Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problem with easyweather.dat date and time

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

daveh
Weather Station: Home built
Operating System: Linux

Problem with easyweather.dat date and time

Post by daveh »

Hi everyone. First post here. I have just started using Cumulus to record data from my home built weather station which is Arduino based and currently just records temperature, pressure and humidity.

Since I mostly use Linux I thought I would try out MX. I am writing a easyweather.dat file which is being successfully read by CumulusMX but I noticed a couple of things.

First, I could not find anywhere in the settings to enter the location of easyweather.dat so I entered it in the Cumulus.ini file manually. Will this be added to the settings page at some point?

Secondly, I was trying to load some old data by writing easyweather.dat at a regular interval from my old data which worked as long as I gave CumulusMX time to read the data before writing the next record. The problem is that CumulusMX is recording the readings as being at the time it received the data and not using the reading date and time in easyweather.dat. Could you take a look at this please.

Thanks,
Dave.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Problem with easyweather.dat date and time

Post by steve »

daveh wrote:First, I could not find anywhere in the settings to enter the location of easyweather.dat so I entered it in the Cumulus.ini file manually. Will this be added to the settings page at some point?
I was trying to make it difficult to use the easyweather.dat option to reduce the number of people using it when they should be using the Fine Offset setting, as happens regularly with Cumulus 1 - I may add it at some point. (reply edited)
CumulusMX is recording the readings as being at the time it received the data and not using the reading date and time in easyweather.dat.
Yes, that's how it's intended to work, it's the same in Cumulus 1. Cumulus always uses the current PC (etc) clock for 'live' data, and easyweather.dat data is always 'live'.
Steve
daveh

Post by daveh »

OK Steve thanks for explaining that. I was confused by http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/EasyWeather_Format where the file format is explained and there is a transmit date and time which it says is not used by Cumulus and a reading date and time which it says is used by Cumulus.

So, would it be possible to add historical data with the correct reading times? Also, what about a case where the weather station may store up readings and them send them back in bursts. Is there a way to handle that?

Thanks, Dave
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

daveh wrote:OK Steve thanks for explaining that. I was confused by http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/EasyWeather_Format where the file format is explained and there is a transmit date and time which it says is not used by Cumulus and a reading date and time which it says is used by Cumulus.
It just uses them to determine that the data has changed, which is mentioned, along with the fact that only 'live' data is handled, but perhaps it should explicitly state that's all they're used for.
So, would it be possible to add historical data with the correct reading times? Also, what about a case where the weather station may store up readings and them send them back in bursts. Is there a way to handle that?
It's unlikely, sorry. That code is only there because it was the only way I could originally support Fine Offset stations, and it became obsolete when I found out how to drive them directly. It's only left in because I was asked to leave it in.

What is more likely to happen is that at some point I may add proper support for a 'generic' station, including catering for historical data.
Steve
daveh

Post by daveh »

Thanks for the prompt replies. I have only been looking at Cumulus for a few hours but really like what I have seen so far.

Dave