Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry pi 2 mirror of a system with Cumulus MX working on

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

jarom
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Raspbian + Raspberry pi 2

Raspberry pi 2 mirror of a system with Cumulus MX working on

Post by jarom »

Hi folks,
does anybody send me a mirror of a system with Cumulus MX installed on it? I can’t run Cumulus on my device (raspberry pi 2) I don’t know why. I followed instruction step by step, but it still doesn’t work.
jarostacja
slashmusic
Weather Station: WS2350
Operating System: Raspberry Pi2 - Debian

Re: Raspberry pi 2 mirror of a system with Cumulus MX workin

Post by slashmusic »

Hello jarom
This is way to less Information.
Which oprating system? Which steps have you Done?
What errors do you get?
What do you mean with mirror?
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

At a guess he is asking if someone will set up Cumulus MX on an SD card and send it to him i.e. mirror the SD card.
David
slashmusic

Post by slashmusic »

water01 wrote:At a guess he is asking if someone will set up Cumulus MX on an SD card and send it to him i.e. mirror the SD card.
Yes.....I guessed something like this.
It is no problem to create an image of a working installation.
I am offering such a function in the Start|Stop|Restart Script I wrote for the Linux users. :-)
The backup option is able to create a *.img File by using dd but.......
I already expanded my filesystem to use the full SD Card with 8GB.

Unfortunately I don't have another Micro SD Card in spare to create a new 4GB dd *.img file.......and the next problem is:
the "expand filesystem" function when using Raspi-config is using the complete SD Card. Depending on the real size of the SD card it might happen, that a 4GB Image will not fit on another 4GB Card, if the size is some bytes less than the original.....
But I think, since there are some other people having trouble with Raspberry Pi, I would offer to create a step by step instruction how to create a Raspian OS - install Mono and install CumulusMX.
I bet, many people are struggling with the fact that it is not so easy to finally get CumulusMX.zip on the SD-Card, for example.
So WINSCP should be mentioned, or it should be possible to download the Cumulus.zip by using "wget"......
Anyway.... I will check if I have another Micro-SD card in spare to write a detailed step by step instruction for a all people having not so much knowledge of Rapsberry Pi.....in the next days
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

slashmusic wrote:I would offer to create a step by step instruction how to create a Raspian OS - install Mono and install CumulusMX.
I thought that I had already done that. I know that some people don't like to read instructions and think that things should somehow magically just work, but in this case the OP does claim to have followed the supplied instructions. As he provides no information at all about what the problem is, it's not clear to me that providing an image with mono and MX already on it will help in any way. If he had been unable to carry out the instructions, then presumably he would have said so?

Throwing solutions at a problem without knowing what the problem is, is never a good approach. A proper diagnostic approach is the way to go, particularly as this is a beta test, and the point is to solve issues so that it works a bit better for the next person coming along. Of course, some people will have their own motives for wanting to use the beta version and aren't interested in helping to fix problems.

I think that there is a perception problem with the Raspberry Pi. It is intended as a learning tool. Some people see it just as a low-powered computer, and want it to 'just work' without any effort on their part to learn something along the way. Note that I am not saying that you should not, if you wish, provide further instructions for people on the details of copying files onto their Raspberry Pi etc, for those who don't want to look elsewhere for the information if they don't already know how to do it. But that is apparently not an issue in this case. Or perhaps it is, who can say? All we know is that "it doesn't work".
Steve
slashmusic

Post by slashmusic »

Sure Steve

you are absolutely right and I already mentioned, that it makes not very much sense to offer a complete *.img file.
The instruction I would create will start at the very first beginning: Here's the Raspberry Pi - this is the prefered OS (I would suggest Raspbian) and this is the program you can use, to get it on your SD Card.......
....and finally the insturction will end by installing CumuluxMX somewhere on the card.....referring of course to your guide.
People who never worked with a Raspberry Pi but worked with Cumulus 1.x in the past on Windows and who are having not so much Cumputer knowledge need to read a lot of information before they can start.
But of course: the information: "It does not work" is way too less ......as I already mentioned
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm sure people will find that very useful - thanks.
Steve
jarom

Post by jarom »

Once again I'm trying to find a method how to install Cumulus MX on my Raspberry Pi 2.
Once again I was installed fresh new system (Raspbian) on my device. I don't know do I have have the mono-complete package installed or not. I don't know what kind of commas I use (decimal or non-decimal).
I'm WH1080 weather station user. I would like to use Cumulus on my raspberry pi2.
Does anybody explain me what I should to do step by step? Please!
First do this....
Then to this... (such a communicate will appear)
Run Cumulus MX on your device.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will love such a tutorial, and thousand users will be grateful :)
Jarom (desperate weather station user)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

First do this: Read and follow the instructions here - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908

If you do not understand any part of it, say what part that is and someone will explain it to you.

Do you have any experience at all with Linux and/or the Raspberry Pi? If not, it would be a good idea to get a basic understanding before you try to run Cumulus MX.

Note 1: The instructions actually tell you how to install the mono-complete package.
Note 2: "Decimal commas" are when decimal numbers look this - 1,234 - rather than this - 1.234. Whether your Pi uses them or not depends on what 'locale' you are using. I believe that commas are used for decimals in Poland, so if you have set your Pi to Polish it is likely that it will be using them.
Steve
jarom

Post by jarom »

Hi Steve,
thank you for your patience, and your answer.
On your instruction you've written:
On Linux you will need library libudev.so.0 which may not be installed by default. Installing package libudev0 may resolve this. There may be issues if you are using a 64-bit version of Linux. I'm not sure what the resolution is at the moment, if this is the case.
About my device : Linux raspberrypi 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Where I can get right library for my raspberry?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You may have it installed already. To check, at a command prompt, do:

dpkg -s libudev0

That's a zero at the end, not the letter O
Steve
jarom

Post by jarom »

Right now, when I'm trying to run Cumulus MX on raspberry I have in return:

Code: Select all

Serial: 74FECEABEB2DA94ECB5EBA0CD11A7137
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory 'MXdiags' not found.
  at System.IO.Directory.ValidateDirectoryListing (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean& stop) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CumulusMX.Cumulus. (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CumulusMX.Cumulus..ctor (Int32 HTTPport, Int32 WSport) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at .Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
(I can't post MXdiags folder because this folder is empty)
jarom

Post by jarom »

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ dpkg -s libudev0
Package: libudev0
Priority: important
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 181
Maintainer: Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>
Architecture: armhf
Multi-Arch: same
Source: udev
Version: 175-7.2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.13-28), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.4.0)
Pre-Depends: multiarch-support
Description: libudev shared library
 This library provides access to udev device information.

Package: mono-complete
Priority: optional
Section: cli-mono
Installed-Size: 48
Maintainer: Debian Mono Group <pkg-mono-group@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: armhf
Source: mono
Version: 3.2.8+dfsg-10
Depends: mono-runtime (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-runtime-sgen (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), libmono-2.0-1 (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), libmono-profiler (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-utils (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-jay (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-devel (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-mcs (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-csharp-shell (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-2.0-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-4.0-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-2.0-service (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), mono-4.0-service (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), monodoc-base (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), monodoc-manual (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10), libmono-cil-dev (= 3.2.8+dfsg-10)
Description: complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
 Mono is a platform for running and developing applications based on the
 ECMA/ISO Standards. Mono is an open source effort led by Xamarin.
 Mono provides a complete CLR (Common Language Runtime) including compiler and
 runtime, which can produce and execute CIL (Common Intermediate Language)
 bytecode (aka assemblies), and a class library.
 This is a metapackage and pulls in the Mono runtime, development tools and
 all libraries.
 Install this package if you want to run software for Mono or Microsoft .NET
 which you are not installing from a Debian package.
 For packagers: This package is not to be used as dependency for packages!
 You should build-depend on cli-common-dev and the needed libraries instead.
Homepage: http://www.mono-project.com/
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It can't find the MXdiags directory, either because it doesn't exist for some reason (a problem unzipping the distribution?) or because you aren't running Cumulus from the installation directory. Can you confirm what commands you have typed? You should have done a 'cd' to change to the CumulusMX directory, and then 'sudo mono CumulusMX.exe'. Is that what you've done?
Steve
jarom

Post by jarom »

Thank you Steve
there is some huge progress. I have access into the Cumulus MX dashboard. :)
But also I've got error communicate:
DataTables warning: table id=PressureTable - Ajax error. For more information about this error, please see http://datatables.net/tn/7

For another who will fight with installation on strowberry Pi2 below there is a copy of my commands:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ hostname -I
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls
CumulusMX  Documents  ftplog.txt  MXdiags.bz2  Public        serial.txt  Videos
Desktop    Downloads  Music       Pictures     python_games  Templates
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd /home/pi/CumulusMX
pi@raspberrypi ~/CumulusMX $ sudo mono CumulusMX.exe
Current culture: Polish (Poland)
Serial: 74FECEABEB2DA94ECB5EBA0CD11A7137
Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3032
This is pre-release beta software
Station type not set
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(Replace * with any IP address on this machine, or localhost)
Starting web socket server on port 8002
2015-11-22 18:54:32
Type Ctrl-C to terminate
Till the end of this magic moment everyfing goes well. In effect the adress of CumulusMX dashboard on the browser should be (in my case) like this: http://192.168.1.20:8998/. But when I open the dashboard and I try to make basic changes in the settings (station type, pressure units I got Error [object Object]

What next I should fix?