Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dayfile.txt duplicate lines and highs & lows error

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

jrhilton
Weather Station: Custom build + old Oregon WMR88
Operating System: Windows 10 / Linux

Dayfile.txt duplicate lines and highs & lows error

Post by jrhilton »

Hi, I have been looking at my dayfile.txt and it seems to now have three lines for 9/10/2015. Could this be because I have maybe had in error three copies of CumulusMX running on my PI.

The final line has pressure as nil, which suggests it could be a second instance running and no data from the weather station, however the second has a pressure reading?

Please see screen shot. All three lines are in the actual txt file.

Also my highs and lows page is not working. Whichever month I go into it displays data from other months? Again see attached screen shot. I wondered if this was a data format issue (I am in the UK, and dates are all dd/mm/yyyy, but running cumulus as sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -lang en-GB results in the same, and on startup is does say "Current culture: English (United Kingdom)" ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Dayfile.txt duplicate lines and highs & lows error

Post by steve »

jrhilton wrote:Hi, I have been looking at my dayfile.txt and it seems to now have three lines for 9/10/2015. Could this be because I have maybe had in error three copies of CumulusMX running on my PI.
Do you have other reasons to think you might have had multiple copies running, or are you just suggesting that as a cause for the multiple entries? If you zip up the MXdiags folder and attach it, I'll take a look.
Also my highs and lows page is not working. Whichever month I go into it displays data from other months? Again see attached screen shot. I wondered if this was a data format issue
Almost certainly, yes, as 2nd October is 10th February in US date order. I'm not sure why it would have gone into the January section, though.The diags files may give a clue to this also.
Steve
jrhilton

Post by jrhilton »

steve wrote:
jrhilton wrote:Hi, I have been looking at my dayfile.txt and it seems to now have three lines for 9/10/2015. Could this be because I have maybe had in error three copies of CumulusMX running on my PI.
Do you have other reasons to think you might have had multiple copies running, or are you just suggesting that as a cause for the multiple entries? If you zip up the MXdiags folder and attach it, I'll take a look.
Also my highs and lows page is not working. Whichever month I go into it displays data from other months? Again see attached screen shot. I wondered if this was a data format issue
Almost certainly, yes, as 2nd October is 10th February in US date order. The diags files may give a clue to this also.
I think I may have had multiple copies running as I forgot to do 'screen' once or twice etc. Plus once when I logged in using ssh, i quit Cumulus but the web portal was still working.

Interestingly on the August tab, it is showing October data so not a dd/mm switch there.

Copy of x4 recent diags files attached. Also I forgot to say it is version 3.0.0 b3019. Let me know if you want more logs ( I am assuming these are the files you are after?).

**edit

Sorry I read your post too fast - who directory is now attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Those logs only go back half an hour or so, I need to see the ones from earlier, back to the start of the day, if they still exist.
Steve
jrhilton

Post by jrhilton »

steve wrote:Those logs only go back half an hour or so, I need to see the ones from earlier, back to the start of the day, if they still exist.
Sorry I edited my post shortly after to include a zip with all of them.

Thanks, James
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It was started at 18:44 with default settings, so would be assuming US dates:

2015-02-10 18:44:15.749 ========================== Cumulus MX starting ==========================
2015-02-10 18:44:15.798 Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3019
2015-02-10 18:44:15.822 Platform: Unix
2015-02-10 18:44:15.827 OS version: Unix 3.12.35.0
2015-02-10 18:44:15.828 Current culture: Invariant Language (Invariant Country)

This explains the duplicate entries in dayfile.txt - one for this run, and one for the following run which was back to UK dates.

Those entries from 2nd October at 18:44 must surely have come from this run, but they're not logged, and I don't understand why they're in the January settings. But switching between date formats will cause lots of strange problems.
Steve
jrhilton

Post by jrhilton »

I've deleted all the files in the data folder and copied over my old data again and now the highs and lows are all working fine again.

I now have cumulus starting up in /etc/rc.loca using "screen -amds bash sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -lang en-GB" and will only start it this way. I will report back this time tomorrow and let you know if I see the issues again.
jrhilton

Post by jrhilton »

For anyone who has moved their precious data over to CumulusMX for testing or doesn't want to loose any days of data (even though it is a beta version I am sure there are some of you out there) you can use this script with cron at say midnight each day or on sunday evening for example to backup you data directory into a folder which has the backup date & time as its name so you won't overwrite previous backups. It would also be useful for PI owners to backup their data onto a USB stick or network drive in case your memory card gets corrupted - which can happen.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

backuppath="/home/pi/backups/CumulusMX_data"

time_stamp=$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H_%M_%S)
sudo mkdir -p "${backuppath}/${time_stamp}"
sudo cp -r /home/pi/CumulusMX/data "${backuppath}/${time_stamp}"
It assumes your backup folder is located at: /home/pi/backups/CumulusMX_data and Cumulus MX's data directory is: /home/pi/CumulusMX/data. Hopefully someone may find it useful!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I realised why the date had changed for those items where the record hadn't actually been broken. When it started up with US settings and read in monthlyalltime.ini, it was unable to make any sense of any dates beyond the 12th of the month (because the day and month are now interchanged), so for want of anything better to do, it used the current date - 10th February. Once back with UK settings again, those all became 2nd October.
Steve