Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Uploading to server

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

n8bmb
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows XP

Uploading to server

Post by n8bmb »

I recently moved my website (n8bmb.com) from GoDaddy.com to Arvixe.com for my server needs. GoDaddy, while their tech and customer support were great, refused to update their SQL database to anything "new" and insist on upgrading to version 5.1 - about 4 years old - instead of the more recent 5.5.

Anyway, I am having difficulties getting files to upload to the new server. I have tried several variations of the directory from within Cumulus to upload to my new server. After screwing with it most of the day today, I finally am getting realtime.txt to load. HOWEVER, the CUtags.txt/php and the others ARE NOT uploading - at least according to my server. When I connect via FTP client I can read the file date/time and the only one that is updated is the realtime.txt file.

Am I missing something? I have contacted Arvixe tech support and while they were more than willing to work with me on this for about an hour or so, the Cumulus software is not their area - hence my post here in hopes that someone may be able to assist in this problem. I am willing to make phone calls to whomever thinks they may be able to help me solve this issue.

Thanks!

Dennis - N8BMB
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Uploading to server

Post by steve »

If you turn on ftp logging, the ftplog.txt file may give some clues as to what's happening.
Steve
n8bmb

Post by n8bmb »

I will look into that - Thanks!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I posted my reply just before I went to bed, and it's occurred to me that as you're using Ken's templates, I really have no idea what files get uploaded and at what interval :oops:

So if there are other files at the 'realtime' interval, then the realtimeftplog.txt file will show any problems with those. The ftplog.txt file only shows activity at the 'normal' interval, but I assume that you have files like that? It would probably also be useful if you attached screenshots of your Cumulus internet settings screen and the 'files' tab.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Gluepack, I've moved your post to its own thread - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11017
Steve
n8bmb

Post by n8bmb »

Ok, the logs gave me "some" insight. But now I have another issue. I am getting the files to upload, however, they are not going to the directory they need to be in. Question, is there a finite path that Cumulus will accept? Example, I need the files to get to a directory called /weather/, on the server the path to this is like /home/XXXXX/????????/weather/. It appears that no matter how I configure the path, the files will only go to the /home/ directory and no farther. Do I need to make this path in the sites/options tab or the files tab or some other configuration?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

For the standard files supplied with Cumulus, you need to supply the path to the directory on the sites/options tab. Relative paths (i.e. without a leading slash) are usually more reliable than absolute paths (those starting with a slash) as sometimes ftp servers are not set up in a way which is obvious from what you see as a user. You need to supply the path that you would need to go through when you log in with a normal ftp client.

For files that you have added on the files tab, you have to supply the full path and file name for each one; it doesn't use the directory setting from the sites/options tab.

It's hard to be any more helpful without seeing your Cumulus settings and the contents of the ftp log, I'm really just having to guess as to what the problem might be. It may just be that you haven't supplied the path for the files on the files tab, so they just get uploaded to your home directory (i.e. the one that you start in when you log in).
Steve
n8bmb

Post by n8bmb »

I would send a screen shot, but I don't know how to do that. Am trying the suggestion for the full path in the files tab. testing now..............
n8bmb

Post by n8bmb »

send me an email to n8bmb@n8bmb.com and I can send you a screen shot of my settings
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I have very strict anti-spam settings on my email as I receive vast amounts of spam, and it's likely that your email with an attachment would get deleted. If you don't want to make the screen shot public, you can send it to me in a private message.

I'd need to see the ftp log too.
Steve
n8bmb

Post by n8bmb »

my email client is the only program that I can past the screen shot into. can't do it on here either, that is why I asked for email - and it isn't an attachement - it is pasted into the email. But, since I now have to leave for work, won't be till tomorrow (satruday). Send me an email.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

My anti-spam software deletes emails with any form of binary data, regardless of whether your software calls that an attachment or not.

Why can you not attach it here? Everyone else seems to manage. There are instructions in the post linked to near the top of the forum - "Please click here before posting...". You just click the "choose file" box, browse for the the file on your PC, and then click "add the file".
Steve
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

steve wrote:Why can you not attach it here? Everyone else seems to manage. There are instructions in the post linked to near the top of the forum - "Please click here before posting...". You just click the "choose file" box, browse for the the file on your PC, and then click "add the file".
It seems to me that he/she does not know how to save a screenshot to a file. When using Windows, there always is Windows Paint available to paste into, and it can then save it as jpeg.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There's a page in the wiki about taking a screen shot - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Screen_capture
Steve