Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Migrating from 1.9 (Win) to MX (Linux)

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

gjchester
Weather Station: Fine Ofset
Operating System: Win 7 Virtual Machine

Migrating from 1.9 (Win) to MX (Linux)

Post by gjchester »

I'm Having a general computers / network tidy up rehash.

Currently I have by Cumulus v1.9.4 (1089) on a low power Atom box running Win 7 using a Maplin Fine Off Set Weather station, but it can't go to Windows 10 due to the embedded graphics. I'm also virtualsing stuff where I can to save on power and network leads, and licensing a Windows build is a pain in the bum, as my Atom box has a OEM license. Plus a VM server uses less power then a bundle of boxes on in the study..

So long story short I'm going to retire the Atom box and dispose / sell it, and so I plan to put Cumulus on an VM.

Is there nay easy way to migrate old data over, and I stress easy, if its not simple I'll just dump the historic data and start afresh. I upload to Wunderground and whatever backyard weather are calling us home users now, but I assume I can just take the same settings off the atom box and put them into the new build.

Anyone done this already and offer any things I need to be aware of?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Migrating from 1.9 (Win) to MX (Linux)

Post by steve »

You're presumably not using or planning on using a locale that uses commas for decimals, so you can just copy the data over and use it in MX.
Steve
gjchester

Post by gjchester »

Righty Ho.

Can I have that translated to English :)

My Plan is to standardise by Linux installing Debian 8 as my "default" VM OS, this has the advantage is pretty close to the Pi's Rasbian so I can steal code snippits as there's a lot of Pi users out there...

That said as my locale with be UK English / London I don't thinking there will be too many issues, unless anyone knows different.

Currently the Atom does triple duty as a ADB-S receiver/uploaded and as a SqueezeboxServer ( I know, its always on so things got added on to it because it was there) and I'm torn between replicating that, or simply having more VM's one for each devices exclusive use in case they go belly up...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gjchester wrote:as my locale with be UK English / London I don't thinking there will be too many issues, unless anyone knows different.
I can't think of any. Any differences between Cumulus 1 and MX are documented in the announcement post and the FAQ post, but the data itself is compatible on English systems. You're not using the latest build of Cumulus 1, but I don't think that will cause any issues as far as migration goes.
Steve
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

gjchester wrote:-
Currently I have by Cumulus v1.9.4 (1089) on a low power Atom box running Win 7 using a Maplin Fine Off Set Weather station, but it can't go to Windows 10 due to the embedded graphics. I'm also virtualsing stuff where I can to save on power and network leads, and licensing a Windows build is a pain in the bum, as my Atom box has a OEM license. Plus a VM server uses less power then a bundle of boxes on in the study..
Which Atom box? I have three acerRevo Atom based PC's and all three migrated to W10 without a hitch. They have the nVidia ION graphics set and seem to work fine - using one to type this. The real issue I have is the inability to go beyond 4Gb memory on them - but they are fine for web development and general email etc stuff. I even do my audio production on them. My "proper" machine is an 8Gb HP desktop and is significantly more responsive under W10 - however it only has basic Intel graphics and the driver has a problem in rendering some shadow drawings - like you get on Mark Crossley's gauges for example.

I migrated to Raspberry Pi to save the hassle of leaving a PC on - much less power useage. It runs CumulusMX/Apache and writes data to MySQL db on one of my NAS boxes. This allows me to not have any realtime file "transfers" etc from CMX reducing possibility of SD card failure hence.... Currently looking at running Debian/CumulusMX off USB hard disk. Will then expand to have dedicated weather Pi with other sensors (eg UV/Lux) and move the webserver to a standalone Pi. Got to have something to do in retirement :lol:
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
CumulusMX V4 / CUtils V7
Raspberry Pi 5 64bit
http://goosegate.uk/
gjchester

Post by gjchester »

philpugh wrote: Which Atom box? I have three acerRevo Atom based PC's and all three migrated to W10 without a hitch. They have the nVidia ION graphics set and seem to work fine - using one to type this. The real issue I have is the inability to go beyond 4Gb memory on them - but they are fine for web development and general email etc stuff. I even do my audio production on them. My "proper" machine is an 8Gb HP desktop and is significantly more responsive under W10 - however it only has basic Intel graphics and the driver has a problem in rendering some shadow drawings - like you get on Mark Crossley's gauges for example.
Its a Dell FX160, the CPU is a Atom 230 Dual Core @ 1.6Ghz. It already has 4GB of memory but that's the limit, the issue with W10 is the SiS Mirage 3 video chipset. SIS don't intend to even update the driver for the older chipset, and it needs a lot more soldering skill than I have to upgrade the card...
Its working really nicely with Win 7, that could be the 4GB and a SSD, but as my intention is to have the Virtual Machine box on all the time ( it 's main use is to run Sophos UTM to try filter all the general badware out of the internet connection, improve my home lan security and speed by also filtering out adverts at the router) so as the VM's will always be on, its an ideal candidate.

Considered a Pi and may still if I can't make it work in a VM and the Atom Box dies, but one of the goals is to reduce the number of things at the back of my desk, and using a plug/ LAN sockets. I counted 30 plugs behind my desk, and some are problaby redundant, (on 3 10 way tower adapters fed by two x double gang sockets,) and I'm almost out of ports on my 16 port switch.

Not to mention to simplify the mess of black spaghetti at the back of my desk that always happens when you carefully put wires down and then over time end up putting more wires on top and pulling other wires back and forth......
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

Hi
why installing on a VMWARE with Debian installed and not on a Raspberry Pi2 or BananaPi, both able to run Debian 8?
Power consumption of a RaspberryPi2 with just an SDCard ~ 2.0W =48W/day = 336W/week = 1,3Kw/month = 17,5Kw/year should be around 5€ for Power per year
Power consumption of my BananaPi with a SATA2 Harddisk when running is ~ 1,8W (surprise it is less than the Raspberry Pi with no Harddisk)

If you want to wait a few weeks, when available, you can use the new RaspberryPi mini
Raspberry-Pi-550x310.jpg
(Yes it is the one on the right hand)
and you can place all 3 possibillities wherever you want because they are so small.
If you ask me, I would suggest to use a Weatherstation RaspberryPi (or BananaPi) instead of having the limitations of a VMWARE where the Weatherstation needs to be placed near the VMWARE Server.....with maybe all the glithes you might have with the USB/Serial ports...

And @Steve, maybe now it is time to start with your project to bundle your software with ready to plug Raspberrypi's since more and more people switching to these small devices.
And I you are looking into all these Forum posts, many of the are asking about Installation problems they have when coming from Windows to Linux.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

jank wrote:And @Steve, maybe now it is time to start with your project to bundle your software with ready to plug Raspberrypi's since more and more people switching to these small devices.
I don't really have the time to do that just now, but maybe when I retire in August next year...
Steve
gjchester

Post by gjchester »

jank wrote:Hi
why installing on a VMWARE with Debian installed and not on a Raspberry Pi2 or BananaPi, both able to run Debian 8?
Power consumption of a RaspberryPi2 with just an SDCard ~ 2.0W =48W/day = 336W/week = 1,3Kw/month = 17,5Kw/year should be around 5€ for Power per year
Power consumption of my BananaPi with a SATA2 Harddisk when running is ~ 1,8W (surprise it is less than the Raspberry Pi with no Harddisk)
You missed the prior point. I'm putting the VM machine in anyway to run a Sophos UTM, (and its ProxMox not VMWare). Adding more machines to a VM box may cost a little more in power, but part of my goals are to decrease the ever increasing number of RJ45 leads and plugs, and with a VM it does not matter how many devices its got virtually its still only one network lead and plug...

And I'm not sure where the photo came from the Pi Zero that's out haa few weeks ago has micro USB for power and I/O and Micro HDMI, but no Ethernet or Wifi and you add it by a Dongle.
gjchester

Post by gjchester »

Reviving my old post.

Debian 8 Jessie is a no as it does not support libudev0 any longer. I've tried the various fixes I can see in the forum, however though the 'nix box can see the FineOffset in the LSUSB view Cumulus won't see it presumably because of the missing libudev.

I can understand the whys and why not's, however I'm not interested in having to go through loops to update it every time, so is there an preferred Linux build that supports libudev0 not libudev1?
txweather
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by txweather »

gjchester wrote:Reviving my old post.

Debian 8 Jessie is a no as it does not support libudev0 any longer. I've tried the various fixes I can see in the forum, however though the 'nix box can see the FineOffset in the LSUSB view Cumulus won't see it presumably because of the missing libudev.

I can understand the whys and why not's, however I'm not interested in having to go through loops to update it every time, so is there an preferred Linux build that supports libudev0 not libudev1?
I am running CumulusMX with Debian Jessie (8.0) with no issues.

I also run Meteohub on Debian Wheezy (7.9)

What type of weather system u have that does not seem to be working?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

txweather wrote:I am running CumulusMX with Debian Jessie (8.0) with no issues.
The libudev0 library is required for USB stations like Fine Offset. It is not required for stations which are driven via a serial interface (virtual or otherwise) like Davis stations.

It is begin replaced by libudev1, and apparently some distributions (perhaps only on some architectures) do not have a libudev0 package. Code written for libudev0 has to be rewritten to work with libudev1, but the third-party USB library that MX uses has not had that change.

Some people have had success creating a symlink for libudev.so.0 referencing libudev.so.1
Steve
gjchester

Post by gjchester »

steve wrote:
txweather wrote:I am running CumulusMX with Debian Jessie (8.0) with no issues.
The libudev0 library is required for USB stations like Fine Offset. It is not required for stations which are driven via a serial interface (virtual or otherwise) like Davis stations.

It is begin replaced by libudev1, and apparently some distributions (perhaps only on some architectures) do not have a libudev0 package. Code written for libudev0 has to be rewritten to work with libudev1, but the third-party USB library that MX uses has not had that change.

Some people have had success creating a symlink for libudev.so.0 referencing libudev.so.1
Yep is a Maplins branded Fine Offset.

Tried the Symbolic link router and it failed, I wondered if some people may have an older install and the Libudev0 is already installed, whereas a fresh install can't install the relevant package (or some other dependency under the hood) as its no longer available.

The install was Debian 8 Jessie i386 build on a Virtual machine, and it was built about a week to a fortnight ago.

Short term I "cheated!" and visualized a Windows machine so its online using Cumulus 1.9 at the moment, I *think I'm within the license of Windows as the box the VM host is on has a valid OEM Windows license and this is my only virtual Windows machine on it, the rest of the VM's are Linux, but long term I probably need to get in to Linux if I can to avoid license issues, as I may need the hosts Windows license further down the line for software that really is Windows only.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I saw this blog post about getting Google Chrome (which also depends on libudev0) to run on Debian Jessie. It involves creating a libudev0 dummy package as well as creating the symbolic link. This may or may not work, it is for x86, so the paths need amending for Raspbian.
Last edited by mcrossley on Wed 27 Jan 2016 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think the reason for the dummy package must be because the Chrome package depended on it, and hence wouldn't install. The symbolic link is the thing to get it working. MX doesn't need the dummy package because it isn't installed as a package. I'm sure that creating the link has worked for some people with MX.

Lack of libudev0 isn't the only cause of MX not seeing USB stations - Mono 4.2.x can also cause this.
Steve