Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX gets no connection to Wh1080

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

l2k
Weather Station: wh1080 fine offset (pce fws-20)
Operating System: linux mint/debian stretch

Re: CumulusMX gets no connection to Wh1080

Post by l2k »

yesterday i tried to resolve the problem with my new raspbian stretch and a fine offset station; in stretch mono version is 4.6.2 (https://packages.debian.org/it/stretch/mono-complete) that is not functioning properly with fine offset, so i installed mono version 4.0.5 (i'm using it on another installation of raspian+cumulusmx+fineoffset):
- add repo 'deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5 main' in /etc/apt/sources.list
- aptitude update (ignore :roll: if some errors appear about mono signature)
- aptitude install mono-complete=4.0.5.1-0xamarin1 (attention: you have to try aptitude to find the best solution to install the right version)

next time you'll update raspbian you have to pay attention not to upgrade mono, don't use apt-get dist-upgrade (it is recommended to use apt-mark to hold mono version 4.0.5) you have to use 'apt-mark hold mono-runtime mono-complete' to hold version (otherwise with dist-upgrade mono will be upgrade); with this config cumulusmx+fine offset is ok as you can see on my weather site :D (http://www.leone2000.net).

edit: add command to update repo; add instruction for apt-mark
Last edited by l2k on Mon 18 Sep 2017 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
maccpl
Weather Station: PCE-FWS-20
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Post by maccpl »

I really wish I knew what magic you performed to get your Fine Offset station to be recognized by CumulusMX. I originally had my Pi3 configured with Raspbian Jessie 8 and Mono 5.0. I tried all the tips I could find here, but none of them worked. There was no TTYdev0 showing up on my machine. On the contrary, when I inserted the USB cable, a new folder opened up in the Dev folder called "usb". Inside was a single file called hiddev0 (or something much like that). After I read this a some similar posts I downgraded to Mono 3.19 or so. Still have the usb folder and also noticed that there is an additional device showing up in the Dev folder... I think it was hidraw0 or something like that.

After several days fighting this, I decided to take the weekend off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking that running Jessie 8 may be part of the problem.

JR In Florida
fabiochi
Weather Station: WS 1080
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by fabiochi »

I got into similar problem with Stretch and the default mono 4.6.2 version
After struggling for more than 2 days I solved downgrading mono to 4.0.5.1 from Wheezy following @l2k's recommendations.
Now CumuluxMX is able to connect to my fine offset meteo station again
fabio
sv1kwz
Weather Station: 1
Operating System: 1

Post by sv1kwz »

my problem is the following.

rpi with raspbian stretch.

i follow the @l2k instructions to install mono 4.0.5 (as mono 4.6.2 has problem detecting my ws)

sudo aptitude install mono-complete=4.0.5.1-0xamarin1
Unable to find a version "4.0.5.1-0xamarin1" for the package "mono-complete"
Unable to apply some actions, aborting

is something wrong ?
vr34
Weather Station: Bresser WLAN 7-in-1 (7003300)
Operating System: Raspberry OS Bullseye, CumulusMX

Post by vr34 »

Hi sv1kwz,
I am quite new in Raspberry and cumulusMX and intends to pass my fine offset ws3083 from Win7+Cumulus1.9 to Rasberry Pi3/CumulusMX
I did a first step from Win7+Cumulus1.9 to Win7+CumulusMX with success ;)

About mono 4.0.5.1, I found this page : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/337 ... on-of-mono

Hope it will help.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

3.2.8 maybe old, but its the only one that seems to be stable with Fine offset Weather stations.

If stretch has 5, just uninstall, edit your sources.list to include the mono that works for you then install mono.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

vr34
Weather Station: Bresser WLAN 7-in-1 (7003300)
Operating System: Raspberry OS Bullseye, CumulusMX

Post by vr34 »

Thx Toxic17 for your message.
mono of my Pi3 under jessie is 3.2.8. My fine offset WS3083 is recognized by CumulusMX now (please do not ask me how I downgraded mono from 5.2 to 3.2.8 as I cannot answer: I tried so many things that I cannot remember their history, lol) The webpages are updated (not all *) but no data is displayed in localhost:8998. I can see the localhost:8998 interface but without any value in dashboard, now, gauges, ...
It was updated well when my WS was plugged on my old netbook win7+CumulusMX. I just copied the whole folder CumulusMX to my new Pi3.

* 'now', 'today', ... are updated,
some graphs of 'trends' are updated but for instance 'temperature/day' is empty even if CumulusMX/data/dayfile.txt is ok... same for rainfall/day and solar/day. (you can visit my French weather web pages on my contact profile ;). "courbes" is trends)

Also, when I press 'save' button in any page of the localhost:8998 interface, the answer is always "error [object Object]"

At least, concerning the installation of any older version of mono (3.2.8 or 4.0.5.1), please could you write the full line of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list to be replace from

Code: Select all

deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian raspbianjessie main
Regards, vr34
SpaceHiker
Weather Station: Ambient WS-2095
Operating System: xp

Post by SpaceHiker »

Running the same config as l2k, but I can't get his config to work. No matter what solution I try within aptitude, the install fails due to dependencies, and mono just returns "illegal instruction" when executed.

As the required version of mono continues to fall farther behind, dependencies are going to become impossible to meet. It's getting kind of ridiculous. Hopefully a solution will be found that will allow MX to run with current versions of mono.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

SpaceHiker wrote:It's getting kind of ridiculous. Hopefully a solution will be found that will allow MX to run with current versions of mono.
Here's a link to the USB library which MX uses. The source code is available. Assuming that the problem isn't a bug in later versions of Mono, the solution is presumably to make that library work with later versions of Mono. This is not something that I am in a position to do.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/HidSharp/
Steve
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

Also this is working now with German Locale and a LaCrosse WS2350 with Serial2USB Adapter

Linux OS Version: "Raspbian GNU/Linux" - DEBIAN - 9 (STRETCH) - 4.9.41-v7+
Mono Version: Mono JIT compiler version 5.2.0.215 (tarball Mon Aug 14 16:25:12 UTC 2017)
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907
SpaceHiker

Post by SpaceHiker »

steve wrote: Here's a link to the USB library which MX uses. The source code is available. Assuming that the problem isn't a bug in later versions of Mono, the solution is presumably to make that library work with later versions of Mono. This is not something that I am in a position to do.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/HidSharp/
Thanks! Like everyone else, time is a precious resource for me, but I'll try to take a look in the near future. I do a bit of open source development so I should be able to figure this out.
SpaceHiker

Post by SpaceHiker »

What I know so far:

1. Hidsharp development was abandoned in 2013.
2. In 2015 an update was made to mono that changed the path of libraries from .../lib64 to .../lib. This caused a lot of stuff to break and there are complaints about it all over the 'net from that time period.
3. Hidsharp functionality broke at that same time: System.MissingMethodException: Method 'Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall.uname' not found.
4. Because Hidsharp had already been abandoned, it was never fixed.
5. It's likely that there's a hardcoded path to .../lib64 in there somewhere, so that's what I'm going to look for next. If that's the case, it should be a simple fix.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Well done - and good luck!
Steve
mrkencollins
Weather Station: aercus instruments ws3083
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mrkencollins »

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I recently tried to get CumulusMX running with a PI 3, but couldnt make debian stretch download a working version of mono.

I re-flashed my SD card with a version of raspian jessie lite from July 2017 and it installed Mono 3.8.2 without any tinkering.

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspb ... 017-07-05/

I use raspian lite as it is a headless server, but the full version has the GUI too:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspb ... 017-07-05/

It connected to my WS3083 first time, and hasn't missed a beat in 7 days.

Ken
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This is really how I imagined that people would use MX on a Pi - use a stable working Raspbian/Mono release and just leave it alone.
Steve