Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dayfile.txt uploading to a web server via FTP?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Dayfile.txt uploading to a web server via FTP?

Post by mcrossley »

I use the MX MySQL options to update both my dayfile, and logdata tables (using the stand built-in option) and they work just fine. I use the custom option to update my realtime table (as I have 'tweaked' it) every minute as well.

You must make sure that the public IP address of your MX server is on the 'allowed to connect to MySQL' list of your server - some servers do not allow universal direct access to MySQL.

The loooong term plan is to drive the whole website from MySQL and do away with the tag file uploads.
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Thanks Steve & Mark.

Steve, it was from the info about Custom HTTP calls on the CumulusMX internet settings option:

"Custom HTTP call - at rollover
A custom HTTP URL to be invoked just before end of day rollover - can include webtags"

and also in the Custom Upload in the CumulusMX MySQL settings:

"Custom upload - at rollover
A custom SQL command to be executed just before end of day rollover - can include webtags"

That's why I assumed it wouldn't do what I wanted it to.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Those do happen just before writing dayfile.txt rather than just after, as with the 'standard' one. But they still all happen before the rest of actual rollover process, so the data will be the same. It's designed so that you get the last values of the day. If they happened after the rollover had completed, you would get the reset values, which usually aren't much use. Writing dayfile.txt is the very first part of the rollover process. for the same reason.
Steve
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Thank you for your patient explanation Steve. I've totally got the process wrapped around my neck! I understand it now so will have another go at it.
Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Werk_AG »

mcrossley wrote:
You must make sure that the public IP address of your MX server is on the 'allowed to connect to MySQL' list of your server - some servers do not allow universal direct access to MySQL.
Which may be a problem to all that have a dynamic IP, I think.
Already installed on the Raspberry PI is: curl
Syntax to upload a file to an FTP Server is:

curl -m 60 -T /path_to/source_file ftp://"FTPHOST":"FTPPORT" "FTPDIR"/ --user "FTPUSER":"FTPPASS"
This solution posted by jank, works well and its easy to add to a cron job