Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX fails to start

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

rstrader
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

MX fails to start

Post by rstrader »

I have attached the MXdiag file associated with the failure to start. I may be overlooking something, I don't know. I'm running MX from a folder on my desktop in Windows 7 and yes Cumulus 1.9.4 was shutdown before I tried to run MX. I copied over the .ini file and the data folder. That's about all I can think of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Strader
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Wunderground KCOCOLOR250
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX fails to start

Post by steve »

There are problems with communication with IP loggers - there are a couple of other recent threads about this. A user in NZ has kindly sent me his logger, and I was able to reproduce the problem. I have modified the code and it has been running OK for me for several days now, so the problem should be fixed when I get chance to release a new build.
Steve
rstrader

Post by rstrader »

Thanks so much Steve. I'll keep my eyes open for the next build. I really do appreciate the work you do on Cumulus.
Rich Strader
Wunderground KCOCOLOR250
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I released the build four days ago (build 3026). Note that there is a problem with the 'periodic disconnect' facility, so if you need that (to allow your WLIP to upload to weatherlink.com) you will need to wait for build 3027. I announce new builds of MX in this thread - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908
Steve
rstrader

Post by rstrader »

I do need the periodic disconnect for Wunderground. Other than that, I'm not having any issues. However, I did get an error message, so I've attached the MX Diag for you to look at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Strader
Wunderground KCOCOLOR250
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The error message is because you have enabled 'periodic disconnect'. There is a problem with periodic disconnect in build 3026 which will be fixed in build 3027.
Steve
rstrader

MX Starts properly and then quits with an error.

Post by rstrader »

MX Starts properly and then quits with an error.

I've included the MX Diag for you to have a look at. Remember I'm using the Davis IP logger.

Thanks,
Rich

PS
Setting Periodic Disconnect = 0 lets MX run normally.
Rich Strader
Wunderground KCOCOLOR250
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This is annoying - the code works fine with Mono (I tested it) but it seems I'm not allowed to disconnect and reconnect the socket immediately on Windows. I'll have to work out a way around it.
Steve
f4phlyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: RaspBerry Pi Win 10 OSx

Post by f4phlyer »

Steve,

Thanks so much all your work, I am really getting into MX. It will be the basis of my website redo.

This thread looks to be as close to the problem I'm having that I can find. Everything seems to be working but looking at the MX log right after startup MX appears to connect to the station but then it sends a "date" and gets a "NO ACK". However everything seems to work fine. However when I set Cumulus TCP/IP settings "Disconnect" to anything other than "0" it runs for awhile then crashes but continues to run posting the same values.

I've attached the "diag" file.

I'm running CumulusMX 3028 and my weather station is a Davis VP Pro with IP WeatherLink, I'm running on a Mac with OS X Yosemite with plans to switch over to a Pi Raspberry. CumulusMX unmodified works well and is very stable. I'm fighting it out with my web host about the MySQL update but that's another issue. MX updates to Weather Underground and CWOP and PWS all work.

Thanks again

Steve
retreat at augusta pines weather
CumulusMX on Raspberry π rPi5
http://augusta-pines-weather.com / CumulusMX 4.0.0 build:4017
WeatherUnderground KTXSPRIN538
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

These issues could be specific to OS X (the crash when using the periodic disconnect may be fixed by the changes I'm doing for the next build, as mentioned above), but it's hard to say any more as you don't have debug and data logging turned on. I'll give it a try with mine when I get chance.

Do you have the station logger interval set to the same as the Cumulus logger interval?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've tried the build that I'm about to release (3029) on my MacBook Pro, with my IP logger, and it works fine, with or without a disconnect interval set. So I think the best thing to do would be to try again with that build when it's released (having made sure your logger intervals are the same).
Steve
f4phlyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: RaspBerry Pi Win 10 OSx

Post by f4phlyer »

Steve,
Do you have the station logger interval set to the same as the Cumulus logger interval?
Double checked settings, I'm pretty sure I've got it right

Turned on debug and data logging, tried it this am and same result. (attached log file)

I'll try new, 3029, today as well as I'll move setup over to my Win 10 machine just to eliminate that it is not my network, my network includes a switch between computers and the weather station IPWeatherlink
retreat at augusta pines weather
CumulusMX on Raspberry π rPi5
http://augusta-pines-weather.com / CumulusMX 4.0.0 build:4017
WeatherUnderground KTXSPRIN538
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I need the debug and data logging turned on by editing cumulus.ini so that I can see what's happening when Cumulus requests the logger data. You have Cumulus set to one minute - is that what the logger is set to?

After it's been running for a while, something is causing the connection to the logger to be disconnected:

System.IO.IOException: Write failure ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The socket has been shut down

There's no way for me to know what is causing that, all I can say is that Cumulus isn't doing it, as far as I can see. It just tries to use the connection, only to be told that it is no longer there.

The periodic disconnect code seems to be working OK on the Mac, even with build 3028 (which is to be expected, as it works OK in 3028 on Linux). It's possible, though, that the connection issues start just after one of the disconnects, I can't really tell. It may also be connected with reading the receptions stats, you could try turning that off to see if it helps.
Steve