Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problem with Cumulus.ini ComportName

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Graham64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Problem with Cumulus.ini ComportName

Post by Graham64 »

Steve
I took the plunge and installed CumulusMX onto my Raspberry Pi yesterday. Everything went reasonably well and I learnt a lot but there was one thing that I think would help on the instructions given in Cumulus MX Announcements - PLEASE READ THESE FIRST
Alternatively, you can unzip Cumulus MX into new directory first, and then copy over your existing data files and your Cumulus.ini file, and any other configuration files that you may have created (e.g. strings.ini, twitter.txt etc).
I did this and then altered the Port setting in the old .ini file to /dev/ttyUSB0, when I started CumulusMX it couldn't find the station. Eventually I discovered that the port setting name in CumulusMX has changed from Port to ComportName. Once I changed the setting name from Port to ComportName everything went well.

Did I miss an instruction to do this? If not perhaps it would help to include a line about it in the announcements.

I am really impressed with MX, and looking forward to exploring more. Thanks very much for all your efforts - donation on its way.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Problem with Cumulus.ini ComportName

Post by steve »

I haven't specifically mentioned it because I'd expected people to set it via the user interface rather than by editing Cumulus.ini, and I didn't want to give the impression that editing Cumulus.ini was necessary. On Windows, it uses the old port number to construct the default serial port string, so no change is required, and on Linux, where you have to change it, it's much easier to use the user interface to do it. The old item is an integer, which is why I had to create a new one holding a string.
Steve
Graham64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Graham64 »

Thanks Steve.
I understand your logic and I now know what I did wrong - I have a very old VGA monitor connected to my PI and the resolution is terrible so when CumulusMX first booted and I tried to view it from the Pi browser I couldn't see the top menu, hence I tried to edit the .ini file.
I have now learnt that it is best viewed via the laptop.
Thanks for your help.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I added a note about this anyway to the FAQ about the device names on Linux systems, to avoid future confusion.
Steve