Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX not connecting

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

neilferguson
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win7

Cumulus MX not connecting

Post by neilferguson »

I hope somebody can help me when I try to connect to http://192.168.0.2:8998/ I get the message Starting web socket server on port 8002 System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. Please can you tell me(In the most basic way) how to start Cumulus MX running on http://192.168.1.40:8998/ or another ip_address which is not in use.

Neil
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Cumulus MX not connecting

Post by water01 »

Is this a local network in your house?

Because if it is you are running Cumulus MX on a different subnet to the one you requested i.e 192.168.0 as opposed to 192.168.1.

It is doubtful that you will get this going across subnets without some basic TCP/IP knowledge, plus the IP that CumulsMX indicates is the IP address of the computer it is running on so cannot be changed unless you allocate a fixed IP to that computer.
Last edited by water01 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Is this perhaps the issue that someone predicted, where the PC has multiple network interfaces? Cumulus gets a list of IP address for the machine, and listens on the first IPv4 address that it finds.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It looks like it would be trivial to get it to listen on all of the local IPv4 addresses. Anyone see any issues with this?
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Sounds OK to me, lots of programs work that way. If it becomes an issue then perhaps a cumulus.ini setting for the IP(s) to bind to would be a solution, if not present, bind to all.
neilferguson
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win7

Post by neilferguson »

Yes its a local network in my house. I have a main PC and a laptop and they don't work but I have an old PC which works fine.

Neil
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Does the machine that Cumulus MX is running on have more than one network card, on different subnets? What is/are the IP address(es) of that machine? Presumably you normally access it using a different IP address to the one that Cumulus shows when it starts up? Do the other machines on your network all have addresses on the 192.168.1 subnet?
Steve
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by Buford T. Justice »

Some ideas...

Disable the network card you are not using.

Are you connecting via wireless? You might be accidentally connecting to a guest network or someone else's network.

If using a wired connection from your router, you might set the IP address for the router as 192.168.1.100 and set DHCP to start at 192.168.1.101 and go to like 192.168.1.200, reboot it, and then set your network card's IPv4 config to...

IP = 192.168.1.101
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.100
DNS = 192.168.1.100
mspec
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2 cabled.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mspec »

I have this problem with mine. I am able to connect just fine on my home network however if I try and connect from outside my network say from work I get the pages all show up except no data values and after 30 or so seconds I get the error connection closed.
In debug on firefox it shows the following errors.

Code: Select all

Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery.js:3432

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ws://(my ip address):8002/.
Not sure where the ws:// is coming from ??

Not really to keen on opening another port to the outside ie 8998 as well as 8002.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ws:// is the websocket protocol, and it's required for the live dashboard data. Opening up port 8998 as you have done does mean that if someone finds it, they can alter your settings - unless you've done something to prevent that?
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Hmm, bad idea to open up the console ports to the world, it would be better to set-up something like a VPN, then you could securely access anything you wanted on your home network.
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Adrian Hudson »

or even easier, use some sort of remote access software - google chrome has the remote desktop app which works well (although a little slow sometimes) and there are loads of others.