Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Connecting the Hydreon RG11 digital rain sensor.

Discussion of this sensor and its uses
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Connecting the Hydreon RG11 digital rain sensor.

Post by steve »

apenwith wrote:a change from 'don't know' to either open or closed.
It would have to be to 'closed' for Cumulus to register it as such.
Steve
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
Maybe it is to do with the capacitor I put in. Incidentally the new bucket is attached to the logger not Cumulus - that's the original.
Regards
Alan
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

Attached is a picture of my "test" set up. The mounting post is about 3 meters high. The 1-wire connections are autonomous to one 9097 each directly connected to a Quatech serial to IP device going to two separate W2003 boxes running the 1-wire applications. The graphing of the 1-wire numbers will be done via one box getting the values and putting them in a database (sql/access).

The Cumulus / Davis weather station is at a different physical location on the roof of the home.

No rain since last week.

Lost electric on and off after a couple of very quick rain storms. This messed with the data even though most of the hardware is on UPS - but only for a little bit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Pete
Automator
Michaelpt
Weather Station: 1 wire weather station
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by Michaelpt »

pete_c wrote:Attached is a picture of my "test" set up. The mounting post is about 3 meters high. The 1-wire connections are autonomous to one 9097 each directly connected to a Quatech serial to IP device going to two separate W2003 boxes running the 1-wire applications. The graphing of the 1-wire numbers will be done via one box getting the values and putting them in a database (sql/access).

The Cumulus / Davis weather station is at a different physical location on the roof of the home.

No rain since last week.

Lost electric on and off after a couple of very quick rain storms. This messed with the data even though most of the hardware is on UPS - but only for a little bit...
Hi everybody

I have been using the non-tipping Rain gauge For some time in Cheddleton UK
My weather station consists of all 1 wire hobby board sensors

We used the non-tipping rain gauge to indicate the first signs of any Rain it is set to 0.001mm

I am using a Davis rain gauge which has been converted to use a 1 wire counter this is set to 0.2mm

If it started to rain Very light drizzle It could take Quite a bit of time before the rain gauge tips to 0.2mm

This is where the non-tipping Rain gauge comes into its own As soon as it detects any drizzle it will activate the wd
Software to display a outlook of very light mist, when this increases it will change to Very light rain

As soon as the Davies Rain gauge tips the program uses the rain gauge settings to display the relevant outlook Icon

We also use the Same data from the non-tipping rain gauge as a Rain duration sensor
I compare the Davis Rain gauge data graph and overlay the non-tipping Rain gauge data basically you can see the whole story of the downpour

I hope this makes sense
mick
I speech technology to help me overcome my dyslexia sorry for any wrong pronounce words
pete_c

Post by pete_c »

So your rain numbers base is the Davis tipping bucket with a Hobby boards 1-wire counter.

Your "it's raining" trigger is based on the Digital non tipping bucket RG-11 set to a very granular rate such that you utilize to start and stop the recording of the rain from the Davis tipping bucket.

Have you done a comparison of the rain numbers provided by the digital non tipping bucket to the Davis tipping bucket connected to the 1-wire counter?
- Pete
Automator
pete_c

Post by pete_c »

My numbers between the RG-11's and Dallas tipping bucket are very different. That said the Davis Vantage Vue numbers will not be included here as they seem really off. IE: swapping out the old Davis for another Davis in the next few days.
- Pete
Automator
41south
Weather Station: 1-wire Windblown solution
Operating System: Win XP

Post by 41south »

If I'm just replacing my FO tipping bucket gauge with the Hydreon in tipping bucket mode set to 0.2mm is the Rainfall multiplier in Cumulus 0.66 or 1.5? :roll: or neither :shock:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

41south wrote:If I'm just replacing my FO tipping bucket gauge with the Hydreon in tipping bucket mode set to 0.2mm is the Rainfall multiplier in Cumulus 0.66 or 1.5? :roll: or neither :shock:
You now get 0.2/0.3 as much rain per tip as a standard gauge, so yes, the multiplier is 0.66 (Or 0.667).
Steve
41south
Weather Station: 1-wire Windblown solution
Operating System: Win XP

Post by 41south »

Thanks for confirming that Steve, I had plugged in 0.66 thinking it was logical and the rain that came last night equated very nicely to the manual gauge :D

So I now have that running via a 1-wire counter through my wonderful new 'Windblown' 1-wire interface to Cumulus :clap: