Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1.9.4 beta build 1071 - UV data with a decimal point

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Cumulus 1.9.4 beta build 1071 - UV data with a decimal point

Post by Werk_AG »

Code: Select all

Cumulus 1.9.4 beta build 1071 is available.

•For 'easyweather.dat' input method: Read UV and Lux values from easyweather.dat file if 'extra sensors' selected.
Hi Steve.

Many thanks for having extended suport for this two new data fields in 'easyweather.dat' input method.
Any chance of a future version, the UV data field accept values ​​with a decimal point? Like 1.9, 3.4 etc etc

Regards
The freedom to choose the weather instruments you want
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus 1.9.4 beta build 1071 - UV data with a decimal p

Post by steve »

I made it an integer because that's what Fine Offset stations supply. I suppose I could look at making it accept a floating point value, for those people using it for other purposes.
Steve
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

steve wrote:I made it an integer because that's what Fine Offset stations supply..
Yes I know. We talked about it ...
It would be good that the field could also accept data with a decimal point. The resulting graphs would look much better.

Thanks for your attention
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

Also I noticed what may be a small bug.
Using easyweather.dat as input method, the names of the data fields (Light, Solar Rad, UV) in the Solar Section, are only shown correctly if in the station setup menu I activate the option "use B/L". If this option is not active, the fileds are show with the names Temp, Dew p and Hum, but the values are displayed correctly. Only the names change!

Regards
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Ah, yes, the list of station types known to have optional solar sensors doesn't currently contain the easyweather.dat type; I can easily fix that. There may be other similar issues scattered about the code. As the easyweather.dat input method is deprecated, I have tended not to consider it when doing any changes.
Steve
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

I understand that easyweather.dat input method is deprecated, almost all recent weather stations have PC connection. Anyway, I hope at least this option remains as it is the only way possible for all who use homemade stations, based on microcontrollers like Arduino.
Currently from my original station (Auriol H13726), I'm just using the rain gauge, and anemometer (data collected also by an Arduino with a RF receiver), all other data come from sensors connected to Arduinos.

I am currently trying to build a solar radiation sensor based on studies by Chuck Wright: Measuring Solar Radiation
Preliminary tests are promising, but none of this would be any interested if I did not have the support of Cumulus to use these data.
I think now you understand why I was so pleased with the fact that you have recently extended the possibility of easyweather.dat file format.

Thank you, thank you so much
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Werk_AG wrote:Anyway, I hope at least this option remains as it is the only way possible for all who use homemade stations, based on microcontrollers like Arduino.
I won't be taking it away; I was going to some time ago, when it was only there as the 'old' way of using Fine Offset stations, but I know that quite a few people now use it as a way of using Cumulus with unsupported stations. There are alternative approaches, of course; I know of at least two people who have made their station emulate one of the supported stations.
Steve
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

steve wrote:I know of at least two people who have made their station emulate one of the supported stations.
Hi,

Yes, that's what I hope to do (eventually) since I now have a number of additional or duplicate sensors (Solar, Hydreon, Greenhouse temperature, etc.). I don't run my PC(s) 24/7 so find the downloading facility of Cumulus very useful. Ideally, I'd like to use a serial interface for hardware/software simplicity and to permit a second instance of Cumulus to run, but which is the "best" station to emulate?

The "obvious" protocol appears to be Davis' due to the availability of their "open" documentation and the range of sensor types supported. However, there have been some comments that their protocol is complex to implement. What else is available? The instromet looks interesting, but is a specification available or was the data format provided in confidence?

Thanks, Alan.
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

steve wrote:There are alternative approaches, of course; I know of at least two people who have made their station emulate one of the supported stations.
No doubt that emulate one of the existing stations would be the best approache. Possibly one of the Fine Offset models. I've tried searched the internet about it, but found nothing ...
I think I still do not have knowledge to do it without help ... I started just a few months ago trying to learn C + + to play with Arduinos.

If someone could post some part of the code, it would be a great help ...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Charlie has built his own station which emulates the Fine Offset interface, see this thread: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7390
Steve
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

I will try to talk with Charlie. Thanks for the info...

Thank you also for the adjustments in last Beta Version. Already instaled... seems fine.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

steve wrote:Charlie has built his own station which emulates the Fine Offset interface, see this thread: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7390
Hi,

In the first post of that thread Charlie says:

"USB is way harder than it looks. So a solid 3 months later ......."

which persuades me (even more) that I want to try to use a ("RS232") serial interface. Any ideas which stations can use such an interface (and ideally which might be easiest to emulate)?

Thanks, Alan.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

AllyCat wrote:which persuades me (even more) that I want to try to use a ("RS232") serial interface. Any ideas which stations can use such an interface (and ideally which might be easiest to emulate)?
Someone else did an emulation of the older Oregon Scientific stations, which have a serial interface, but I think if I were to do it I'd be looking to emulate a Davis, for which the protocol is officially documented - http://davisnet.com/support/weather/dow ... wareID=235

Instromet stations also have a serial interface, so that is now a possibility.
Steve
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Thanks Steve. I suspect that you missed my post above (because another was added before you were able to reply).
AllyCat wrote:..........

The "obvious" protocol appears to be Davis' due to the availability of their "open" documentation and the range of sensor types supported. However, there have been some comments that their protocol is complex to implement. What else is available? The instromet looks interesting, but is a specification available or was the data format provided in confidence?
Does anyone know which parts of the Davis protocol are "essential" (or is it all done by the Davis .DLL)? Is there any protocol documentation available for the Instromet?

Cheers, Alan.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

AllyCat wrote:Thanks Steve. I suspect that you missed my post above (because another was added before you were able to reply).
Yes, I did.
The instromet looks interesting, but is a specification available or was the data format provided in confidence?
There are no copyright notices on the document I've been given, but I don't think it would be correct for me to pass it on. It's quite a simple text-based protocol.
Does anyone know which parts of the Davis protocol are "essential" (or is it all done by the Davis .DLL)?
That would be easier for me to answer if it weren't for the fact that I'm using the Davis DLL in Cumulus, and I don't know for certain which commands are invoked for the various functions that I call. In my 'other' versions of Cumulus which don't use the DLL, all I'm currently using are the LOOP and DMPAFT commands, for live data and archive data respectively, but I'll almost certainly end up using more than just those.
Steve