Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Restore backup on Raspberry PI

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

perl
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Buster Lite rPi

Restore backup on Raspberry PI

Post by perl »

Once again I saw that the data from my Davis Vantage Pro is not read of CumulusMX - se picture
1)took off the USB cable from Davis to my Raspberry PI
2)I then stopped the CumulusMX on my Raspberry
3)Made a ftp connection to the raspberry and copied /CumulusMX/backup/daily/20161119000008 to my pc and back to /CumulusMX/data
4)Took a look of the today.ini - looks ok :
[General]
Date=19/11/2016
Timestamp=2016-11-19T00:00:08
CurrentYear=2016
CurrentMonth=11
CurrentDay=19
5) put in the USB cable
6) restarted CumulusMX
7) crossing my fingers hoping it would catch data from the Davis console !
8) And No - it don't get old data from Davis - take a look at dayfile.txt and Nov16log.txt and the MXDiags

The Davis Console should hold 2.560 records - and with logging every 5 minutes there should be about 8,89 days in the console

Does anybody know what goes wrong ?

(Long time ago Steve told me that I just should put over data from the backup and start CumulusMX !)

Per
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Restore backup on Raspberry PI

Post by steve »

There's a possibility that the archive download times out when there's a lot of entries to send; this is something I need to investigate, but this is not something I can do any time soon due to my current circumstances. If you zip up the MX diags folder and attach it, I'll have a look to see what happened.

Can you confirm that you have the Davis logger set to the same interval as the Cumulus logging interval?
Steve
perl

Post by perl »

Hi Steve
It is long time ago I installed BelfryBoys datalogger, and I am pretty sure I set it to 5 minutes via his special logger setup software from my windows PC.

Per
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There was no response to the request for the logger data. I think that perhaps what happens is that the station takes a long time to work out what entries are required, when there are a lot of them requested, and the request times out. At some point I will investigate to see what I can do about this.
Steve
perl

Post by perl »

Thanks.
As long as there are problems with the dataflow, I would like if the program stopped or made a warning in a e-mail or a cron job so I could restart the Raspberry.
If I remove my USB connection to the console - CumulusMX does not stop.
Ok I can se a warning on the Dashboard - but if it is 3 dayes ago I last visited the dashboard - I have lost 3 days of data, because I am not able to read them from davis.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

You might read my thread - I was able to create a cron job to read a file made every five minutes to check if data had stopped. I did it a different way initially but the final solution was much more graceful. Had an issue earlier this month that tested it and it worked. I also installed an MTA and mail program to email me when an event occurs that disconnects the station from the Pi. Obviously you won't see any emails if the power goes out and you run out of backup power, but it will notify you.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15574