Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

v2.1.0 install

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

v2.1.0 install

Post by PaulMy »

I downloaded and installed version 2.1.0 but could not make it work. Have gone back to v.2.0.2.

I have the unzipped v.2.0.2 and 2.1.0 each in a separate folder. Then following the Readme with the new 2.1.0 copied the T files to my /web folder, edited the gauges.js to the same as the working v.2.0.2; uploaded the 'css' and 'scripts' folders and their contents but then after a Cumulus Web Update the gauges did not appear, nor the scripts credits at the bottom. I tried the install a second time but got the same result.

Then did a reinstall back to v.2.0.2 and that works fine.

Any suggestion what I may have missed to do?

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: v2.1.0 install

Post by water01 »

Did you use the new realtimegaugesT.txt file as there are additional fields?
David
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Yes I did use both the new T files (in one of my install attempts I did not use the new T templates and saw the consequence). First issue I had was that somehow Notepad++ changed the gauges-ss to 'gauges-ssT.html' and also the gauges.js to gauges.js.txt but I was able to correct all of those by re-unzipping and starting fresh again. I tried v. 2.1.0 twice more but all failed. I was away for the evening so too late to try again now but will try again in the morning and triple check every step. It shouldn't be too difficult, as once I overcame my initial install path issue I have successfully upgraded to v.2.0.2 and also helped another user to install on his system so felt pretty comfortable, but this time it is giving me some issue.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Unfortunately, this time, I have to agree with Paul... :roll:

I have spent almost an hour trying to find out what was wrong and I have simply given up.

I understand that my 'gauges.js' script has been modified (customised), but still...

I have even tried using the 'original' scripts/templates from within a newly created directory where a 'freshly' downloaded ZIP was extracted ... and still nothing.

It appears, on both my tests, that the 'gauges.js' script thinks the 'realtimegauges.txt' data file is corrupted (even though I am using a 'realtimegaugesT.txt' file with a modification date/time of '24/01/2012 04:04:29' and an internal version number of '9') . But, even so, why are none of the gauges displayed, I could not find ... and did not feel like looking through the code of 'gauges.js' for a missing comma or semicolon. :|

I am back to 2.0.4.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

OK, after almost another hour of trying to figure this out, I have finally got version 2.1.0 of the SteelSeries gauges going... :roll:

Mark, PLEASE, could you use a different name for the main minified 'all-inclusive' 'steelseries.min.js' script (found in the 'scripts' directory) that contains the 'tween.min.js' script, such as , for example, 'steelseries.all.min.js' - to differentiate that 'all-inclusive' script with the 'basic' 'steelseries.min.js' (found in the 'src' directory), please (to clear my confusion). :|

Mark, previously, I had problems using the non-minified version of 'steelseries.js' (found in the 'src' directory) - over the past hour, I have been testing version 2.1.0 of the SteelSeries gauges, first, the non-minified versions of the scripts (ie: 'steelseries.js', 'tween.js' and 'language.js' - as found in the 'src' directory), then, the minified versions of the scripts (ie: 'steelseries.min.js', 'tween.min.js' and 'language.min.js'), and finally, the 'all-inclusive' minified versions of the scripts (ie: 'steelseries.all.min.js' and 'language.min.js') and, in all tests, the gauges were displayed as expected.

I still do not know what was causing the problem I was encountering earlier and which script was causing the problem - I guess, with a proper renaming of the scripts the risk of confusion is gone.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, would it be possible to make the cardinal points of wind rose gauge (ie: W, S, E - the N is invisible) more like the cardinal points of wind direction gauge ... so they can really be seen... :)
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Gosh.
Unfortunately, this time, I have to agree with Paul... :roll:
I had hoped there was at least ONE other time we might have agreed :shock:

Have not yet started to retry the install this morning and need to go out, but will set some time aside this afternoon and have another try. I don't think so but possibly I was mixing up old and new files so a clear mind and fresh start should get it going.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Paul, v2.1.0 does work, honest! I got someone lese to test install for me before release and it worked fine for them.

The two copies of steelseries.min.js IS confusing, I didn't think many people would use the \src files :( , I had put a note about it in the file, but I will rename the files for the next maintenance release.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

gemini06720 wrote:Mark, would it be possible to make the cardinal points of wind rose gauge (ie: W, S, E - the N is invisible) more like the cardinal points of wind direction gauge ... so they can really be seen... :)
You can make them the same size, but then the area left for the radar plot in the centre becomes very small, I think they are a good comprise at their current size.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Mark yes indeed it does work, v.2.1.0 okay now on my Windows Vista and Windows-7 machines in both IE and FF. The previous SS versions (1.6.6, 2-0-beta4) have worked fine on both of these as well as v.2.0.2 on my Windows-8 computer. But I have now been trying to install v.2.1.0 on my Windows-8 machine and that is where I've had my problems. I had noticed that the installed versions of gauges-ssT (Jan 3, 2013) was not on my website but the Dec 19, 2012 version was, but SS was displaying on the website and updating the data correctly. Just couldn't figure how that was hapening as I checked and checked that I had the correct link in Cumulus Configuration Internet Files and many <refresh> <ctrl><F5> and restarts. Then after an edit in gauges.js to set the interval to 30 and ftp the edited file, no gauges showing on the Windows-8 in either IE and FF so looks like my Windows-8 has an issue with v.2.1.0.

Maybe someone else with Windows-8 can check http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/gauges-ss.htm and report if gauges are showing correctly. Also any suggestion what settings in Windows-8 I could try to get v.2.1.0 working on this.

Thanks,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

PaulMy wrote:Maybe someone else with Windows-8 can check http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/gauges-ss.htm and report if gauges are showing correctly.
Works OK for me with Windows 8, in IE10 and Chrome.
Steve
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Thanks Steve for checking and confirming.

There must be something in my Windows 8 that I will need to change, but it is strange that v.2.0.2 does work fine on it. All 3 machines are on the same router so could it be something to do with the Windows 8 computer that has Cumulus installed and uploading to the webserver but not able to display the gauges back from the webserver? But then that is identical to using v.2.0.2 which does work.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:
gemini06720 wrote:Mark, would it be possible to make the cardinal points of wind rose gauge (ie: W, S, E - the N is invisible) more like the cardinal points of wind direction gauge ... so they can really be seen... :)
You can make them the same size, but then the area left for the radar plot in the centre becomes very small, I think they are a good comprise at their current size.
Mark, I did not asked you to modify the scripts to make the cardinal points of wind rose gauge larger - I asked you if it was possible ... hoping you would point me to the area/location where I could make such modifications... :(
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ah, OK ray, you need to look in windrose.js

There is a function called drawCompassPoints() in there

Code: Select all

// Helper function to put the compass points on the background
        drawCompassPoints = function (ctx, size) {
            ctx.save();
            // set the font
            ctx.font = 0.06 * size + 'px serif';
            ctx.fillStyle = '#505050';
            ctx.textAlign = 'center';
            ctx.textBaseline = 'middle';

// Draw the compass points
            for (var i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
                ctx.translate(size / 2, size * 0.125);
                ctx.fillText(_compassString[i * 2], 0, 0, size);
                ctx.translate(-size / 2, -size * 0.125);
                // Move to center
                ctx.translate(size / 2, size / 2);
                ctx.rotate(Math.PI / 2);
                ctx.translate(-size / 2, -size / 2);
            }
            ctx.restore();
        },
As you can see the font size is set by:
ctx.font = 0.06 * size + 'px serif';

and the colour by
ctx.fillStyle = '#505050';

Which I had intended to set to black, but the change must have got backed out at some point :( Setting the colour to black will help with the visibility. Using the existing size for the radar plot, try the following as a starting point:
ctx.font = 0.08 * size + 'px serif';
ctx.fillStyle = '#000000';

PS: I have made that change on my gauges page so you can see what it looks like.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, thank you for the directions... :)

Not only did I increased the size of the font and changed the colour to black, I also moved the odometer further down and centered - that new location was necessary as the odometer on my underdevelopment web pages (you know where to look if you need to check/see ;) ) was way off due to the larger size of the wind rose gauge.

Before you even mention anything, the modified 'windrose.js' script still has the original lines of code commented out with the new lines just below - makes it easier when it is time to update a script... :mrgreen: