Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webtags in general

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

duke

Webtags in general

Post by duke »

Steve, other than the tags you mentioned in the release:
<#CpuName>, <#MemoryStatus>, <#DisplayMode>, <#DiskSize> and <#DiskFree>
I notice the Davis specific tags are not currently populated:

<#DavisFirmwareVersion>, <#DavisMaxInARow>, <#DavisNumberOfResynchs>, <#DavisNumCRCerrors> , <#DavisTotalPacketsMissed> and <#DavisTotalPacketsReceived>

These all read '0' for me except for 'DavisFirmwareVersion' which is blank.

Are all of these likely to function again or not?

I'll try and look through the rest of the tags soon.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Webtags in general

Post by steve »

Yes, I'd forgotten about those. They are available via the serial protocol ("NVER" gets the firmware version, and "RXCHECK" gets those stats) so I can add them. The main thing to remember with things like this is that you have to stop processing LOOP commands to issue them, so you're likely to miss data. That's unlikely to be a significant problem, though, particularly if your setup supports LOOP2 so the peak gusts aren't missed.
Steve
duke

Post by duke »

Is that a yes to the 'PC' related tags too?

As VVP development seems to have ceased, I have now turned off VVP and the 'other' PWS software with that awful GUI so I am now LOOP2. I guess most VVP users who use several softwares will have to do the same at some stage and make a choice which they want to use. For me, the choice was easy ;)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The 'system' ones are missing because I couldn't find cross-platform ways of getting the information. I think I will have to write platform-specific code for them, but I would imagine they are all feasible.
Steve
duke

Post by duke »

<#battery> blank too.
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

duke wrote:Steve, other than the tags you mentioned in the release:
I notice the Davis specific tags are not currently populated:

<#DavisFirmwareVersion>, <#DavisMaxInARow>, <#DavisNumberOfResynchs>, <#DavisNumCRCerrors> , <#DavisTotalPacketsMissed> and <#DavisTotalPacketsReceived>
Purely as a comment, I really wonder how useful those stats are. If it's no big deal to implement then I guess no harm done but personally I wouldn't have given them much priority. Three points perhaps:

1. For assessing reception quality then all I tend to use personally are % good packets received in a defined interval (eg a value updated every 10 or 60 minutes perhaps) and RSSI, though the latter isn't currently available via the standard interface, as far as I remember. But although these two parameters are all I'd tend to look at, I'd really want them on a per-transmitter basis.

2. In part, how useful the stats are does depend on how keen you are to cater for Envoy users (probably a fairly small minority of the total for Davis users - 10-20%??). Otherwise, the detailed stats - for anyone who does wish to view them - are obviously available from the wireless diagnostic screens on the standard console, which is simple enough to access (though the stats are not logged at all, meaning you can't easily look back at past hours and days).

3. The ISS can transmit additional data like supercap voltage (for recent ISS units at least), but which isn't currently available via the API. However this might conceivably be made available in future revisions to the API, eg either by utilising some of the unused fields in LOOP2 or maybe by introducing a LOOP3 record. This is nothing more than speculation on my part but just to make the point that it could be useful in principle to have a mechanism to pick up and store additional 'performance' stats, which might well be more useful than eg <#DavisMaxInARow>.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Personally I monitor <#DavisNumberOfResynchs>, <#DavisNumCRCerrors> , <#DavisTotalPacketsMissed> and <#DavisTotalPacketsReceived> via my website on a semi-regular basis, just to check I'm not getting/developing any reception issues.

Agree the other two (<#DavisFirmwareVersion>, <#DavisMaxInARow>) are less useful.
marfanuk
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi 2

Post by marfanuk »

mcrossley wrote:Personally I monitor <#DavisNumberOfResynchs>, <#DavisNumCRCerrors> , <#DavisTotalPacketsMissed> and <#DavisTotalPacketsReceived> via my website on a semi-regular basis, just to check I'm not getting/developing any reception issues.

Agree the other two (<#DavisFirmwareVersion>, <#DavisMaxInARow>) are less useful.
As Mark, i use the same tags on My site too and do find them useful.

<#DavisFirmwareVersion>, <#DavisMaxInARow> i have no use for Myself.
https://www.nantwich-weather.uk - Meteobridge

Darren
duke

Post by duke »

Steve wrote:It also implements the following web tags (Davis only):

<#battery>
<#txbattery>
<#DavisTotalPacketsReceived>
<#DavisTotalPacketsMissed>
<#DavisNumberOfResynchs>
<#DavisMaxInARow>