Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX connecting to station okay, but not getting data

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

MX connecting to station okay, but not getting data

Post by freddie »

GNU/Linux OS, connecting (via Virtual VP) to Davis Vantage Pro 2. Using Cumulus MX build 3005.

Looking at log files - connecting to station okay. No data updates, though.

Log file is attached.
20150108-230951.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX connecting to station okay, but not getting data

Post by steve »

It's apparently not getting a response to the command to download the logger data:

2015-01-08 23:09:56.047 No Ack in response to DMPAFT

Have you disabled the LOOP2 packet in Cumulus.ini? Is VVP showing commands being received?
Steve
freddie

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:Have you disabled the LOOP2 packet in Cumulus.ini?
Yes, I have UseDavisLoop2=0 in my [Station] section of Cumulus.ini
steve wrote:Is VVP showing commands being received?
It shows that the connection has been made, but no commands are visible being received. I have Cumulus 1 connecting via VVP and see commands from that in the VVP console.

Is there any way of turning up the logging in MX to get more info?
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

No, but there's not really anything else that it could log that would help. It says it's sent 'DMPAFT' and it's had no reply. If VVP isn't seeing the DMPAFT, then possibly something between the two is getting in the way. Firewall?

You could use tcpdump or whatever to look at the traffic on the Pi.
Steve
freddie

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:You could use tcpdump or whatever to look at the traffic on the Pi.
I did this, and it appears to show two-way traffic to/from the appropriate port. I don't know whether the values being passed can tell us anything?
tcpdump.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It looks to me like the Pi is sending data which gets ack'd at the TCP level, but the server end never sends any data back. I think the four 'length=1' transmissions are the four attempts to wake the "console" by sending a \n, and then the first 7 byte packet is presumably "DMPAFT\n", and then it starts sending "LOOP 20" commands, which are also 7 bytes. Everything appears to get a TCP ack, but no data ever comes back.

A couple of things I've noticed about my code while looking at this - specific to TCP rather than serial:

1. I don't check whether the 'wakeup' was actually successful, I just start sending commands anyway
2. I don't put a \n on the end of the LOOP command.

Neither of these apparently have any bearing on your problem, as VVP isn't seeing anything anyway, not even the wakeup byte. VVP doesn't seem to mind the lack of \n on the LOOP command - I've tried this several times with my Pi and VVP and it works fine here.
Steve
freddie

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:It looks to me like the Pi is sending data which gets ack'd at the TCP level, but the server end never sends any data back
I gave up scratching my head and restarted VVP. This cured the problem - so it was an issue with one of VVP's virtual consoles. Apologies for wasting your time - although you appeared to have had an opportunity to check the logic of your code with the tcpdump trace, so not a complete waste! The reason I hadn't restarted VVP before was because Cumulus 1 was using it for my live web site and appeared to be okay.

Thank you as ever for your speedy response.
Freddie