Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

cumulusmx issues

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

txweather
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

cumulusmx issues

Post by txweather »

Team,

For a while now I been fighting an issue that happens only with CumulusMX.
A few threads ago Steve said that the issue is that the connection gets dropped.

CumulusMX connects to Meteohub using passthrough.

So I have decided to test other applications (WD).... It seems that WD does not have this issue.
Also is worth noting that the connection drops does not happen with Cumulus for Windows.
I am not sure why the connection drops with CumulusMX.

Is there a setting to have it retry to reconnect?

Right now I have to restart the app every soften and is getting to be a major task.

Se attached for logs.

Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: cumulusmx issues

Post by steve »

There is no setting to cause the connection to be re-tried, I'll probably look at doing something in the future. The only setting is to change the period that it waits for a reply - have to tried adjusting that? You could try using the periodic disconnect (really intended to give Weatherlink IP the chance to update weatherlink.com) which might be a workaround (but unlikely to help, to be honest).

I don't know why the connection gets dropped by the remote end with MX for you - all MX gets told is that it has been disconnected. I'm pretty sure that some people are using MX with the pass-through successfully. I use MX with TCP/IP direct to a WLIP day after day, and it works flawlessly, so apparently there is no problem with my code. I am always happy to change my code if it can be demonstrated that there's a problem with it. It's taken quite a bit of experimenting to get it working properly - Davis supply no documentation or sample code at all specific to TCP/IP connections.

You could use Wireshark to monitor the traffic, or presumably Meteohub has some diagnostics?

Edit: having said all that, and looked at your diags files, as far as I can see, every time it stops because it isn't getting a response to a LOOP2 request. As an experiment, you could try turning off LOOP2 (see the instructions in the announcement post) to see if it helps.

There's not actually any sign in any of those files that the connection has been dropped. Where was it that I said that was the problem previously?
Steve
txweather

Post by txweather »

txweather wrote:Team,

For a while now I been fighting an issue that happens only with CumulusMX.
A few threads ago Steve said that the issue is that the connection gets dropped.

CumulusMX connects to Meteohub using passthrough.

So I have decided to test other applications (WD).... It seems that WD does not have this issue.
Also is worth noting that the connection drops does not happen with Cumulus for Windows.
I am not sure why the connection drops with CumulusMX.

Is there a setting to have it retry to reconnect?

Right now I have to restart the app every soften and is getting to be a major task.

Se attached for logs.

Thanks for the help.

On this post:

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15

CumulusMX is connected via TCP/IP to meteohub and meteohub just passthrough the connection to the davis logger.
Cumulus 1 has no problems with this setup.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

txweather wrote:CumulusMX is connected via TCP/IP to meteohub and meteohub just passthrough the connection to the davis logger.
So you have a TCP/IP logger? I have no idea how Meteohub works, or how the pass-through mechanism works, but it can't be a simple case of transparently passing the connection through, as presumably Meteohub is also processing the data? If you have a USB logger, then it definitely can't be a simple transparent pass-through. Do you get the same problem connecting MX directly to your logger?

From the Cumulus point of view, what happens is that Meteohub stops responding completely. I'm assuming that you had Meteohub support look at the problem, and they are able to reproduce it and look at their diagnostics, and they say that the problem is in MX? But they are apparently not able to say what MX is doing wrong?

Has turning off LOOP2 made a difference?
Steve
txweather

Post by txweather »

steve wrote:
txweather wrote:CumulusMX is connected via TCP/IP to meteohub and meteohub just passthrough the connection to the davis logger.
So you have a TCP/IP logger? I have no idea how Meteohub works, or how the pass-through mechanism works, but it can't be a simple case of transparently passing the connection through, as presumably Meteohub is also processing the data? If you have a USB logger, then it definitely can't be a simple transparent pass-through. Do you get the same problem connecting MX directly to your logger?

From the Cumulus point of view, what happens is that Meteohub stops responding completely. I'm assuming that you had Meteohub support look at the problem, and they are able to reproduce it and look at their diagnostics, and they say that the problem is in MX? But they are apparently not able to say what MX is doing wrong?

Has turning off LOOP2 made a difference?
Steve,

I did turn off LOOP2 and so far it has not disconnected. It usually disconnects right way so looks like is working so far.
I am puzzled.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Perhaps Meteohub takes longer to fetch and process a LOOP2 packet than a LOOP packet. My LOOP2 code doesn't actually allow as much time as my LOOP code for a response - the LOOP code keeps checking whether the whole packet has been received for several seconds, but the LOOP2 code just waits for the configured DavisIPResponseTime value. If it's a timing problem, increasing that setting should resolve the problem - but I thought you has tried that?

I'll look at making my LOOP2 code work the same way as my LOOP code. I'm reluctant to do that as it seems to work fine when talking directly to a logger, but in theory it should be a low risk change.
Steve
txweather

Post by txweather »

Steve,

Yes I did made that change but it seems that LOOP2 packets are more sensitive.

Implementenging that change would be awesome!

Thank you so much for your time and consideration of this small change!

When time permits I'll send in a donation.

Thanks again!