Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Installation problem

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

bumpy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Installation problem

Post by bumpy »

Hello
I have had my website running for some years and apart from the occasional 'cosmetic' amendment such as the initial greeting, I haven't changed anything. After some thought I decided to update the gauges page to the Steel Series gauges and carefully read and then reread the instructions. Instilled with some confidence - perhaps from hindsight - somewhat misplaced, I followed the instructions in the Steel Series WIKI. Despite repeated checking of the process, I still cannot get the Steel Series gauges to appear on my website. I am slightly heartened that despite my 'tinkering', my website continues to update regularly including the 'original' gauges which also update as scheduled. I have now spent many hours trying to figure out what's gone wrong and now hope that someone can give me some advice.

When Cumulus updates my website or when I force an update I can see the following FTP progress log:
Logging in to ftp.farleighmeadows.co.uk
Uploading C:\Cumulus\data\awekas_wl.htmtmp
Remote file: /public_html/awekas_wl.htmtmp
Uploading C:\Cumulus\web\gauges-ssT.htmtmp
Remote file: /public_html/gauges-ss.htm
Changing directory to /public_html
Uploading standard files
Sending html pages
Changing directory to images
Sending graph files
Logging out

This seems to suggest that the gauges-ssT is updating.
I have attached a zip file of the Web files folder.
My website is http://www.farleighmeadows.co.uk

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice and point out where I've gone wrong. Perhaps as a 'senior citizen' I should left things as they were but it would be nice to have the Steel Series gauges on my website.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Installation problem

Post by steve »

It looks like you haven't done this part of the instructions (or you have copied the folders to the wrong place):
Copy (or move) the folders 'web_server\css' and 'web_server\scripts' and their contents (the
files that are contained in the ZIP file) to the folder where your "gauges-ss.htm" file is
located (probably the same folder where all your other Cumulus HTM files are located).
So this link, for example, is giving '404 not found': http://www.farleighmeadows.co.uk/css/gauges-ss.css

You need to ftp the css and scripts folders and their contents to the public_html directory on your web server.
Steve
bumpy

Post by bumpy »

Hi Steve
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I've copied the contents of the folders web_server\css and web_server\scripts to the folder where the gauges-ssT.htm is located. I then uploaded to public_html directory on the webserver the same files. When I was uploading the webserver showed the messages that these files were already on the webserver but I, nonetheless, overwrote them to ensure that there were correct. I then forced an update which resulted in no change to the website whatsoever - all pages updated including the 'original' gauges page. No Steel series gauges appeared.

What I did notice in the web server directory there were two files: farleighmeadows.co.uk which last updated yesterday at 9.24am and another http://www.farleighmeadows.co.uk which last updated at 6.15pm on June 28. Coincidentally June 28 was the evening I started to changes to Steel Series. As these files haven't updated could this be the reason why I can't display the Steel Series gauges? Unfortunately I don't know how to rectify this problem.

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated. Sorry to be such a dinosaur!

Tony
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You've put just the contents of the css and scripts folders into public_html. You need to keep the contents in the folders when you upload them, i.e. you have to upload the containing folders as well. E.g. you now have a file public_html/gauges-ss.css but it needs to be public_html/css/gauges-ss.css. Similarly, you have public_html/gauges.js, but it has to be public_html/scripts/gauges-ss.css
Steve
bumpy

Post by bumpy »

Thank you again for your assistance but I'm almost at the point of giving up! Try as I might I cannot upload the folders to my webserver: I can easily upload the contents of the folders without a problem but when I click on the folders to upload to the webserver all that happens is that the folders open, displays the files within and allows them to be uploaded: the folder itself will not upload. I've tried many times but it seems that this is defeating me.
Perhaps there is some protocol that I'm not following but I just don't know. I don't like to be beaten but I'm now at a loss.
Is there something I'm missing?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It sounds like your ftp client is the problem. With the one I use (Filezilla) I can just drag a folder to copy it and its contents in one action as I would in Windows Explorer. If you can't do that, create the css and scripts directories on the server (your ftp client must allow that?) and then copy the files as you have been doing, but into the correct directories.
Steve
bumpy

Post by bumpy »

Steve
Your advice has been much appreciated. I believe I have done what you suggested and the relevant folders with their files are now in the correct directories. Despite this the Steel Series gauges do not appear on my website and the original gauges continue to update regularly. Having rechecked the instructions many times I still cannot see where, obviously, I've gone wrong and regrettably I've come to the conclusion that this was a step too far for me and admit defeat.
Disappointed yes but at least I tried! Unless there is anything else I should check.....
Tony
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Looks like you sorted it out, the gauges are there and seem to be updating - http://www.farleighmeadows.co.uk/gauges-ss.htm

You just need to change the links on the standard pages now, as described in the 'What Next?' section in the instructions in the readme.txt.
Steve
bumpy

Post by bumpy »

Hi Steve
Once again thank you for your help - at long last the Steel Series gauges are up and running on my website. Persistence finally paid off! Just a few minor cosmetic changes to carry out in due course. Your assistance has been much appreciated.
Tony