Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX as a Server Service..

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

bmdoss
Weather Station: Davis 6153
Operating System: 7

Cumulus MX as a Server Service..

Post by bmdoss »

I have been running the EXE as a windows service on Server 2012 R2 its working GREAT.. Really not many issues to speak about..
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus MX as a Server Service..

Post by mcrossley »

How? Using ServiceEx, SrvAny etc.? I think for the beta keeping the console output visible is probably useful, even if it is not how you would run a production system.
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Adrian Hudson »

Well, since there was no reply to this, I thought I would share my experiences running as a service...

I tried just using SC to install as a service but cumulus wouldn't run. Don't know why and I didn't spend a lot of time trying. It seemed not to actually start, or if it did start it didn't get as far as writing to the diags file.

So, I used my old friend nssm (the Non-Sucking Service Manager - nssm.cc).

I simply entered the application path and start up directory. I left everything else default. It seems to run really well. The default is to run as the local system account and it hasn't appeared to cause any issues. It could be configured to run as a user but I havn't tried that.

My only concern is that nssm issues ctrl-c by default as the first attempt to tell a program that it is running to close and I think this just ends cumulus (or even mono) non-gracefully. So far it hasn't caused any problems but I suppose one day it might. Perhaps Steve might comment on possible effects of ctrl-c (or just closing the console) on Cumulus and its data.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Adrian Hudson wrote: Perhaps Steve might comment on possible effects of ctrl-c (or just closing the console) on Cumulus and its data.
If the last entries in the diags file aren't something like

Key pressed - terminating
2015-01-16 18:36:53.231 Cumulus closing
2015-01-16 18:36:53.231 Writing Cumulus.ini file
2015-01-16 18:36:53.247 Closing connection
2015-01-16 18:36:53.278 Station stopped

then it hasn't been closed cleanly, and it might cause corruptions in the data files.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It looks like neither ctrl-c nor closing the command window result in a clean closedown. However, it appears that I can trap both of those and perform a clean closedown.
Steve
Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson »

steve wrote:It looks like neither ctrl-c nor closing the command window result in a clean closedown. However, it appears that I can trap both of those and perform a clean closedown.
...that would be brilliant if you could because I was just about to post this:

No, it doesn't log those - so I wouldn't recommend running as a service in that case. It appears it can be done but shutting down might be a problem. Some service managers can issue commands - I believe firedaemon can, in which case it might be possible to simulate typing a key in the console window to initiate a shutdown. Unfortunately it looks like firedaemon has no free version any more - they used to have a free version that would manage a single service.
Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson »

I can confirm that Build 3010 now closes in a controlled manner when running as a service under nssm.

I can now use net start CumulusMX or net stop CumulusMX.

net stop gave me:
Exiting system due to external CTRL-C, or process kill, or shutdown
2015-01-18 16:38:16.164 Cumulus closing
2015-01-18 16:38:16.183 Writing Cumulus.ini file

Excellent!! Thanks Steve.