Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

cant remove data

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

ternzer
Weather Station: davis vp2
Operating System: whs 2011

cant remove data

Post by ternzer »

Hoping someone can help me out with a few quick questions. I recently took the plung and went from a fine offset to a Davis VP2. I got everything running great on cumulus 1 before switching to MX. When I switched I stupidly :bash: entered the YTD rainfall as if I was doing a new setup. So I have been trying to go back and remove the bad data. I have gone through every data file in the data folder (both .txt and .ini) and replaced the bad info with 0.00. however every time I restart cumulusmx I get the 15" of rain for the day. What am I missing.

another quick question I couldn't find with a search real easy.... Can I run cumulus 1 and Mx out of the same folder? once and a while if I get a bug I am working out I will drop back to 1. but if I can run MX out of the same folder it could share the data that was acquired over the few days.

love the MX web interface. I run cumulus on a server in the basement and I like being able to bring up the interface without having to remote in. Keep up the great work!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: cant remove data

Post by steve »

Today's rainfall is calculated on the difference between the current rainfall counter from the station, and its value at the start of day. The start of day figure is stored in today.ini (the 'Start' figure in the [Rain] section). So to change today's total, you adjust the start of day figure in today.ini relative to the current counter (with Cumulus stopped). You can get the current counter by looking in the MX diags file, or in the monthly data log.

You should be able to switch between Cumulus 1 and MX in the same folder, yes, as you presumably don't use commas for decimals (the ini files aren't compatible in that case). The 'format' parameters on web tags also have differences, if you are uploading to a web site, which may or may not be an issue.
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

thanks for the help.
I got the counter value from the mxdiag it is 15.63. i then went through all the files again and removed the 15.63 from all of them except the rain start in the today.ini. every time i restart i end up with 15.63" at the time i restart. It then sets the records and such to match.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Did you set the 'Start=' value in today.ini to 15.63? Or are you saying that it was already 15.63?

Presumably it is now the next day anyway, so today's rain should be automatically correct, and the 15.63 value will have gone into dayfile.txt (assuming you left Cumulus running). If so, you will need to edit that and any records where the value appears.

Edit: I looked at your web site, and yesterday's rain total is showing zero, so that is presumably OK. The only issue with rainfall is that you have a high hourly rainfall of 15.63 - one possible cause of this would be if you changed the previous rainfall counter values in the July log file to zero. You just need top clear that high hourly figure from your records and you should be OK from now on. Make sure you don't change the total rain counter values in the July log file, it's important that they reflect the actual figure reported by your station.

I note that your graphs flat-lined between about 4.30 pm and 10.50 pm - do you know why that happened? Are you allowing the PC to go into standby while Cumulus is running, or did it just stop reading data for some reason?
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

Thanks Steve.

I changed the today.ini to start=15.63. I was thinking that I would just let the day change and then go back and fix the past records. That's what I tried to do initially and that caused my problem. 15.63 should be the annual total. I did 0 out the July log. Ill go back in and change it back. That is probably causing the issue. In fact. I may have 0'd out june too.

I run cumulus on whs2011 and it is 24/7 with no standby.
the flat line was because it stopped reading data. I restarted cumulus when I noticed the flat line and it started pulling data again. I use the weatherlinkIP and I notice once and a while it does that. This is why I had been using cumulus 1 to get my new station stable before implementing MX. I changed the davisresponse=1000 in the cumulus.ini. (sorry I am not at home I forgot the real ini variable name). and it seems to be a little better.

Also, Last night I change it so the new trends.htm show up on the graphs page and they stopped updating at 3.

I also just noticed I have the index.htm in the folder. it should be the weatherbyyou index.php for my site I need to fix that tonight. fixed
http://www.ernzer.com/wx/index.php
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

A user in New Zealand (Philip) is very kindly sending me his Weatherlink IP logger, so I should be able to do some testing myself when it arrives and hopefully fine tune the code a bit.
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

I just remoted in and realized the windows restarted for updates last night at 3am. when it did cumulus 1 is set to start. Not MX that is why graphs stopped updating.
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

you can also see that I now have the 15.63 back for todays rain fall with MX running again.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Perhaps Cumulus 1 writes to today.ini in a way that MX cannot then read the value for the start of day, so it would default to zero. MX is case sensitive, Cumulus 1 is not.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You have 0.49 for today's rain - have you adjusted it since you posted 5 minutes ago?

From what I can see from your web site, your only issues are with 'last hour' and 'last 24 hour' figures, and those will be down to incorrect rainfall counters in the July log file.
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

well I am getting closer. I went back an checked how may ended up. and manually entered the rain since then. Now I have a total annual rainfall of -.03.
I am tempted to delete june and july since most the data is inaccurate from the old station with a few bad sensors and the change over to this one.

could I do this and just enter the start=?? rain using the end of may?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The start= value in today.ini has to be the rainfall counter at the start of today, i.e 15.63.

The totals for this month and this year are determined at start up by adding the daily totals in dayfile.txt, and then adding the rain for today so far. Any YTD figure for this year is also added to the annual total.
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

thanks for all your help. that is the problem then. I just realized that accidently overwrote my dayfile last night when I was moving things around. I only have 4 days in it. :oops:

I have all my monthly logs since feb 2013. is there anything I can do to resurrect my stupidity? or should I just start from scratch?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus 1 can recreate dayfile.txt entries (approximately) from monthly log files, in the dayfile.txt editor - "create missing". MX does not yet have this facility.
Steve
ternzer

Post by ternzer »

thanks! i rebuilt the dayfile and thinks seem to be working. i finally got fed up with the July log and removed it. with the new station most the data was screwed up anyway and i was just making it worse.

with the rebuild of the dayfile can i force it to rebuild the records page?