Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX has stopped updating my website page.

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

TonyG
Weather Station: Ecowitt 1001 WiFi
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster lite)

CumulusMX has stopped updating my website page.

Post by TonyG »

After months of trouble free running CumulusMX has stopped updating my website page. The ftp log doesn't seem to show any attempt to do more than realtime updates (although the gauges page says it hasn't been updated for 8 days). I've tried restarting the pi, loading the newest version of Cumulus & turning of the router firewall but it hasn't helped. (I can ping the pi with no problem) I've also checked that my web hosting ftp details haven't been changed - they haven't and they still match the details in CumulusMX internet settings.

It may not be related but when using the dashboard settings save command (Browsers Opera & Firefox) all the fields return a 'Settings updated' dialogue box except the Internet setting which returns 'error [object]' see picture. I've also attached the ftp log in the hope that someone here can point me in the right direction to fix this.

Raspian 3.18.11-Raspberry Pi Bv2 CumulusMX 3/3036 - 3040 - Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: CumulusMX has stopped updating my website page.

Post by steve »

That's a very odd ftp log, there appears not to be any communication going on at all. Can you stop Cumulus, delete the ftp log, and then start Cumulus again, so that the inital dialogue is shown in the ftp log?

The "object object" is something I need to look at to get it to display a useful error message. It's possible to find the actual error by looking at the content of the response using Fiddler or the F12 console in your browser. There may be an error message in the MXdiags file. It's usually cause by an invalid setting somewhere that hasn't been trapped properly.
Steve
SJG1976
Weather Station: Davis WLL, with Airlink
Operating System: Raspberry Pi3 MX on USB Drive

Post by SJG1976 »

Question for the OP.

What ISP are you using?
I'm still having a similar issue, and have the same sort of results in my FTP Log.

MXDiags show that I'm not logged in.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Steve. Don't I feel like a complete idiot!! I looked again at MX diags and saw it was unable to resolve the host name. I had recently changed my router and the ip address and hence the gateway was different. I completely forgot my pi was using a static ip with the old gateway address and so of course nothing was getting out. Changed the pi network configuration back to DHCP and straight away the gauges page updated......however.....strangely none of the other pages updated! At that point I gave up for a day or two. Tonight I looked at the log only to see endless sensor contact lost entries. At that point I actually looked at the base unit and the transmitter batteries were low. I put new batteries in the transmitter & readings started coming through. A bit later the other pages updated??? So, an undocumented feature whereby Cumulus doesn't update web pages when sensor contact is lost? :-) :-) or just one of those weird things. I swear I changed nothing in the interim. Anyway all's well again. Oh, I still get the error message when updating the internet settings. MX diags shows: 2016-08-03 21:43:20.819 Updating internet settings 2016-08-03 21:43:20.820 Object reference not set to an instance of an object

SJG1976 my ISP is LCN but if you've read the above you'll know it's not related!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

TonyG wrote:So, an undocumented feature whereby Cumulus doesn't update web pages when sensor contact is lost?
It will have been because of this - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulu ... eb_uploads
Oh, I still get the error message when updating the internet settings.
As I said it's probably that one of your settings has an invalid value which for some reason isn't being trapped. It's likely to be a setting that you're not using, possibly set to empty and MX is expecting something in there. Hard to diagnose without seeing your settings.
Steve
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Ah, so it is documented.....I'll get my coat...

Thanks!