Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Advertising Banners

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

GregV
Weather Station: Ws 2080
Operating System: Vista

Advertising Banners

Post by GregV »

Can your template be changed to display advertising?

Thanks
Greg
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: Advertising Banners

Post by saratogaWX »

GregV wrote:Can your template be changed to display advertising?

Thanks
Greg
Hi Greg,

The template set is just a framework for a personal weather website. If you choose to add advertisements (like Google Ads, etc), that's your prerogative, and is easily done by adding the appropriate (ad site dependent) HTML to the template. A few folks running the templates have already done so.

Personally, I find ads annoying, so I do not run ads on any of my sites. I know that some folks do in the hope that the small revenue stream will offset their hosting costs. Generally, personal weather websites are not likely to be big revenue makers from ads installed on the website due to the low traffic to the website. Personal weather websites are, I suppose, more of a hobby with hopes of providing useful information to your community rather than a often-visited portal. Beside the traffic I see from weather enthusiasts worldwide fetching scripts/updates from my site (and the pesky miscreants knocking at the site looking for holes), I do have a small but appreciative following in Saratoga for my weather information, and that's gratification enough for me.

Best regards,
Ken
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

Ad-Block Plus, best script out there.

Have a serious thought before you do put adverts on your site
GregV

Post by GregV »

saratogaWX wrote:
GregV wrote:Can your template be changed to display advertising?

Thanks
Greg
Hi Greg,

The template set is just a framework for a personal weather website. If you choose to add advertisements (like Google Ads, etc), that's your prerogative, and is easily done by adding the appropriate (ad site dependent) HTML to the template. A few folks running the templates have already done so.

Personally, I find ads annoying, so I do not run ads on any of my sites. I know that some folks do in the hope that the small revenue stream will offset their hosting costs. Generally, personal weather websites are not likely to be big revenue makers from ads installed on the website due to the low traffic to the website. Personal weather websites are, I suppose, more of a hobby with hopes of providing useful information to your community rather than a often-visited portal. Beside the traffic I see from weather enthusiasts worldwide fetching scripts/updates from my site (and the pesky miscreants knocking at the site looking for holes), I do have a small but appreciative following in Saratoga for my weather information, and that's gratification enough for me.

Best regards,
Ken
robynfali wrote:Ad-Block Plus, best script out there.

Have a serious thought before you do put adverts on your site

I guess I should have phrased the question a little different. I would be a fool to think that I could earn even earn back what it cost to host a site for the year via an advertising system. By NO means was I even thinking about a Google type ad system I thought it would be a good idea to utilize banners or something like to promote local events and organizations in our community. While we don't have much happening in our little community buried in the NJ Pinelands, we do have a community that supports local schools, churches and athletic organizations. My thinking was if a banner with this type of information was present it would actually drive more traffic to the site?

Thoughts...................................
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

In that case, yeah a brilliant idea, because its local topic, maybe create an "events" page, so it's all in one area, possibly with a diary of dates? Maybe you could use/embed google calendar?
GregV

Post by GregV »

robynfali wrote:In that case, yeah a brilliant idea, because its local topic, maybe create an "events" page, so it's all in one area, possibly with a diary of dates? Maybe you could use/embed google calendar?

Great!!!! I'll forward the FTP info and you can get it set up for my 11 year old and myself. We would like an "events page" as well as a banner on top of all pages displaying local events and topics for the week. LOL.....................is it done yet? :lol: I crack myself up :clap:
avoorpool
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by avoorpool »

Hi there,

Not so impatient.. :D
Adding pages is not so difficult. I started with Weather Blues just 3 month ago and currently display 24 pages. One is the so called [Climate Changes], a pages I change every 2 weeks with relevant info........
Once you have the template, it's easy to change the content frequently. (just copy/paste)
The community here is active in the conservation of a great (urban) forest, called Altona Forest, with frequent hikes guided by biologists. I just attended a hike this morning (Saturday) and we discussed the addition of an 'event page' with info about the monthly activities in and around the forest, you guess it...........placed on the Forest website and..........on my website as well..!!!
I like your idea, and I'll be working on page # 25 (probably as part of my [Area Info] page being the 'event page'.
Trust me, I never saw a html page or code in my life until 3 month ago..........
My 8 year old loves it, and keeps pushing me to add more Baseball info to the site (although there is already a link in [Area Info] - [Info Links] to his favorite team :D
Keep you posted,

Cheers,

Arthur