Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Saratoga Heat - Ken are you ok?

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Saratoga Heat - Ken are you ok?

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi Ken,

I've just been looking at your website and see that you have a 'Excessive Heat Warning' over Saratoga, at the moment.

I'm just wondering if you, your wife, friends and family are coping with the heat ok?

All the best wishes,

William
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: Saratoga Heat - Ken are you ok?

Post by saratogaWX »

Thanks for your concern. Yes, the Southwest US (including California) is having a heat wave due to a broad dome of High pressure moving retrograde (East to West) giving our area offshore rather than onshore winds. These events happen several times during Summer and early Fall and boosts temperatures from 10 to 20 degrees F above seasonal norms.

Fortunately, we have air-conditioning so we are ok (as long as the power stays available). Outside temperatures in Saratoga will likely cross the 100F/37.8C mark for the next few days -- we are in the 'warmer, but not the hottest' area of the Santa Clara valley.

Best regards,
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
William Grimsley

saratogaWX wrote:Thanks for your concern. Yes, the Southwest US (including California) is having a heat wave due to a broad dome of High pressure moving retrograde (East to West) giving our area offshore rather than onshore winds. These events happen several times during Summer and early Fall and boosts temperatures from 10 to 20 degrees F above seasonal norms.

Fortunately, we have air-conditioning so we are ok (as long as the power stays available). Outside temperatures in Saratoga will likely cross the 100F/37.8C mark for the next few days -- we are in the 'warmer, but not the hottest' area of the Santa Clara valley.

Best regards,
Ken
It's ok Ken. Ok, right (right) yes I heard about this high pressure (Yes) oh right. Oh right but have you seen anything this bad before and do these VERY HIGH temperatures happen a lot?

Good, good (why would the power go off in a heatwave mainly it's caused by storms isn't it?). Wow that's incredibly high that's about the same as the heatwave of August 2003 in the UK -- right, oh thank god.

Thanks and I'm happy you are coping ok with the heat,

William
Intheswamp
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by Intheswamp »

William Grimsley wrote:
Good, good (why would the power go off in a heatwave mainly it's caused by storms isn't it?).
William
In this instance it would most likely be from overloading the grid with so many people operating airconditioners...homes, businesses, shopping centers, hospitals, etc., and those airconditioners having to work extra hard due to the heat. A small substation could go down and start a domino effect of other stations and networks shutting down...that could black out a much larger area than simply the area serviced by the original small substation. "The grid" is a fragile network with backup plans in place...but sometimes those plans go wrong... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast ... ut_of_2003

Ed
Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4 Build 1079
WU - KALRUTLE2 // PWS - BEEWEATHER // CWOP - EW2927 // Weather-Cam
William Grimsley

Intheswamp wrote:
William Grimsley wrote:
Good, good (why would the power go off in a heatwave mainly it's caused by storms isn't it?).
William
In this instance it would most likely be from overloading the grid with so many people operating airconditioners...homes, businesses, shopping centers, hospitals, etc., and those airconditioners having to work extra hard due to the heat. A small substation could go down and start a domino effect of other stations and networks shutting down...that could black out a much larger area than simply the area serviced by the original small substation. "The grid" is a fragile network with backup plans in place...but sometimes those plans go wrong... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast ... ut_of_2003

Ed
Ah I see I never thought of that... yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes of course. Oh right I see...oh right. Ok...yes hopefully not if people can't have any air conditioning...

William
William Grimsley

Hi Ken,

The temperature was 98.1°F at Saratoga Weather just 12 minutes ago! That's 36.7°C! :o

Take care, Ken :D

William
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

The heat lingers on.. Saturday, 29-Jun we hit 101.5F and the pesky High is expected to remain for 4 more days (through Thursday) with excessive heat warnings in place. After that, it should move East again and allow the onshore breezes from the chilly (56F) Pacific to moderate our temperatures again.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Las Vegas and the surrounding area looks to be a hot spot at present. McCarran Intl is recording 115F (46.1C) but other stations in the area are recording as much as 122F but that's with equipment I haven't heard of - Advantage Pro II. I think the McCarran temp is likely to be far more accurate.

I once experienced 106F in Australia with no air-cond but I was a lad so could probably cope. I can imagine you watching TV sitting in a bath of cold water drinking a beer straight out of the fridge! ;)

Don't laugh Ken but England had its hottest day of 2013 today. The temp at London Heathrow climbed to a massive .... 81F. :lol: Your nights are warmer than that! :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

I overheard on a radio that 19 fire fighters have been killed somewhere Southern West USA :shock:
It's sounds like what it gets like in OZ.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Also being reported by the BBC; terrible news.
Steve
weatherfrog80
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Windows XP SP 3

Post by weatherfrog80 »

According to Weather Underground Furnace Creek in Death Valley was the hottest spot with 128 F (53.3°C).
The highest temperature i've ever experienced was 38°C and already that was almost unbearable for me, it felt like someone has forgot to close an oven door.

Hopefully the temperature will soon retreat to normal values for you. ;)
Best Regards

Georg

Private weatherstation Bremerhaven-Twischkamp
William Grimsley

WOW! Interesting stuff, guys! Seems like this heatwave is taking it's toll on people lives, now! :(