Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

IE and the Edge

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

IE and the Edge

Post by gluepack »

Both IE (11) and the Edge browsers under Win 10 show ghost needle images relatively randomly at refresh (IE11 under Win7 Pro and my other Win 10 systems is ok). They come and go (re-appearing, presumably, on a refresh).
gauges.jpg

Apart from that, the only other browser problems I have are with SeaMonkey and Safari that don't move my menu to the last line of gauges. However, they are old and the latter at least has no plans for upgrade.

Update: Actually, this only occurs on my Win 10 laptop with on-board Intel HD 3000 graphics and, to be fair, neither Intel nor Acer support Windows 10 on this (2 1/2 year old, I5 proc. based) laptop. However, it is only with IE11 and the Edge, all other browsers show the gauges without ghosts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: IE and the Edge

Post by mcrossley »

As a test try switching off graphics hardware acceleration in IE, in... Internet Options, Advanced Options, top option, "Use software rendering rather than GPU rendering".

Restart IE.

That should stop IE using the graphics driver to do the rendering.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I think someone else had the same problem with an Intel card and Windows 10. 'Fixed' for them by changing from the Intel driver to the built-in Windows 10 driver.
Steve
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

mcrossley's solution worked, thanks :)

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That just proves there is a problem with the graphics driver. I'd try Steve's suggestion - if the native driver supports hardware acceleration.
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Well, as I said, my model of Acer laptop, despite only being 2 1/2 years old and with an I5 processor, that came with 64bit Win 7, is not supported for an upgrade to Win 10, specifically because of the Intel HD 3000 onboard graphics.
I upgraded before I discovered this and there is no (obvious) method of returning to Win 7.
Interestingly enough, even though I originally found this out from Acer's website, since then, if I go to Acer's website now and (download and) use their software checker, it does point me at a driver for my model and Windows 10 albeit that it is five years old and the same software tells me that is what I have installed (although it may be confused by the fact that the one installed is from this year).

Anyway.. it may not matter because, as so often in the past, although not for nine month now, my IP address has been blocked so I can't update my website. Nine months ago I changed the FTP update to 15 seconds from 10 and that seemed to cure it but I am guessing that the 200k for the gauges' graphs is now causing a problem, despite the fact that it is only once an hour (and, weirdly, they blocked me at 19:47 UTC and yet the 200k is FTP'd at around the hour). In other words, I may have to stop uploading the graphs. Oh, I guess I could still have the gauges without the graphs. (Pity I can't get WinSCP to interface with TOR somehow to FTP while I am drumming my fingers waiting for them to unblock me.)

gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Well, not to go off-topic too much but my IP address being blocked had nothing to do with the 200k of graph data although in a log they sent me to demonstrate the problem (it didn't, as it was for the wrong time period) the WinSCP graph data upload did cross over two WinSCP realtime uploads. Demonstrating that they have no problem with two parallel logins. Hostpapa then sent me the log for the correct period and the only unusual thing is that a realtime upload that usually takes about 10 seconds took 36 seconds and overlapped the one that would have been invoked 30 seconds later (the 15 second one was missing for some reason) which only took the normal 10 seconds. Meanwhile another login (possibly a manual one) occurred, followed by the next realtime upload login and that is when my IP address was blocked. Considering that, on other occasions, I have been active with a manual login, in order to upload files, at the same time as both the realtime and the graph data uploads were occurring, it seems strange. I don't object so much to having the IP address blocked as I do to the twelve hour wait for them to unblock it.

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Could you put a test in your upload scripts to see if winscp is already running, if it is then just exit so skipping that upload and catch up next time.
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

I'm not sure how to do that, whether it is a general solution or whether it has to be specific to WinSCP. I've asked for a solution on WinSCP's forum and I will google it to see if there is a general solution.
What I need to know is whether there is any way that I can inhibit a further invocation of WinSCP.com (or the relevant vbs or batch file), if it is already running, either delaying it (in the case of the hourly run) or abandoning it, in the case of the 15 second run (or both), in order to try and remove any chance of this happening again (not that the hourly clash was responsible for it occurring this time).

i.e. something like...
A> A> A> A>......A> A>
..............B>>>.......

Oh, does a vbs/bat necessarily stay live until the invoked program (WinSCP) completes or does it terminate?

gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Well, that worked in the 15 second run. I'll trust my luck with the hourly one.

Code: Select all

echo off
tasklist | find "WinSCP.com" >nul: && GOTO :eof
c:\WinSCPMX\winscp.com /script=c:\WinSCPMX\upreally.txt

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yep, that's the sort of thing I had in mind.
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Yes and a small amount of more brain power fixed the hourly one too ;)

echo off
:check 
tasklist | find "WinSCP.com" >nul: && GOTO check 
c:\WinSCPMX\winscp.com /script=c:\WinSCPMX\upjson.txt

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That is a bit of a tight loop though, you may want to put a delay in there...

echo off
:check 
tasklist | find "WinSCP.com" >nul: && TIMEOUT /T 5 && GOTO check 
c:\WinSCPMX\winscp.com /script=c:\WinSCPMX\upjson.txt
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

It did cross my mind that there may be a problem with it but what exactly is the problem? My manual dry run worked fine. I saw the 15sec cancel while the 1hour was running and the 1hour wait while the 15sec was running.

btw Prikryl, developer of WinSCP, queried why I wasn't using Task Scheduler as it could prevent dual instances. It seems overkill as CMX is essentially doing the scheduling but, if I could run it as a command from the CMX 'program' field, it would remove the need for having all of vbs, bat and com. However, a) I don't know how CMX is actually invoking the program (perhaps it is using Task Scheduler), b) I don't know if it can be run in a command line mode and c) I don't know enough about it with regard to delaying operation and whether that means they could build up.

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Why not use Task Scheduler - primarily because that would be time based, CMX fires when the data has been updated. With properly organised scripts there should be an issue.

PS: You can get Task Scheduler to fire on all sorts of triggers not just time, for instance a file being updated. That may have more possibilities. I did use that feature to trigger tasks on my old Windows weather server before I moved to a RPi.