Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Re: Hydreon double tips

Discussion of this sensor and its uses
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

apenwith wrote:I tried the resistor from pin 6 to 7 but then got no tips at all (USB/serial adapter). Then back to a no resistor no capacitor and had multiple on/off's but no additional tip when Cumulus starts so it was the capacitor. Anyway back to the capacitor which cured the multiples and I'll just live with the extra tip on the few occasions I restart Cumulus.
I've put an 'ignore first tip' setting in the next build; I was waiting to release it until we had more information. But if you think that with a capacitor and with the first tip ignored it's giving correct results (correct as in correctly recording one tip each time the device says there's a tip) then I'll go ahead and make it available. I've also added a setting to use RTS/CTS, so it would be useful if that can be tried also.
Steve
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi Steve
As sods law would have it we've only had very light drizzle since I tried various tests but I have had a couple of correct on/off pairs.
So yes, as far as I am concerned, the option would be useful and of course others don't have to use it.
Thanks
Alan
duke

Post by duke »

Alan, is that still a 10uF electrolytic capacitor you are using?
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

ok thats my rg11 connected to a direct rs232 port using the dsr with no capacitors or resistors.

on start up of cumulus i can confirm that the dsr remains off.

just have to wait for some rain to check what happens and how it compairs to the tip bucket gauges.

Steve
I've also added a setting to use RTS/CTS, so it would be useful if that can be tried also.

is that instead of the dst/dsr?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bruce45 wrote:is that instead of the dst/dsr?
Instead of, or as well as (with two RG-11s), on one or two COM ports. Any combination, but a maximum of two RG-11s, obviously.
Steve
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

Steve as the old laptop im using for this test only has one usb port its means having to disconnect and close cumulus to get the debug log onto a flash drive.

this is the log after about 30 minutes for you to look at and see if things are ok so far
debug.log
looking like rain shortly so should have more data by tomorrow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apenwith

Post by apenwith »

Hi Duke
Yes 10uF
I know those more expert than I suggest it shouldn't work but for some reason it does. It's agreeing with the Cumulus station bucket at 3.7mm and 3.6 mm so far since 0900 but it could be that both are under reporting as the manual gauge is a lot higher (6mm the last time I looked). It's the sort of light rain that tends to stick to the bucket funnel and it COULD be the capacitor is missing 'tips' altogether. It will be difficult to see if that is the case but the rain rate should give a clue when I get to analysing that.
Regards
Alan
duke

Post by duke »

Thank you Alan.

Now that Steve has given us the opportunity to save a USB port by having both on one serial port, how does that effect the connection of the cap as it would now be connected across the two pairs (pins 6 & 7) used by the RG11's or would you recommend keeping one on each port?

EDIT: did you mean across pins 6 & 7 and not 5 & 6?
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

question for Steve

as i only have one usb port i hunted out an old laptop cooler with 4 usb ports. closed down cumulus connected the cooler it installed the generic hub connected the wh1080 unit installed as hid device. thought ok everythings ok. opened cumulus and nothing error unable to find station. restarted laptop just incase just the same.closed everything down again and connected the wh1080 back where it was and rebooted and started cumulus worked fine.

tried this a few times same results. could it just be the old dell c400 note book cant handle it or an i missing something else.

by the way still no rain clear bloody skies. why does it never do what you want. oh well see what happens over night or tomorrow maybe the next day.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bruce45 wrote:tried this a few times same results. could it just be the old dell c400 note book cant handle it or an i missing something else.
As long as it's running XP or later it should work. But if Windows can't find the station when Cumulus asks for it, there must be some kind of problem somewhere. I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest.
Steve
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

tried connecting the hub and pluging in a flash drive just the same so dont think its cumulus more the c400 has problems with the hub after all it is quite old. just have to go back to the old method of close culmulus and then copy the debug file to the flash drive and use the other laptop to send it. was just a thought. not thinking there was problem with cumulus.
apenwith

Post by apenwith »

Hi Duke
The capacitor is across the relay line (DTR/DSR) DTR +ve
Regards
Alan
duke

Post by duke »

apenwith wrote:Hi Duke
The capacitor is across the relay line (DTR/DSR) DTR +ve
Regards
Alan
Sorry Alan, I was confusing the capacitor connection with the resistor connection :bash: .

Out of interest, if you were using RTS 7/CTS 8, which leg would be the +ve?
apenwith

Post by apenwith »

Hi Duke
RTS +ve
Alan
duke

Post by duke »

Thank you :)