Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data files portable between C1 and CMX - both directions?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Mark_A
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Vue console
Operating System: Win 10 64 bit and Ubuntu

Data files portable between C1 and CMX - both directions?

Post by Mark_A »

Hi,

Just want to confirm here that the data files should be portable between C1 and CMX in both directions? I've looked through the forum and beta details and I see I can move data to CMX, but it's not totally clear if I can move back and forth between the two when I want to run it in CMX for testing and then switch back to the main system.

In my case my main 24x7 system is Windows. I've had times where I would like to take down the main system and run a standby version to keep supplying Weather Underground, etc. with data and keep my Davis data logger from filling up. I've got a laptop running Ubuntu which might work perfect for this, but I would like to move the data back to the main system when it's ready to go again.

And, could I just leave the Cumulus.ini file on each system and just copy data dir when I want to switch?

Thanks,

-Mark
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Data files portable between C1 and CMX - both directions

Post by steve »

They should be, yes, unless there's some small detail I've forgotten, as you presumably don't use decimal commas.
Steve
Mark_A

Post by Mark_A »

Thank you Steve. I will report back with my findings if I encounter any issues.
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

@Steve,

Would a data float to NAS of the updated stuff in Cumulus work such that both instances of Cumulus (one on and one off) used the same shared on the network data stuff.

Unrelated here goofing a bit with automation main server is running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit...parts of the automation still run in wintel (speech/Kinect/and other stuff) such that I utilize wine or a vb running windows server on the same box...all of it does access the same data base on the Linux side of the box...

Here originally held on to the Windows Server running Cumulus 1 and ran CumulusMX using the shared serial port server which really didn't work right...

I am using one mySQL DB today for my Kodi boxes.
- Pete
Automator
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

pete_c wrote:Would a data float to NAS of the updated stuff in Cumulus work such that both instances of Cumulus (one on and one off) used the same shared on the network data stuff.
Sorry, I don't understand any of that. You won't be able to run two instances of Cumulus at the same time with the same data, if that's what you mean. If you mean that you can somehow arrange for two separate instances to use the same data, but not run at the same time, then yes, that should work, as far as I know.
Steve
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

can somehow arrange for two separate instances to use the same data, but not run at the same time, then yes, that should work, as far as I know.

Yes use two instances one at a time sharing the same data.
- Pete
Automator
Mark_A

Post by Mark_A »

A follow-up to my original question here... I've been running CumulusMX on Linux for a few weeks after copying my Windows 7 1.x data over to MX (which worked fine). Today I shut down MX and copied my data back to Cumulus 1.x now running on Windows 10. It went well EXCEPT reading of yesterday.ini by 1.x.

When Cumulus 1.x started back up with the MX data the values for "yesterday" displayed in the GUI and web tag output were all empty/zero. I compared the 1.x and MX versions of yesterday.ini and found that MX had appended full date/time values to both the [General] Date and to the [Rain] HTime entries, where Cumulus 1.x only used a date for the General section and a time for the Rain section:

Cumulus 1.x yesterday.ini:

Code: Select all

[General]
Date=8/5/2015
[Rain]
High=0.00
HTime=00:00
Cumulus MX yesterday.ini:

Code: Select all

[General]
Date=8/23/2015 12:00:00 AM
[Rain]
High=0
HTime=8/22/2015 12:00:00 AM
I shut down Cumulus 1.x, removed the two time stamps, restarted and all was fine.

-Mark
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, I've (unintentionally) used full timestamps for those two in MX rather than just a date and a just a time as in Cumulus 1. I'll see if if I can change it without breaking existing installations.
Steve