Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problem: Aercus WS3083 station and MX ....

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Problem: Aercus WS3083 station and MX ....

Post by odintheterrible »

Hi,
After buying the Aeurcus WS3083 station a while back I took the opportunity to convert to Cumulus MX.
Everything has been going OK. However, yesterday, I received a notice advising that the data from the station had stopped; which was a bit of a surprise as the base station is showing all of the data.
So, I've renewed all of the batteries with AA Lithium units, rebooted everything and still Cumulus MX reports that it cannot access the data ... even though the main screen (plugged into the PC with USB cable) is still showing all of the real time data.
Anyone offer a reason for this behaviour please ??

Thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Problem: Aercus WS3083 station and MX ....

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

It sounds like the classic "USB Lockup" issue with the (more recent) Fine Offset stations. A quick forum search found around 50 threads on the topic; basically you probably need to set the "Synchronise Fine Offset Reads" option. But here is a thread with an answer from the horse's mouth. ;)

Cheers, Alan.
vr34
Weather Station: Bresser WLAN 7-in-1 (7003300)
Operating System: Raspberry OS Bullseye, CumulusMX

Post by vr34 »

Hi,
My PWS is also an Aercus Instrument WS3083 that often stops sending its data to the PC due to the wellknown @!#@ USB lockup
My PWS was previoulsy connected to my old win7 netbook, without any battery in the WS display (the display is powered by the USB):
1) none of my several attempts modyfiying the "synchronise Fine Offset Reads" option did not fix the lockup. :(
2) a simple reboot of the pc is sufficient to shortly switch off/on the PWS display but is not sufficient to kill the lockup. :(
Now my PWS is connected to my new Raspberry Pi3:
Rebooting the RPi is sufficient to kill the lockup :D
I am a newbie in Raspbian but recently succeeded to create a short python script (my first script!) that check the value of the outside temperature. If the last 5 consecutive values of realtime.txt are the same, the program boots the RPi. Of course, /etc/rc.local file is completed to automatically start CumulusMX at boot and, thx to steve, CumulusMX allows to periodicaly run any external program: my py script :D
If you are interested in this short py script and its setup with RPi and CumulusMX, please tell me.
Regards,
vr34
wwuk
Weather Station: WS3083
Operating System: Jessie

Post by wwuk »

Hi

I too have received my first 'USB Lockup' only 3 days into active service..

Same PITA to set the system back again -
stop CMX
disconnect USB
take battery out of receiver
put battery back
plug USB back in
resync tranmitter/receiver
set time on receiver
start CMX
adjust rainfall etc..

Will have to look into not using the batteries, and rebooting the Pi Zero on station loss.

Chris
https://whitchurchweather.uk

Aercus WS3083 > RPI Zero W > CumulusMX > Weather34 CU-HRV-MYSQL
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I think it’s quite possible that the “synchronise” algorithm is deficient on stations with solar sensors (as I’ve mentioned previously) due to the additional data updates. I’m afraid this is not something I’ll be able to do anything about any time soon.
Steve