Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

wBox (weather box) in JSON version

Discussion of Jacques DesRoches's web site templates

Moderator: JacquesD

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: wBox (weather box) in JSON version

Post by Mapantz »

Hi there!

I have set wBox up OK. https://warehamwx.co.uk/wBoxH3f.html

I'm just wondering if I have to set up the forecast destination? The forecast temps on wBox don't match the ones that Yr.no are showing on their site?
Smarmen
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Smarmen »

Hi :)
Just show it, like printscreen, because I can't see the difference.
https://www.yr.no/en/details/table/2-72 ... et/Wareham

Have a nice day :D
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Bug with the windrose on the mobile template: https://warehamwx.co.uk/wBoxV2f.html

It's backwards.
Smarmen

Post by Smarmen »

:lol:

Just READ the documentation - it will be easier
http://www.andreovia.pl/jedrzejow-pogoda/wbox#wbox_en
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

It still doesn't make any sense. A windrose shouldn't be reversible. It's completely confusing to show a 2D image of a compass backwards.

I don't see why you would need an option for it? Because, what if someone mounted a tablet on an East or West facing wall?
Smarmen

Post by Smarmen »

Then this someone would read documentation and very simply reverse the compass position :)
The wind rose MUST be shown just like the world directions on the compass. If the compass is upside down, the wind rose is also turned 180 degrees.

This is my philosophy and you can build it however YOU want.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I have changed it.

However, I maintain, it is a bizarre option to have.

Any graphical depiction of a wind rose/compass will always have North at the top, regardless of the physical position you are viewing it from. Googling 'wind rose' and looking at images, you'll not find a single one that is reversed.

My Davis console is sat in front of me, and I'm facing pretty much South. I still know exactly where all of the compass points are, relative to me. Looking at a reversed wind rose is not normal, it looks very odd and confusing.

PS: On my 10.1" tablet, wBoxH3f.html the forecast is cut off at the bottom - just slightly too tall.
Smarmen

Post by Smarmen »

Windrose is the map layer! And layers of one map are always presented in one orientation.
Many maps are oriented opposite to the usual orientation, south is at the top. For example, I come across such mmaps for mountain areas in my country. It is more convenient to use such a map.

All inventions were "bizarre" at first!

You can freely modify the dimensions, arrangement of elements and the content of the page, I only present a general concept and others adapt it to their needs.
This is the advantage of this solution.
In the documentation, I wrote:
Implementing and adapting the application to your needs requires some knowledge and experience. This solution is more difficult, but it gives great opportunities for self-adaptation and development of the application.

Andy has developed his website in a very interesting way: http://midlifedad.me.uk/wBox/main.html#loaded
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Post by Big Daddy »

I think the idea as Kris says is that this is a "starting point" and you can use your own ideas and choose layouts, icons, ways of displaying things as you choose. As you see from my site I took some of the original ideas and made some modifications, ok, a lot of modifications. I added new measurements and made it how I wanted. One example is the wind pointers. Kris used wind barbs which showed strength as a number of "tick" marks and pointed in the direction that the wind is coming from. I changed mine to wind arrows, used a numerical value for the strength and also rotated the direction 180 degress to show which way the wind is blowing to as they do on the BBC weather forecast. Kris's template and ideas should be used as a starting point, treat it more like a project rather than a finished item.

As for re-sizing, I have a 10 inch tablet and a 7 inch tablet. They have slightly different aspect ratios (16:10) and (128:75) . I use them horizontally (landscape). In this layout both are roughly the same width but have different heights so I had to make some minor adjustments to the layout to get them to fit.

One final thought, what browser or app are you using to display your wBox. I found on some browsers they do not truly go in to full screen mode and still have a small notification area at the top so it clipped the bottom of the information. I eventually found an android app called Fully Kiosk which makes it truly full screen and has a few other bits an pieces that are useful. Its free if you just want the basic functionality, which is all that is needed. Unfortunately I think its only available for Android but there are notes for downloading to Fire OS. You also need to be on Android above 4.4 as support for this will be stopping shortly.

https://www.fully-kiosk.com/en/#faqs

Andy
Smarmen

Post by Smarmen »

Hi Andy :)
In the library in wBox.js (& wBox.min.js) I made a minor but important change, that forced refresh moonphase image.
Unfortunately, the browser cache causes the screen to show non-actual content.

The new library is now available.
Lines 648 to 650 added:

Code: Select all

// forced refresh _iMoon.png
       var Tstamp = new Date().getTime();
       $('#moon').attr('src','img/_iMoon.png?t=' + Tstamp);
It's very hot with us 8-)
Kris
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Post by Big Daddy »

Thanks Kris,
I hadnt noticed that the moon icon wasnt changing but will add the code.

Not been too hot with us this week, tempearure dropped from 27 to 15, lots of rain and already feeling like Autumn.

Andy
bthoven
Weather Station: WH24+Ecowitt GW1000/Tempest
Operating System: Windows 10/11/Debian/Ubuntu

Post by bthoven »

Hi,

Thanks for giving us a beautiful new version. There is one issue for me. The forecast seems not recognize my local time even I made the correct latitude and longitude in the wBoxini.js.
coLATI = 13.71732; // latitude
coLONG = 100.5907; // longitude

The forecast thinks I'm at night time even it is still in the morning.
Could you have a look? I may have missed some settings?

https://bthofen.com/wBox2/wBoxH3f.html

Thank you

update: sorry, I may have misread how the forecast displays. There is nothing wrong with it.
bthoven

Post by bthoven »

Thank you very much again for a new beautiful wBox. As usual, I tweaked it to incorporate my home internal temp/humidity, air quality at home, webcam, and Sun (spots). The Sun live photo is fading in and out over the wind rose and direction. I also replaced the Moon with a live Moon phase with live orientation.

The actual website can be viewed at: https://bthofen.com/wBox2/h.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smarmen

Post by Smarmen »

Hi
As always, you bring a lot of your own creativity to the project. This is very good and the results are great :D
bthoven

Post by bthoven »

Thanks. I still have issue with the forecast section at the bottom of the website. It doesn't display values of forecast number 11 in the forecast row. You can see only the "/" at that position. I did not amend anything on the forecast section.

When I inspect the website, it shows some errors on Gprs12 repeatedly (see the screenshot). For your information, my Lat/Long is: lat=13.71732&lon=100.5907

Could you have a look? Thanks.

You can inspect live web at :
your original version without modification, except setting up lat/long: https://bthofen.com/wBox2/wBoxH3f.html
my amended version: https://bthofen.com/wBox2/h.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.