Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

DarkSky.net acquired by Apple -- API to be shut off end of 2021

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

DarkSky.net acquired by Apple -- API to be shut off end of 2021

Post by saratogaWX »

Their blog says

By Adam Grossman on March 31, 2020.

Today we have some important and exciting news to share: Dark Sky has joined Apple.

Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible, to help as many people as we can stay dry and safe, and to do so in a way that respects your privacy.

There is no better place to accomplish these goals than at Apple. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to reach far more people, with far more impact, than we ever could alone.
What happens to our existing products?

iOS App

There will be no changes to Dark Sky for iOS at this time. It will continue to be available for purchase in the App Store.

Android and Wear OS App

The app will no longer be available for download. Service to existing users and subscribers will continue until July 1, 2020, at which point the app will be shut down. Subscribers who are still active at that time will receive a refund.

Website

Weather forecasts, maps, and embeds will continue until July 1, 2020. The website will remain active beyond that time in support of API and iOS App customers.

API

Our API service for existing customers is not changing today, but we will no longer accept new signups. The API will continue to function through the end of 2021.

As part of this transition, use of Dark Sky by Apple is subject to the Apple Privacy Policy, which can be found at apple.com/privacy.
Thank you!

To our customers, family and friends, we are grateful for your support over the past eight years. We look forward to continuing to build great products, so stay tuned…

The Dark Sky Team
(emphasis mine)

So, yes, the DarkSky API will be going away in 2022, and no new API keys are being issued starting today. Sad that another reasonable free weather service gets swallowed up and privatized. Fortunately, both the US NWS and Canada ED sources remain as freely accessible.

For current users of my DS-forecast script, it should continue to work until the end of 2021.

Since new API keys are not available, for World sites, the WU-forecast script will work if you have a PWS submitting data to WU.
USA users should continue to use the NWS forecasts via advforecast2.php and Canada users continue to use the ec-forecast scripts -- both of those should continue just fine.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: DarkSky.net acquired by Apple -- API to be shut off end of 2021

Post by HansR »

Interesting news. That's what all those small companies want isn't it?
Being eaten by a big one and go to companies heaven.
Heavens Gate. 8-)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I don't use the app myself, but that's a proper kick in the teeth for Android users. Typical Apple. I wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole.
Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible, to help as many people as we can stay dry and safe, and to do so in a way that respects your privacy.
** Proceeds to close the Android app **
** proceeds to close the web app **
** Proceeds to close the API **

Great contradiction.

Dozens of companies use their forecast data - Citymapper/Microsoft/JPL/Yelp etc
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Mapantz wrote: Wed 01 Apr 2020 10:28 am I don't use the app myself, but that's a proper kick in the teeth for Android users. Typical Apple. I wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole.
** Proceeds to close the Android app **
** proceeds to close the web app **
** Proceeds to close the API **

Great contradiction.

Dozens of companies use their forecast data - Citymapper/Microsoft/JPL/Yelp etc
See this will be better :groan:
There is no better place to accomplish these goals than at Apple. We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to reach far more people, with far more impact, than we ever could alone.
Ok so not sure how they will do it by taking away the app that can run on over a billion devices and close off access to other things.
So apple will continue with there same approach, close it to everyone that does not buy apple products.
Kinda sad seeing it is a good app and service
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It's PR, he got a good acquisition cheque from Apple and he is now toeing the company line!!
David