Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Gauges not being displayed correctly on website

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Safety
Weather Station: Davis Pro
Operating System: Windows 11

Re: Gauges not being displayed correctly on website

Post by Safety »

Sorry to say, shorty after i sent my replay the gauge web page status displayed station was off-line, when i looked i found it was.
checking the realtimegauges.json file on the website i noticed that it was 0 bytes. Restarted my pi it fired up ok, however after hitting the internet tab on Cumulus MX the attached error code was displayed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That appears to be a permissions error; Cumulus is no longer permitted to write to its files. Has the device been mounted read only for some reason?
Steve
Safety

Post by Safety »

So i have an idea what to check for regarding your comment "Has the device been mounted read only for some reason?" what would you like me to look at, as I have done no deliberate action regarding "Read only".
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Could you please check whether the device /media/USB/ has been mounted read-only?
Steve
Safety

Post by Safety »

Update:
The issue appears to be that the USB stick is becoming corrupted.
This has now happened on 2 occasions on the last one it lasted around about 8 hours before becoming corrupted.
You can fix the problem by scan an repair. I am going to replace the USB stick and retest
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think that if a filesystem has errors, it gets mounted read-only, which explains the error message. USB sticks have a limited life, some as low as 10,000 writes. With Cumulus writing to it every few seconds, it's only going to last a few hours.
Steve
Safety

Post by Safety »

Now that is interesting about the life issue, what have you been using to store data when you have been using your Pi?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm using an SD card. I've been expecting it to die at any moment, but it keeps going. It'll probably die now...

If I ever manage to switch my live system over to the Pi, I'll be using a USB hard drive.
Steve
Safety

Post by Safety »

Thank you for the feedback
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

A good solution might be a solid state SSD drive (Regular 2.5" form factor hooked up via USB). They are made to have many more write cycles than standard USB and SD cards. A small 64gb model can be had for $50 USD or so now. They use much less power than traditional drives, so it would keep with the lower power theme if you're offloading from a PC to a Pi. If you do go go the USB Hard Drive route, I recommend finding the small possible size, 320gb or 500gb, as they will most likely be single platter drives, drawing less power and a higher MTF.

Once I get my Pi going I will have it mount a Folder on my Desktop system in fstab / cifs, and have a cron job set to copy the files over every few days to a folder for backup.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2