Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Run Cumlulus MX via WAN IP?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

glennpm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Run Cumlulus MX via WAN IP?

Post by glennpm »

Hi,

I have a Davis Vantage Vue and run Meteobridge with a TPLink.

I have been running Cumulus successfully on my local network and remotely via my WAN IP. I downloaded MX this morning and can run it fine locally but not remotely using my WAN IP. The WAN IP is correctly listed in the ini file. I've searched here for a couple of hours but no luck. I have port 22222 and added 8998 too.

From my ini file:

VP2ConnectionType=2
VP2TCPPort=22222
VP2IPAddr=11.111.111.11 (this is not my actual WAN IP, actual is in the ini)

Need help please noting that I am not a IT expert so please provide instructions accordingly.

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Run Cumlulus MX via WAN IP?

Post by steve »

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work, it just uses TCP/IP, so the route is irrelevant. It just requires the required route to be open, so I suspect that the problem is with firewall configuration somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help.
Steve
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

Thanks Steve,

Yes its odd since Cumulus works fine. Weatherlink does too by the way. I had opened port 22222 for Cumulus a couple of weeks ago and then 8998 this morning, just in case. I get this from the CMD terminal:

Current culture: English (United States)
Serial: F70778FCFC72385C62406EBB1DEE7E3B
Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3041
Today.ini = data\today.ini
Last update=2016-12-17T13:20:00
Connected to station
1:47:37 PM Downloading Archive Data
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(Replace * with any IP address on this machine, or localhost)
Starting web socket server on port 8002
12/17/2016 1:47:37 PM
Type Ctrl-C to terminate
1:47:40 PM Downloading Archive Data
1:47:45 PM Normal running

I find these lines curious since I've defined the WAN IP in my ini file.
"Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(Replace * with any IP address on this machine, or localhost)"

Glenn
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It looks like the Cumulus Mx 'engine' is successfully connecting to your station. Perhaps the problem you're seeing is that your browser can't connect to Cumulus?
Steve
N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

What kind of a firewall are you running, glennpm?

And, are you running Cumulus and CumulusMX at the same time or only one at a time?

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

Hi Kurt,

No only trying to run one of the Cumulus programs at a time. Same applies to WeatherLink, not running when I'm trying Cumulus MX.

I have a Netgear WNR1000v3 router and have opened up port 22222, the same port that I identify in my MX ini file

From an open port net check:

Identify Open Ports on Your Internet Connection
your external address

Open Port 22222 is open on 76.???.???.?? (? marks so I'm not identifying my WAN IP)

The only way I can get MX to run is if I use my lLAN IP TP-LINK IP address as such in Firefox:

http://127.168.1.45:8998/
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

BTW, really like the look of MX not so much plain Cumulus!
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

MX is starting and running, so your good there. I am guessing you have the meteobridge and the MX computer on the same local network at home, so you don't need to open port 22222 to the Internet. You should be able to get the MX dashboard in a browser by entering localhost:8998 or 127.0.0.1:8998
If you have other computers on your home network replace the ip with its local ip. Also you dont need to open mx ports ie: 8998 or 8002 to the internet either. Since that would allow other to change setting in the program.
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

Yes, they are on the same network at home. What I'm trying to do is check on whether MX will work remotely. I leave my house for months at a time. When I'm gone Meteobridge\TP-Link wireless outputs the data from Davis Vantage Vue. I keep only my modem and router on so that I can still monitor weather conditions at my home. The computers are shut off. This is very important here in Maine due to the cold and know that I have heat inside my house.

I was hoping to get the data to MX from the WAN IP and the port I have open for Meteobridge, 22222.

Maybe I need to check using my netbook from some other place in town with WiFi.

Thanks
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

If you shut down the computer running MX you will not get any output from it. If your looking for a low power solution and to get output from MX and all the data logging it does look into a raspberry pi there is a ton of support her for it and they are inexpensive.
If the computer running MX is on and running and you forward port 8998 in your modem/router setup you will be able to see it on the outside, just use you internet ip :8998 to access it.
Hope that helps
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

My plan was to run MX remotely and get the input from my router's WAN IP and port 22222. This worked for me with Cumulus two weeks ago when I visited one of my sons outside of Boston. WeatherLink also worked but it is just okay. I really like MX, first install was yesterday.

I'm going to look into Rasberry but don't know what it would do that my Meteobridge/TP-LINK does now.

Thanks for your help!
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Glen, it looks like you've got you read around.
Just to point out the oblivious issue with using IP's. Each modem restart and location move can get different IP's each time, and even possibly on both the host or client ends. DNS updaters like No-IP could be of help if you don't at least have a static IP at the meteobridge end.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

Hi uncle_bob,

I actually have a good solution for changes in my internet company's IP assigned to me, my WAN IP.

- First, my internet service provider, Time Warner, seldom changes my WAN IP
- If it is changed my router has to be rebooted to distribute the new WAN IP to my Meteobriadge/TP-Link WiFi device and a camera security DVR for my home security cameras.
- I have my router plugged into a 24 hour timer which shuts it off for a few minutes a little after midnight every day.
- My DVR security device sends me emails when motion has been sensed on any of the cameras. The message included the WAN IP where the message originated. I now know the new WAN IP, the latest one that the re-booted router provided to it.
- I have fixed the LAN IP addresses fro my DVR and the TP-Link
- I also have setup a unique port and my router to allow remote access once I know the latest WAN IP from my DVR generated emails.

This worked for me last winter when I was gone for four months. The year before taught me that Time Warner can change the WAN IP and no one could tell or would tell me what was assigned. They do change it by the way, normally only if is a change in the service, according to Time Warner.
N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Post by N0BGS »

glennpm wrote:Hi Kurt,

No only trying to run one of the Cumulus programs at a time. Same applies to WeatherLink, not running when I'm trying Cumulus MX.

I have a Netgear WNR1000v3 router and have opened up port 22222, the same port that I identify in my MX ini file

From an open port net check:

Identify Open Ports on Your Internet Connection
your external address

Open Port 22222 is open on 76.???.???.?? (? marks so I'm not identifying my WAN IP)

The only way I can get MX to run is if I use my lLAN IP TP-LINK IP address as such in Firefox:

http://127.168.1.45:8998/
Are you really using 127.168.1.0/24 as your internal network range or is that a typo?

The entire 127.0.0.0/8 block is a specially designated Internet host loopback address.

See RFC5735. Here's a snippet:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.0/8 - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
   loopback address.  A datagram sent by a higher-level protocol to an
   address anywhere within this block loops back inside the host.  This
   is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback.  As
   described in [RFC1122], Section 3.2.1.3, addresses within the entire
   127.0.0.0/8 block do not legitimately appear on any network anywhere.
In plain English that means you typically don't want to use that range to communicate with other hosts on a network. 127.0.0.0/8 is used when a computer needs to "talk to itself."

It may work for you anyway, but I would change your IP addressing scheme to something like 192.168.x.x if possible since you may get unexpected behavior running the 127 addresses.

--K
Blitzortung Station 1809
glennpm

Post by glennpm »

The address you mention was from "jlmr731". My LAN range starts with 192.168.1.1.

Glenn