, an occasional reboot is a good thing. What command in crontab would I use to do a reboot once a week, say Sunday morning? Can you set up a reboot every other day? Does that require a seperate line in crontab for each reboot?

Thanks,

Gary

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7; Linux

Post by ExperiMentor » Thu 15 Nov 2018 10:44 pm

Just to prove it, mine crashed the other day. I happened to notice nothing was being uploaded to the internet. The Pi was still running when I logged in and a simple 'sudo reboot' fixed everything. If I hadn't been there, it would have been sorted overnight.

The following crontab line will run on even numbered days (not quite the same thing as every other day, but near enough?) at 04 47. The */2 does the trick. I presume you could use */3 for every 3rd day.

57 4 */2 * * sudo reboot

There are various online crontab tools to do the hard work for you. For example, https://crontab-generator.org/

ndhooghe
Operating System: raspbian

Post by ndhooghe » Sat 01 Dec 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for your instructions! I was able to get CumulusMX running on my raspberry pi 3b without any issues. I do have a problem though connecting to my weatherstation. I have a Davis Vantage Vue which is connected through a usb data logger.
I see that by default it selects COM0 when I select Davis Vantage Vue as station type. When I connect my weatherstation via usb I see /dev/ttyUSB0 appearing. Are there any drivers I need to install? Which serial portname should I configure in CumulusMX ?

water01
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit HP SP1

Post by water01 » Sat 01 Dec 2018 9:36 pm

◾Serial device names on Linux are not COM0 etc as in Windows. You need to specify something like /dev/ttyUSB0 - do a dmesg at a command line prompt and look for the actual device name from your adapter. If dmesg says your cp210x converter (as on Davis stations) is attached to ttyUSB0, for example, you need to put /dev/ttyUSB0 for the serial port name in MX. You can set the serial port name in the MX user interface, but if for some reason you want to do it by editing Cumulus.ini, note that the item in MX is called ComportName (which is a string, for the full device name, e.g. COM1 or /dev/ttyUSB0) rather than 'Port' which is just an integer. If you have not run MX yet, this item will not exist, so you will need to add it (in the [Station] section).
From the Cumulus MX wiki https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Cumulus_MX_FAQ

ndhooghe
Operating System: raspbian

Post by ndhooghe » Sun 02 Dec 2018 9:13 am

water01 wrote:
Sat 01 Dec 2018 9:36 pm
◾Serial device names on Linux are not COM0 etc as in Windows. You need to specify something like /dev/ttyUSB0 - do a dmesg at a command line prompt and look for the actual device name from your adapter. If dmesg says your cp210x converter (as on Davis stations) is attached to ttyUSB0, for example, you need to put /dev/ttyUSB0 for the serial port name in MX. You can set the serial port name in the MX user interface, but if for some reason you want to do it by editing Cumulus.ini, note that the item in MX is called ComportName (which is a string, for the full device name, e.g. COM1 or /dev/ttyUSB0) rather than 'Port' which is just an integer. If you have not run MX yet, this item will not exist, so you will need to add it (in the [Station] section).
From the Cumulus MX wiki https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Cumulus_MX_FAQ
Thanks a lot! I can now connect to my weather station. :clap: