Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Website gauges not working

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Website gauges not working

Post by malc-c »

I'm still getting to grips with MX and get en error on my website when the gauges have been selected.

One the page is loaded the gauges show -20 to +40, but when the option to select one of the choices on the radio buttons the temperature gauges display -10000 to 9940 and an Error not found message at the top of the screen.

I've also tried copying over the files and webfolders to my Cumulus 1 folder and updating through that and get the same error. Can anyone shed some light on what's wrong and how I can get the gauges working

Thanks
Regards

Malcolm
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Re: Website gauges not working

Post by rogerthn »

Do you have realtimegaugesT.txt in Settings => Extra web files?
malc-c

Post by malc-c »

Hi,

Originally no, but have added that as suggested and still no joy.

I've also confirmed that the same file has been uploaded to the remote website via FTP. I can't get them to work regardless of using MX or Cumulus 1. http://localhost:8998/gauges.html displays the gauges correctly, it's just the web page that is hosted remotely that doesn't work, and I've tried both chrome and firefox browsers, with java fully updated.
Regards

Malcolm
N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

Malcom:

What is the URL to the weather portion of your website?

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Your Cumulus website is at http://www.micro-heli.co.uk/weather
but the realtimegauges.txt is not there http://www.micro-heli.co.uk/weather/realtimegauges.txt
so likely a path issue somewhere.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

malc-c

Post by malc-c »

Thanks for the replies guys, and I admire the detective work ;)

I've searched my PC for any file with "realtimegauges" in the body and only have the realtimegaugesT.txt file on my system, which was the one I uploaded. I opened up the zip file for build 3041 and checked to see if it was part of the build that didn't get unzipped, but it's not there either... should it have been ?

So I followed the suggestion of renaming the file (having made a copy of the file first) and removed the T. Uploaded the file to the micro-heli.co.uk/weather folder and ran MX to test it - this time when I launched the gauge page I get a different error in the status bar "syntax error: unexpected token < in JSON at position 1918" and the gauges still display -10000 - 9940
Regards

Malcolm
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

That realtimegaugesT.txt file is to be put in Cumulus extra files for processing and uploading as realtimegauges.txt. The realtimegaugesT is a template and the processed realtimegauges is the data file used by ssgauges.

Not sure if your "syntax error: is caused by lack of correct realtimegauges.txt but get this fixed first.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

malc-c

Post by malc-c »

Thanks Paul,

I had corrected the entry in the "extra files" under settings, but still get the same error.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll do a clean re-install of MX and remove the V1 files from my website before copying over the new MX version. Thanks for your help though
Regards

Malcolm
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Your http://www.micro-heli.co.uk/weather/realtimegauges.txt is still showing the template content so that file is not processed or there is an incorrect path to your remote. Delete the existing realtimegauges.txt from your webserver and then see if it gets re-uploaded at the next Cumulus update, and what does it contain.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

Malcom:

You need to configure the file settings like so:
realtime.PNG
Obviously the pathing will need to be changed to match your setup, but the check boxes and file names are correct.

As of this writing your system is not processing the file, it is just uploading it unchanged:

Code: Select all

{"date":"<#date format=HH:mm>",
"temp":"<#temp>",
"tempTL":"<#tempTL>",
"tempTH":"<#tempTH>",
"intemp":"<#intemp>",
When the file is being processed, it will have values like so:

{"date":"18:42",
"temp":"27.1",
"tempTL":"25.8",
"tempTH":"40.4",
"intemp":"71.6",
--Kurt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blitzortung Station 1809
malc-c

Post by malc-c »

Kurt, thanks for the info... I'll give it a shot tomorrow as I was just about to power down the PC and retire for the night. I'll let you know how it goes
Regards

Malcolm
malc-c

Post by malc-c »

Morning Kurt,

I'm not 100% sure I have this correct, but I used the image in your post as a template.

This is how I have my settings

The MX zip file was simply extracted to the desktop, and I am the administrator so there are no issues with privileges.

However, the files are not being uploaded to the remote website, as can be seen when I use Coffee Cup to FTP into my site

So I thought I would see if the file is being produced in the local folder to see if the issue is simply a directory path error or something else, when I found that rather than finding realtimegaugesT.txt the file name was realtimegaugesT.txttmp

Thinking it may well be because I've already defined the FTP folder in the main settings I removed the path from the remote path side - still no joy and http://micro-heli.co.uk/weather/realtimegauges.txt gives a 404 error.

The only file that is being regularly updated is realtime.txt but I'm guessing this is for the data shown on the "now" page

From memory Cumulus1 was a lot simpler to get running... :groan:

EDIT - Just noticed a typo in the settings window.....

Nope - made no difference.... both http://micro-heli.co.uk/realtimegauges.txt and http://micro-heli.co.uk/weather/realtimegauges.txt result in 404 error so it seems the file is not being produced or uploaded
Regards

Malcolm
malc-c

Post by malc-c »

OK, just in case I had screwed something up I unzipped the 3041 build to a new folder and copied across both the WEB and WEBFILES folders to the existing MX directory and restarted MX.

Opened up the local WEB folder and found the realtimegaugesT.txttmp file. Opened it with notepad and found it had the following contents

{"date":"10:28",
"temp":"1.3",
"tempTL":"0.1",
"tempTH":"2.2",
"intemp":"19.8",
"dew":"-2.8",
"dewpointTL":"-3.6",
"dewpointTH":"-1.8",
"apptemp":"-2.7",
"apptempTL":"-4.4",
"apptempTH":"-0.7",
"wchill":"-1.4",
"wchillTL":"-3.4",
"heatindex":"1.3",
"heatindexTH":"2.2",
"humidex":"-1.5",
"wlatest":"6.9",
"wspeed":"5.4",
"wgust":"9.8",
"wgustTM":"11.4",
"bearing":"315",
"avgbearing":"329",
"press":"1028.5",
"pressTL":"1022.5",
"pressTH":"1028.6",
"pressL":"992.7",
"pressH":"1028.6",
"rfall":"0.0",
"rrate":"0.0",
"rrateTM":"0.0",
"hum":"74",
"humTL":"74",
"humTH":"77",
"inhum":"70",
"SensorContactLost":"0",
"forecast":"Settled fine",
"tempunit":"C",
"windunit":"mph",
"pressunit":"mb",
"rainunit":"mm",
"temptrend":"+0.3",
"TtempTL":"07:57",
"TtempTH":"00:02",
"TdewpointTL":"07:57",
"TdewpointTH":"00:02",
"TapptempTL":"09:07",
"TapptempTH":"00:02",
"TwchillTL":"09:07",
"TheatindexTH":"00:02",
"TrrateTM":"00:02",
"ThourlyrainTH":"00:02",
"LastRainTipISO":"2017-01-01 21:17",
"hourlyrainTH":"0.0",
"ThumTL":"10:17",
"ThumTH":"05:52",
"TpressTL":"00:02",
"TpressTH":"10:24",
"presstrendval":"0.6",
"Tbeaufort":"F3",
"TwgustTM":"00:07",
"windTM":"7.6",
"bearingTM":"360",
"timeUTC":"2017,1,2,10,28,5",
"BearingRangeFrom10":"310",
"BearingRangeTo10":"360",
"UV":"0.0",
"UVTH":"0.0",
"SolarRad":"0",
"SolarTM":"0",
"CurrentSolarMax":"110",
"domwinddir":"NNW",
"WindRoseData":[546.3,12.1,31.3,0.0,6.9,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,25.9,36.9,516.3,0.0],
"windrun":"43.4",
"cloudbasevalue":"1688",
"cloudbaseunit":"ft",
"version":"3.0.0",
"build":"3041",
"ver":"12"}
Renamed the file to realtimegaugesT.txt

After a few moments checked http://micro-heli.co.uk/weather/realtimegauges.txt and had a 404 error.

Renamed the file realtimegauges.txt and manually transferred it to the micro-heli.co.uk/weather folder via FTP. Confirmed the file was present in the remote web folder, which it was. Went to the index page and selected gauges, they displayed and then moved to display the information contained in the realtimegauges.txt file.

So the problem seems to be that MX renames the realtimegaugaesT.txt to realtimegaugaesT.txttmp or that it generates this file to update the realtimegaugaesT.txt file which doesn't happen. Or the file is being generated, but not uploaded. I also checked the root folder and found a realtimegaugaes.txt_ file. I rechecked the extra web file settings and confirmed that no underscore had been entered by mistake, and that the remote filename included the /weather/realtimegaugaes.txt file name.

The live website also reported that the data was old (100+ minutes) - Having noted that the realtimegaugesT.txttmp was being generated fairly regularly I renamed it and manually uploaded it to the weather folder - the website didn't pick up the new data, even when the page was refreshed.

I'm giving up with MX and going back to Cumulus1. Whilst the gauges in MX are a lot more polished (and I remember sending Steve a request for something like this years ago when i stumbled on a site that produced these, when he was developing Cumulus 2) - the old system worked. I can't see the need to have to specify additional files to upload when the gauges are an integral part of the application and website.
Regards

Malcolm
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Cumulus takes the raw realtimegaugesT.txt file with the webtags in it (easily recognisable as it has names preceded with a # in front of them), processes them to produce realtimegaugesT.txttmp with the values in it supplied by Cumulus MX and then uploads realtimegaugesT.txttmp and renames it realtimegauges.txt. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES rename, fiddle with or mess about with ANY files with tmp at the end of its name as these are transient files used by Cumulus.

You renamed a tmp which is a NO NO. Put the original realtimegaugesT.txt with the webtags in it back and allow Cumulus to process it and upload it, just make sure the destination you have in the Files line reflects where gauges.js is looking for realtimegauges.txt otherwise you will get a Not Found error.

The additional file is needed because the gauges were developed by Mark Crossley and Steve decided to integrate them into MX as they are much better than the old Cumulus 1 gauges and the file is needed to provide the additional data that the gauges require. I might also point out that Cumulus 1 uses the exact same procedure to upload additional files, so if you had replaced Steve's gauges in Cumulus 1 with Mark Crossley's Steel Series Gauges, as many of us did, you would have had to follow the exact same procedure, it is after all quite easy!!
David