Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Changes To Weather Underground Temperatures

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Changes To Weather Underground Temperatures

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi Ken,

Within the past 24 hours, Weather Underground has changed their weather forecast quite a bit. Though, the temperatures are the most different and now wrap on two lines on the home page of my website. I'm just wondering if you need to do anything to the script to get it back to how it was before or if I need to do any modifications to my script?

Thanks,

William
SpaceWalker
Weather Station: Davis Vantage
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: Changes To Weather Underground Temperatures

Post by SpaceWalker »

William, as it was suggested many months ago, (you appear to be a very intelligent young man) you should 'seriously' make an effort to learn PHP and be able to easily modify the code in your web pages, all by yourself when you feel like it without having to ask for a script to be modified... ;)

The text for the temperature is (possibly/more likely) wrapping because the width of the table cell into which the text is displayed might be too narrow - in the default 'ajax-dashboard.php' template, the width for the icon and temperature is set to 80 pixels whereas the width for the text of the forecast is set to 504 pixels.

Two options are available to you:
  • 1. permanently change the width of both cells to accommodate the wider text of the temperature;
    2. add the CSS property 'white-space: nowrap;' to these settings to prevent text wrapping:

Code: Select all

style="width: 80px;font-size: 8pt; border:none; text-align: center"
    Note: Be warned that if you prevent text wrapping, the width of the cells will change quite often and that might become quite annoying to you.
William Grimsley

SpaceWalker wrote:William, as it was suggested many months ago, (you appear to be a very intelligent young man) you should 'seriously' make an effort to learn PHP and be able to easily modify the code in your web pages, all by yourself when you feel like it without having to ask for a script to be modified... ;)

The text for the temperature is (possibly/more likely) wrapping because the width of the table cell into which the text is displayed might be too narrow - in the default 'ajax-dashboard.php' template, the width for the icon and temperature is set to 80 pixels whereas the width for the text of the forecast is set to 504 pixels.

Two options are available to you:
  • 1. permanently change the width of both cells to accommodate the wider text of the temperature;
    2. add the CSS property 'white-space: nowrap;' to these settings to prevent text wrapping:

Code: Select all

style="width: 80px;font-size: 8pt; border:none; text-align: center"
    Note: Be warned that if you prevent text wrapping, the width of the cells will change quite often and that might become quite annoying to you.
Yes, I've changed the width now. So, that is not a problem. The code is what was developed by Ken. So, that bit is on his end, not mine.
SpaceWalker

Post by SpaceWalker »

William, I know the 'ajax-dashboard.php' template was coded by Ken True.

The change you wanted is (probably) specific to your needs - other users might not mind (or be bothered) with the text of the temperature wrapping to a second line.

Ken True's 'PHP/AJAX Website Template Sets' have been designed (if I understand correctly) to be used by everyone as base templates to produce and display weather information - if someone want to display the information in a specific way, it is up to that individual to learn about (get familiar with the code) and modify the templates. It is my belief Ken True will modify a template when there is a problem with that template (such as the format of the information used in that template being different) and not just for a cosmetic purpose.

That is why I suggested to you that you make a strong effort to learn PHP - this way, you would be able to do any changes or modifications you want to your templates without having to request and wait for a change in the script coding.

And, please, please, stop quoting the complete message when replying... ;)
William Grimsley

SpaceWalker wrote:That is why I suggested to you that you make a strong effort to learn PHP - this way, you would be able to do any changes or modifications you want to your templates without having to request and wait for a change in the script coding.
I am learning PHP by myself, that's why as you can see, request help very rarely.

The problem is on Weather Underground's end as I have just refreshed my home page to find that the weather forecast script has changed again!
William Grimsley

Well, it looks like it is just the new Weather Underground weather forecast format which is automatically shown on the ajax-dashboard.php file Weather Underground weather forecast. The problem has been fixed.
SpaceWalker

Post by SpaceWalker »

William...
I am learning PHP by myself, that's why as you can see, request help very rarely.
Then, congratulations are in order - bravo to you - once you have become more familiar with the most relevant PHP functions and language constructs you will find your interests growing dramatically in 'customizing' script to your own liking or even creating your own scripts. You might even be tempted to have a look at JavaScript code writing. ;)

Although I do not use the services of Weather Underground (nor the 'ajax-dashboard.php' script), I have noticed some of their texts have changed to a 'better english' format (using better formatted sentences rather than just short words). What you saw earlier today (or yesterday) was probably the Weather Underground effort in displaying the temperature in a less precise more generic format, such as 'high around 10°C' rather than 'high 10°C'.
William Grimsley

SpaceWalker wrote:Although I do not use the services of Weather Underground (nor the 'ajax-dashboard.php' script), I have noticed some of their texts have changed to a 'better english' format (using better formatted sentences rather than just short words). What you saw earlier today (or yesterday) was probably the Weather Underground effort in displaying the temperature in a less precise more generic format, such as 'high around 10°C' rather than 'high 10°C'.
Yes, that's what I thought had happened. There is better english in their weather forecasts which is a good thing.
William Grimsley

Though, there is still a problem with the "Tonight" night temperature. The night temperature is permanently shown in red instead of blue like the other night temperatures.
SpaceWalker

Post by SpaceWalker »

William, looking at your 'Forecast Details' page (at 03:00 UK time), the color for the day time temperatures is red and for the night time temperatures is blue.

Looking at the 'WU-forecast.php' script which produces the display, the default choice for the color to be used for the temperatures is defined at line # 684 ($color = '#FF0000' or red). Then, at line # 694, there is an 'if' construct to check is it is night time and, if it is night time, as written in the script '...this probably means it's a night time forecast, so treat it as a 'low' temp, and change the icon to night-time...' and at line # 707 the color to be used for the temperatures is changed ($color = '#0000FF' or blue).

It is difficult to analyze a problem on a page that is continuously updated/refreshed (if indeed there is really a problem) unless you supply a screenshot of what you see as being wrong.

Again, I ask you to please, please, stop quoting the complete message when replying ... if you must quote, just quote the part of the message you are replying to and delete the rest... ;)
William Grimsley

SpaceWalker wrote:It is difficult to analyze a problem on a page that is continuously updated/refreshed (if indeed there is really a problem) unless you supply a screenshot of what you see as being wrong.
It's quite obvious what the problem is if you look on the home page of Newton Poppleford Weather.

Here is a screenshot of the problem:
Weather Underground Weather Forecast Night Temperature Colour Problem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
William Grimsley

I still have the problem of the 'Tonight' night temperature being in red.
William Grimsley

Yes, I'm still having trouble with this issue. Any help will be appreciated.
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

Fixed...

Use http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/updates.php (17-Dec-2013, Base-World, Plugin-*) to get updated script (V1.31 - 17-Dec-2013).
William Grimsley

saratogaWX wrote:Fixed...

Use http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/updates.php (17-Dec-2013, Base-World, Plugin-*) to get updated script (V1.31 - 17-Dec-2013).
Thanks, Ken. :D