Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Some instability

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

stu_iow
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 10

Some instability

Post by stu_iow »

Been running Cumulusmx for about 2/3 weeks.
Just the last few days, I've noticed the last station update seems to get stuck, so requires a shutdown and restart of cumulusmx.
Both times that I have noticed MX gets stuck are about 16:00

I usually use the auto script to run MX.

I started mx without the script just now to see what infop it kicks out I I got this:-

System.IO.IOException: Write failure ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Th e socket has been shut down
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send (System.Byte[] buf, Int32 offset, Int32 size , SocketFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at î·.î (System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient î, System.String î) [0x00000] in <filena me unknown>:0
at î·.î () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
Press Enter to terminate
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/

Does that help with anything?

I'm running on a Pi2.

Cheers

Stuart
Running CumulusMX on a RPI2. Coming over straight from using WD for 10 years.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Some instability

Post by steve »

I'm using an IP logger on a Pi2, and it works fine for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is in your case. It looks like the TCP/IP connection to the logger is being disconnected, perhaps by the logger itself. Is your setup 'straightforward' - i.e. an IP logger connected to a router on the same network as your Pi2? Does your logger upload to weatherlink.com?
Steve
stu_iow
Operating System: Win 10

Post by stu_iow »

I use meteohub as a datalogger, that sends the data to the cumulusMX.

I will take a look at the meteohub, that also runs on a RPI2. I'll see if there any updates for it, then give it a reboot.
Running CumulusMX on a RPI2. Coming over straight from using WD for 10 years.
njc
Operating System: Windows 2012 R2

Post by njc »

My setup is a VP2 via a RS-232<->wifi adapter and it works great unless there is a disruption in the connection (e.g., I power cycle the access point or the adapter) then the console outputs the error below.

Steve is there a way to catch this error and have it attempt to re-establish the connection?

Thanks,
Nick

2016-02-29 19:30:35.491 System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at .(TcpClient , String ) in C:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 661
at .() in C:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 552
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, I'm looking at trapping that error in the next build, and also adding a mechanism to try to reconnect the TCP/IP connection. There are a couple of very recent threads about this.
Steve
njc

Post by njc »

Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to the update.
njc

Post by njc »

Hi Steve,

It's not mentioned in your changelog but was this addressed at all in 3040?
Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

No, I am only fixing Instromet problems at the moment.
Steve
njc

Post by njc »

Ok thanks. I'll stay tuned.