Welcome to the new home of the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3044 7 December 2018. See the Wiki for download

Weather Blues Template preview

Discussion of Jacques DesRoches's web site templates

Moderator: JacquesD

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Thu 07 Jun 2012 5:35 pm

gemini06720 wrote:Mark, unfortunately, you will have to re-read the installation instructions for the Weather Blues templates.

A hint: It appears that the cascading style sheets (those with the 'css' extension) are nowhere to be found... :roll:
Ray,
Thanks for the hint, its amazing what you can miss at 1am in the morning, I found them in a folder all on their own....

Al I need to do now is re-rea the instructions to work out why the Today/This Week etc pages are displaying the way they (oh, and correct the clock)

Thanks again (I`m learning every day!)

Mark

User avatar
duke
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun 03 Jul 2011 6:23 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 - 64 bit
Location: Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by duke » Thu 07 Jun 2012 5:57 pm

Maidenhead Weather wrote: Al I need to do now is re-rea the instructions to work out why the Today/This Week etc pages are displaying the way they (oh, and correct the clock)
And "about".

Duke
Duke

Nightingale Weather
Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
------------------------------------------------------
Validate your pages - often!

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Thu 07 Jun 2012 6:00 pm

duke wrote:
Maidenhead Weather wrote: Al I need to do now is re-rea the instructions to work out why the Today/This Week etc pages are displaying the way they (oh, and correct the clock)
And "about".

Duke
Duke,
I edited the infos file in Word, all I did was overtype the original text and uploaded the saved file to the server, and it displaying the text of the file??
Web Design & Building seems to be beyond me :bash:

Mark

User avatar
duke
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun 03 Jul 2011 6:23 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 - 64 bit
Location: Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by duke » Thu 07 Jun 2012 6:08 pm

Maidenhead Weather wrote:
Duke,
I edited the infos file in Word, all I did was overtype the original text and uploaded the saved file to the server, and it displaying the text of the file??
Mark
WORD - no no no! You need to be using a plein text editor go here and install notepad++. That will stop you creating further problems.
Web Design & Building seems to be beyond me :bash:
I thought the same only a few months ago. You'll soon understand the basics and want more. If you get stuck then search first and ask second. Most problems are answered here already.

Good luck.

Duke
Duke

Nightingale Weather
Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
------------------------------------------------------
Validate your pages - often!

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Thu 07 Jun 2012 6:27 pm

duke wrote:
Maidenhead Weather wrote:
Duke,
I edited the infos file in Word, all I did was overtype the original text and uploaded the saved file to the server, and it displaying the text of the file??
Mark
WORD - no no no! You need to be using a plein text editor go here and install notepad++. That will stop you creating further problems.
Web Design & Building seems to be beyond me :bash:
I thought the same only a few months ago. You'll soon understand the basics and want more. If you get stuck then search first and ask second. Most problems are answered here already.

Good luck.

Duke
Duke,
Thank you for the pointer towards notepad I would never have guesed that Word would be the issue (just tried a notepad edit, it worked first time) I can see I`m going to have a lot of fun tonight with my newly found knowledge.

Thanks once again

Mark

User avatar
JacquesD
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue 27 Jul 2010 3:51 am
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: St-Ours, Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by JacquesD » Thu 07 Jun 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Mark,

It'a a good idea to use Notepad++, as mentioned in installation instructions,
as it's so powerful and feature rich like syntax coloration. This help you to see
fastly what's language command and what's text to display!

In future vesion those colors will be used to highlight text to customize.
In Weather Blues v2, i'll indicate black text as text you have to check
for customizing to identify your site easily.

Then, as you could see, that's not so complicate! ;)

Regards,
Jacques
Image

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Thu 07 Jun 2012 9:26 pm

JacquesD wrote:Hi Mark,

It'a a good idea to use Notepad++, as mentioned in installation instructions,
as it's so powerful and feature rich like syntax coloration. This help you to see
fastly what's language command and what's text to display!

In future vesion those colors will be used to highlight text to customize.
In Weather Blues v2, i'll indicate black text as text you have to check
for customizing to identify your site easily.

Then, as you could see, that's not so complicate! ;)

Regards,
Jacques

Jacques,
Thank you for the advice.

I am currently editing the index.htm page, but do not seem to be able to find "how to set the Local Time" for the clock?

Any advice you are able to give would be much appreciated

Mark

User avatar
JacquesD
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue 27 Jul 2010 3:51 am
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: St-Ours, Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by JacquesD » Fri 08 Jun 2012 12:00 am

Hi Mark,

To set your clock, simply follow detailed instructions on that link:
http://meteoduquebec.com/weather_blues_ ... html#clock

In brief, check to find file clockp.js and parameter mytimezone to specify
time zone of your locality.

Don't hesitate if you need further help... just specify what's giving you trouble.

Best regards,
Jacques
Image

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Fri 08 Jun 2012 6:34 pm

JacquesD wrote:Hi Mark,

To set your clock, simply follow detailed instructions on that link:
http://meteoduquebec.com/weather_blues_ ... html#clock

In brief, check to find file clockp.js and parameter mytimezone to specify
time zone of your locality.

Don't hesitate if you need further help... just specify what's giving you trouble.

Best regards,
Jacques
Jacques,
Clock now up and running, Thankyou for the advice.

Given that I have virtually no knowledge or experience of webpage construction or editing, the fact that I have a website up and running is a credit to your excellent skills of design, you have made the installation of the pages very easy (I only needed a couple of pointers in the right direction).
Thankyou very much for the time you have obviously spent setting these pages up, very much appreciated.

Mark

Http://www.maidenhead-weather.co.uk

User avatar
JacquesD
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue 27 Jul 2010 3:51 am
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: St-Ours, Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by JacquesD » Fri 08 Jun 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Mark,

It's a "pleasure" to see our work spread all around the world!

I have no "glory", because I'm working in a school and I'm just putting
some "spice" in a wonderful job done by Steve on that Cumulus.

Then, welcome in the world of amateur weather publishers! :clap:

Cheers,
Jacques

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Sat 09 Jun 2012 10:51 am

Hello Jacques,
I am now trying to build a further page using your empty.htm page

I`m starting with the "main menu" bar and have added an extra line -

<!-- Main menu -->
<div id="buttons">
<a href="index.htm" class="but" title="Main page">Now</a>
<a href="today.htm" class="but" title="Today's observations">Today</a>
<a href="yesterday.htm" class="but" title="Yesterday's observations">Yesterday</a>
<a href="thismonth.htm" class="but" title="This months observations">Month</a>
<a href="thisyear.htm" class="but" title="Observations since June 3rd">Year</a>
<a href="record.htm" class="but" title="All time records">Records</a>
<a href="gauges.htm" class="but" title="Weather gauges">Gauges</a>
<a href="trends.htm" class="but" title="Recent trends">Trends</a>
<a href="images.htm" class="but" title="Some beautiful pictures">Images</a>
<a href="infos.htm" class="but" title="Informations on our installation">About</a>
<a href="Astronomy.htm" class="but" title="The Night Sky from the SLO Observatory">Astronomy</a>
</div>

But the additional Astronomy title does not appear on the menu bar alogside the other titles, it appears if you hover over below the "Now" title.
Are you able to advise how how I would be able to ad the title in line please?

Thanks again for your help so far

Mark

Maidenhead Weather
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat 02 Jun 2012 7:24 pm
Weather Station: Wireless USB Weather Forecaster
Operating System: Windows Vista
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by Maidenhead Weather » Sat 09 Jun 2012 11:09 am

Jacques,
Panick over, I`ve managed to resolve the problem by reducing the text size in the style.css file

I am learning so much using your pages, I can`t thank you enough.

Mark

User avatar
JacquesD
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue 27 Jul 2010 3:51 am
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: St-Ours, Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by JacquesD » Sat 09 Jun 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Mark,

You have done a pretty good job! :D

A little thing could be enhanced: since font is smaller, vertical centering in menu bar
has to be modified. For that, edit style.css file and find #buttons a section (line 50),
parameter padding-top: 14px; need to be bigger

Since vertical centering don't really exist outside Table, the top padding
have to push your line down until center is reached!

You're in the good way! :clap:

Cheers,
Jacques
Image

User avatar
JacquesD
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue 27 Jul 2010 3:51 am
Weather Station: National Geographic 265nc
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: St-Ours, Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by JacquesD » Sat 14 Jul 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

Weather Blues v2 project will be at end in a short delay... as you can see here on that post:
http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7652, a "Template Manager Module" will be added to the already
availavle template "Weather Sky".

But for this delay, I'll add some new optional modules for Weather Blues. installable by it's
update manager. 1st one is a forecast page reporting Canadian official Environment Canada
forecast, in 2 "flavor":

- Short version: an adaptation of ec_forecast from SaratogaWX (Thanks Kevin!)
http://weatherbyyou.com/demo/Weather_bl ... recast.php
- Long version: my own version, based on EC's raw data
http://weatherbyyou.com/demo/Weather_bl ... recast.php

An international version will be available too, based on WeatherUnderground.

Then Weather Sky is the "lab" to try new things like Languages Module and Template
Manager, to be included later in Weather Blues! (and other templates too!)

Best regards,
Jacques

User avatar
avoorpool
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue 08 May 2012 4:24 pm
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Location: Pickering, Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Weather Blues Template preview

Post by avoorpool » Mon 16 Jul 2012 5:20 am

Hi Jacques,

I've a had a few "sneak-peaks" via the Meteo du Quebec forum pages, but this (end) result is really fantastic!!!
A great contribution to the already awesome Weather Blues template.
Anxiously waiting for the final release date!!

Cheers,

Arthur

http://altonaweather.ca

Post Reply