Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My first impressions

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

My first impressions

Post by water01 »

Got it working Steve.

Very nice, but a couple of things.

I looked around, but is there an equivalent "Web Update" button so you can check what files are FTPing?

My upload interval is 15 (i.e 15 minutes) but the realtime interval is 30000. Is that milliseconds?

I seem to sometimes get "**** token error ****" in the DOS cmd window although the program seems to continue running.

I assumed that I could connect to the interface from another PC on my network. It works fine in a IE11 on the PC running it but doesn't seem to connect from another PC on my network. Is this going to be a firewall problem? EDIT : can confirm it is a Windows Firewall issue as when turned off it works, will update when I found out the settings.

Is there a list of webtags implemented and the expected arrival of the ones that aren't (no pressure just wondering!).
David
water01

Re: My first impressions

Post by water01 »

OK the firewall problem is strange one.

If I turn the Windows Firewall off on the computer running CumulsMX other computers on my internal network can connect. If I turn it on they cannot.

I have tried modify both the inbound rules to all for CumulusMX and setting an outbound rule for Cumulus MX as well. No luck!! Will keep trying, but for the moment I have switched the Firewall off as it sat behind a firewalled router with no port forwarding anyway.

On that point I presume that if set up port forwarding for the specified port I could connect remotely?

Edit : OK found it. It would appear that Windows 7 doesn't think 8998 is a common port, so I set up an inbound rule for port 8998 and bingo with firewall on I can connect.
Last edited by water01 on Mon 05 Jan 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
water01

Post by water01 »

Was puzzled why my realtime.txt was not updating and investigated.

As I stated in my first post the realtime interval in MX was set as 30000 which was transferred in the Cumulus 1 .ini file (checked the old one and it does have 30000 in it) but the new setting should be 30.

Once changed in MX and saved all was well.
David
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Adrian Hudson »

water01 wrote:On that point I presume that if set up port forwarding for the specified port I could connect remotely?
You could, but I wouldn't. Anyone working out your IP address could trash your settings!! Maybe Steve will put password access. If he doesn't, someone will port forward and regret it!
GiveToLive
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by GiveToLive »

Steve

Thanks for the 3001 update

I am connected.

A "Web Update" button would be helpful.
Glenn

To give is to live.

www.give2live.info/Weather/
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

water01 wrote:I looked around, but is there an equivalent "Web Update" button so you can check what files are FTPing?
No - maybe at some point.
My upload interval is 15 (i.e 15 minutes) but the realtime interval is 30000. Is that milliseconds?
Yes, I'd forgotten that Cumulus 1 uses ms for that in the ini file. I think I'll leave it as it is now.
I seem to sometimes get "**** token error ****" in the DOS cmd window although the program seems to continue running.
It's indicating a problem processing a web tag. There may be more information in the MXdiags file.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

water01 wrote:I seem to sometimes get "**** token error ****" in the DOS cmd window although the program seems to continue running.
I looked in the MXdiags file you uploaded, and the problem is the txbattery web tag, which has no content now as it was previously supplied by the DLL. So using it with a'channel' parameter causes an exception.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

water01 wrote:As I stated in my first post the realtime interval in MX was set as 30000 which was transferred in the Cumulus 1 .ini file (checked the old one and it does have 30000 in it) but the new setting should be 30.
I think it's all correct and compatible with the setting in the Cumulus 1 ini file. It's just that the settings secreen in MX displays it in milliseconds. If you changed it to 30, then (after a restart) your realtime updates will be 30ms apart.
Steve
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

My first impressions as well.

Got it all setup and working within 5 minutes. I imported my old data files to the new folder, and manually setup/copied over the same config settings.

Weather Underground, PWS, Weatherbug, APRS are all working. Realtime.txt for Saratoga templates work great too.

No isses what so ever with my Fine Offset station.

Cheers!!! For Alpha this is AMAZING.

Some features that I miss from 2.x.
-Select-A-Graph. I would use this to look up the temperatuer or wind rates for a period of time ex last week or 3 days. The Graphs page only has a set 24 hour setting from what I see. I absolute love the new Graphs page. Adding in a interval selection to it would be AMAZING.

-Graph Image generation: This is simply and purely to work with Saratoga template. I have no way right now via my Saratoga site to see historical data for the last day or so. I can always poke at Weather Underground or something to see it. This is more or less a Saratoga thing, I would LOVE to see the graphs you use added to that, but alas in the meantime there's nothing. Adding image generation back would be nice for legacy support in the meantime. I'm working on it on my end.. seeing if I can call a VBA script to open the latest CSV file, grab the last 24 hours of data, and save it as a new csv, upload it, and use a php script to generate a graph from it. That's a far throw though.
I found this.. http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/ImportCumulusFile
and this. http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Highcharts_-_Realtime
*EDIT* http://www.woodburyweather.com/wxgraphs.php Much better.... I'll take these over the old static images anyday...
Linux server... I got a cron job that runs this every 10 minutes..

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sh -c 'cat /home/username/path/realtime.log /home/username/path/realtime.txt > /home/username/path/realtime.tmp'
tail --quiet --lines=144 /home/username/path/realtime.tmp > /home/username/path/realtime.log
and it works. That was easy. Now to modify it to show humidity.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
duke

Post by duke »

water01 wrote:OK the firewall problem is strange one.

Edit : OK found it. It would appear that Windows 7 doesn't think 8998 is a common port, so I set up an inbound rule for port 8998 and bingo with firewall on I can connect.
Thanks for this fix David. A couple of months back I stopped paying an AV company stupid amounts of money each year and decided to let MS Defender & Firewall do their stuff. Looking at the logs I can see they have been as busy as my old AV and I've no issues with virus's etc.

Only problem was I lost MX across my private network and couldn't figure out why as MX is allowed inbound in the rules. And now it's back :)