Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Strange goings on?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Strange goings on?

Post by BCJKiwi »

CumulusMX b3016 but possibly would have occurred on previous builds.
Win7 Pro

A number of different things to report.
1. wind speed average set to 255 when no wind
2. ET reset continuous for 8 hours ongoing
3. possible contention bewtween Cumulus1 and CumulusMX running inthe same machine at the same time time 9separate stations, separate connections).
4. must reconfigure new connection before stopping and changing connection.
5. no selection for UV or Solar?
Have been beta testing MX so far on a VUE (inside - not live VP2 Station) with a USB/serial Logger.
Live data is for a VP2 via USB/serial logger using Cumulus1
Two separate setups running in the same PC.
The VUE has no SOLAR or UV, The VP2 has no UV

1 & 2.
MX b3016 is logging;

Code: Select all

2015-01-29 08:32:24.095 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
2015-01-29 08:32:26.123 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
2015-01-29 08:32:28.151 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
every few seconds.
Was also attempting an ET reset at the same intervals (ongoing for over 8 hours) but seems now to have stopped after a restart of CumulusMX
5. There does not seem to be anywhere to tell MX if you have Solar and/or UV or not. The data files were copied over from VP2 so had solar entries.

A long time ago after first getting going with a USB/serial logger (clone) on the VUE, I changed it over to WiFi using a Roving Networks WiFly RN-VX module.
This worked well except every week or so it would stop talking to the VUE.
After discussion with Roving Networks it was decided that the issue was insufficient power/voltage as it can use up to 240mA and requires 3.3V +- 10% and was running off the VUE logger port which supplies 3V - the absolute minimum for the WiFly Module.
The WiFly got put aside and the VUE Console was relocated and run off the USB/Serial logger.

As the recently new VP2 is at the opposite end of the building from the Cumulus PC (has been running off a USB extender over Cat6), I decided to try the IP connection again and so made a separate 3.3V power supply for the WiFly and tested the WiFly Logger in place of the USB/Serial logger. I expected it to be reliable as it is the same setup as before but with a proper power supply. However it will not stay connected for more than a few minutes. It appears to stop talking after the 10 minute data uploads.
Here are two logs of the communication error;

2015-01-28 15:10:27.766 Done uploading graph data files
System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at .(TcpClient , String ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 424
   at .() in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 337
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
2015-01-28 15:15:00.311 Writing log entry for 28/01/2015 3:15:00 p.m.
2015-01-28 15:15:00.312 Written log entry for 28/01/2015 3:15:00 p.m.
2015-01-28 15:15:00.312 Writing today.ini, LastUpdateTime = 28/01/2015 3:15:00 p.m. raindaystart = 0.4 rain counter = 0.4
and

2015-01-28 16:00:29.784 Done uploading graph data files
System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at .(TcpClient , String ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 424
   at .() in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 332
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
2015-01-28 16:05:00.258 Writing log entry for 28/01/2015 4:05:00 p.m.
2015-01-28 16:05:00.259 Written log entry for 28/01/2015 4:05:00 p.m.
2015-01-28 16:05:00.259 Writing today.ini, LastUpdateTime = 28/01/2015 4:05:00 p.m. raindaystart = 0.4 rain counter = 0.4
This PC is quite busy on the network connection (all Gigabit Lan on Cat6). However the WiFly is configured to 24Mbit (max possible is 54Mbps).
The PC runs;
Mail server (Surgemail)
Webserver (WAMP)
Cumulus1
CumulusMX
Cumulus1 and MX are both uploading files to both the local web server and to the Public hosted web server at the same time.
The WiFly is also a network device however the Lan load pulses from 0 to <0.01% and has a burst of 0.02% at the 10 minute data uploads.
CPU use is low (mostly around 3% with lifts to perhaps 25% on occasion).
Virus Checker is disabled for all the above applications (there is a special config in the Mail Server)
The logs above show the System.IO.IOException: occurs right after uploading the graph data files.

It also seems that Cumulus1 is losing connection with the VP2 from time to time and auto restarting.
Looking back through the Cumulus1 logs, it seems it restarts randomly up to 1 or 2 times a day but sometimes not for days. I had not noticed this as Cumulus1 restarts and carries on OK. While the log description is different it appears to be a similar issue. It is happening more often now.
So it seems that there is may be some form of contention between Cumulus1 and CumulusMX running simultaneously. As this happens with both 2 USB/Serial loggers (COM3 and COM4), or 1 USB/serial logger (COM3) and one IP logger (on port 2000) it would not appear to be a network issue nor a USB driver issue (different drivers).
I have moved CumulusMX to a different PC and so far the problem has not come up again in 9 hours running so will keep running this way for a time to be sure.
Looking back at the logs and backups it does not seem that this happened until b3016. Did not run b3015 but did not happen with b3014 in MX but there may have been a restart in Cumululus1 but that may not be related.

When making a change (i.e. IP to USB/serial or back again), as the system is not in a first time startup mode, it will not run at all if the connection is not present which means the console webpage won't run so the new connections settings have to be made manually to the .ini file.

2015-01-28 16:11:49.283 Reading console time
System.InvalidOperationException: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.GetStream()
   at .() in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 1765
   at ..ctor(Cumulus ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 93
   at CumulusMX.Cumulus..ctor(Int32 HTTPport, Int32 WSport) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Cumulus.cs:line 895
   at .Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Program.cs:line 103
Exiting system due to external CTRL-C, or process kill, or shutdown
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CumulusMX.exitHandler.( ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Program.cs:line 180
Had to go to Cumulus.ini and manually change VP2ConnectionType=2 to VP2ConnectionType=0. There is no indication anywhere that the system has actually stopped
BCJKiwi

Re: Strange goings on?

Post by BCJKiwi »

Continues to work OK on separate PCs (18 hrs now).
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

BCJKiwi wrote:1 & 2.
MX b3016 is logging;

2015-01-29 08:32:24.095 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
2015-01-29 08:32:26.123 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
2015-01-29 08:32:28.151 Ignoring wind speeds. Speed=0 mph, Avg=255 mph.
every few seconds.
There are two threads about this already, it's filtering out the undocumented 255 value that the console sometimes supplies for the average wind speed. Not everyone sees this, so it may be an indication of a loss of communication between the ISS and the console, or something else - who knows? The important thing is that Cumulus filters them out. Does the 255 actually make it into your data?
Was also attempting an ET reset at the same intervals (ongoing for over 8 hours) but seems now to have stopped after a restart of CumulusMX
This was reported at start of the year with Cumulus 1 (you were one of those who saw it). It happens at the start of the year when the annual ET counter is reset to zero by the console. Perhaps yours is being reset when it shouldn't be.
5. There does not seem to be anywhere to tell MX if you have Solar and/or UV or not. The data files were copied over from VP2 so had solar entries.
It just reads and logs them, exactly the same as Cumulus 1. What problem are you seeing, exactly?
So it seems that there is may be some form of contention between Cumulus1 and CumulusMX running simultaneously.
Unlikely (in the straightforward sense). Others are using C1 and MX on the same machine, and I've been doing it myself from time to time. So it's something specific to your unusual setup. The only thing I have changed recently regarding driving Davis stations is to add the clock setting code. If you have that turned on, you could try turning it off to see if it helps. But it's clear from the error messages that it's the remote end which is closing the connection. So unless you can tell me exactly what the problem is, assuming that it is actually a problem in Cumulus, there's not much I can do about it.
When making a change (i.e. IP to USB/serial or back again), as the system is not in a first time startup mode, it will not run at all if the connection is not present which means the console webpage won't run so the new connections settings have to be made manually to the .ini file.
It's trying to read the console clock, so it thinks it connected successfully. I've just tried setting it to an address and port where it won't get a response, and it times out after a short while, and you can then access the interface. What is causing it to think it has connected on your system?

It's also clear from this that you don't have the clock setting enabled (see above), as it would have hit this error trying to do that first.
Steve
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Well I spent hours (literally) trying to analyse what was happening and provided all the detail I could from the logs to try to provide the clearest explanation and the fullest information I could. Sorry if I did not achieve that objective.
1. the avg=255
It does seem to have filtered it out but then I am unable to locate the ave speed in any of the logs so who knows - is there a specific place to look for this?

2 (ET) & 5 (Solar selection)
On checking I see the only settings in C1 relate to what shows on the graph. I had thought that if the system knew there was no solar then it would not try to reset ET but from what you say I guess it tries anyway.

3 Contention
All I can say is theat without a doubt there is contention on my system - where exactly it comes from I cannot say but as detailed it is not from the USB or the network.
The failures that occur when both C1 and MX are running in the same PC do not occur when they are not running in the same PC.
I do not know exactly how or what the diags are monitoring but it does seem a little strange that they should report

at .() in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 337
when no such folder exists.

It's trying to read the console clock, so it thinks it connected successfully. I've just tried setting it to an address and port where it won't get a response, and it times out after a short while, and you can then access the interface. What is causing it to think it has connected on your system?
It's also clear from this that you don't have the clock setting enabled (see above), as it would have hit this error trying to do that first.
I don't really understand your comments here. Synchronise station clock is set if that is what you are referring to and the clock is being set when everything is working.
I have just tried this again on the separate PC and it works as you describe.
This is what is logged when it fails to start;

2015-01-28 16:11:49.280 Setting console time
2015-01-28 16:11:49.283 Reading console time
System.InvalidOperationException: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.GetStream()
   at .() in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 1765
   at ..ctor(Cumulus ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 93
   at CumulusMX.Cumulus..ctor(Int32 HTTPport, Int32 WSport) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Cumulus.cs:line 895
   at .Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Program.cs:line 103
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CumulusMX.exitHandler.( ) in c:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\Program.cs:line 180
There is nothing more in the log nor is there anything more in the dos box and it does not timeout. There is no actual connection and no responses to the time setting as there normally is e.g;

2015-01-28 16:12:50.913 Setting console time
2015-01-28 16:12:51.014 Wait for ACK...
2015-01-28 16:12:51.022 ACK received
2015-01-28 16:12:51.023 Wait for ACK...
2015-01-28 16:12:51.030 ACK received
2015-01-28 16:12:51.031 Reading console time
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 06
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 34
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 0C
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 10
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 1C
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 01
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 73
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 3F
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Received 66
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 34-0C-10-1C-01-73-3F-66
2015-01-28 16:12:52.332 Console clock: 28/01/2015 4:12:52 p.m.
Now this may just be the difference in the IP vs USB/Serial diagnostics but again I can only work with what I can see. While it may think it is connected and tries to set the clock it has not connected (as the connection does not exist for to connect) and it did not time out, I don't know what else I can say.

I can work around most of this - running in a separate PC is an inconvenience - but in the spirit of a Beta tester was simply trying to give you feed back as I consider it the responsible thing to do.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

BCJKiwi wrote:1. the avg=255
It does seem to have filtered it out but then I am unable to locate the ave speed in any of the logs so who knows - is there a specific place to look for this?
The sixth field in the monthly logs, see http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Monthly_log_files - "Cumulus 'Average' wind speed". A figure of 255 would also show up as your all-time (etc) high.
2 (ET) & 5 (Solar selection)
On checking I see the only settings in C1 relate to what shows on the graph. I had thought that if the system knew there was no solar then it would not try to reset ET but from what you say I guess it tries anyway.
It's not trying to reset ET, it's reporting that the ET counter has apparently been reset to zero. It would not normally do this on a non-solar system because the ET value would normally not have ever been above zero in the first place.
I do not know exactly how or what the diags are monitoring but it does seem a little strange that they should report

when no such folder exists.
It's the location of the source code on my PC. The stack trace for an exception is to allow me to see where in the code the exception occurred.
I don't really understand your comments here.
I'm saying that when I configure MX for a TCP/IP connected Davis station using an IP address and/or port where there is no Davis station connected, the connection times out and then you can access the user interface and reconfigure it.

2015-01-29 08:20:05.370 Station type = Davis
2015-01-29 08:20:05.371 IP address = 192.168.1.8 Port = 5511
2015-01-29 08:20:26.393 Not Connected
2015-01-29 08:20:26.402 624 web tags initialised
2015-01-29 08:20:26.427 HTML root path = C:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\bin\Debug\interface
2015-01-29 08:20:26.440 Starting web socket server on port 8002
2015-01-29 08:22:20.674 Cumulus closing
2015-01-29 08:22:20.677 Writing Cumulus.ini file
2015-01-29 08:22:20.684 Closing connection

Yours apparently isn't working that way. I don't know why because I don't understand how your setup works. It looks like it was told the socket was connected, so tried to set the clock. That didn't cause an exception, but it got no response, so it went on to read the clock. That action starts in exactly the same way as the 'read clock' action, but this time it finally got told that there wasn't actually a connection, which caused the exception. On a standard setup, it just gets told the connection failed. There is presumably some part of your system which is initially accepting the connection.

I appreciate the fact that you are doing beta testing and reporting issues that you are finding (even if some of them have been reported already) but as your system is quite unlike anyone else's, when odd things happen that do not happen on 'normal' systems, it is very difficult for me to understand why they are happening unless you can investigate and give extra diagnostics from your system, using your knowledge of how your system works.
Steve
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Thanks for the further explanation.

I looked in the monthly log for average wind speed as that is what I understood the log to be talking about. The 6th field in the monthly log is speed, not average speed. Now that the day has rolled over I can see that the highest average wind speed for the last few days was just the low numbers I achieved with some manual spins of the wind cups so no 255's.

I have tried to explain how my set up works for clarification and I didn't think it was all that abnormal, just that I have 2 systems to work with at the moment and was trying to run both C1 and MX in the same PC at the same time (which was OK until recently). From what you say, this is not at all unusual. The only new thing is that I am now testing the (Roving Networks' WiFly) which worked before on Cumulus1 and the same VUE with the same firmware. This a WiFi network interface with serial on the backend connected to the logger/Davis Console.

Have spent some more time on this today on the SEPARATE PC from the 'live' Cumulus1 setup and can report the following:-

Started up Cumulus1 with IP connection.
It runs and continues downloading realtime data and logging interval data.
The traffic led on the WiFly is busy with changing blink pattern as expected.
The timer at bottom right corner shows "Last data read at" changing every second instead of the usual 2 or 3 secs I see with the USB/serial connection.

Closed Cumulus1 and started CumulusMX with IP connection.
The system is doing all the expected startup processes, setting the clock, downloading initial logger data but does not download any realtime data. The MX console shows the last logger data the website is updated with files but the data never changes in these files as the VUE is not being read any more.
The traffic light on the WiFly does show some minor changes in speed at the beginning but then just continues at the regular 'connected' heartbeat speed.
The "LAST UPDATE" continues to tick over every 3 secs.

So there is something different between Cumulus1 and CumulusMX on the same IP logger. I have no tools to determine where and why.

Have attached current .ini files and diags for both C1 and MX in case you want to explore this further at your convenience - I will go back to USB/serial for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

BCJKiwi wrote:I looked in the monthly log for average wind speed as that is what I understood the log to be talking about. The 6th field in the monthly log is speed, not average speed.
"Speed" is "Average Speed". The current 3-second speed from Davis stations (ie. what Cumulus calls 'Latest' is elsewhere in the log). But anyway, it's clear that Cumulus is correctly discarding the 255 values.
Have attached current .ini files and diags for both C1 and MX in case you want to explore this further at your convenience - I will go back to USB/serial for now.
I have an idea what the problem might be. The code currently doesn't append a newline onto all of the commands it sends to the station, which strictly speaking breaks the spec. I didn't change it as it apparently is working OK so far. But maybe with your setup via this WiFi thing, it needs the newline. If necessary, I'll then add some more debug logging of the traffic. It would be very useful if you could run a 'sniffer' (e.g. Wireshark) to show the traffic also.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The build I've just upload (3017) might improve things.
Steve
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Thanks,
I'll try 3017 and see if it makes a difference.

If not, will have to download new sniffer tools - it is a long time since I used one (way complicated!) - any suggestions for a good one preferably demo/free?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Like Steve suggested - Wireshark, doubt you'll find better, though the Microsoft Message Analyzer is pretty good too.
BCJKiwi

Post by BCJKiwi »

Thanks Mark