Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Last Rain - Bug?

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
simonvfr
Weather Station: Maplin-WatsonW8681-Fine Offset

Last Rain - Bug?

Post by simonvfr »

Noticed today that #LastRainTipISO seems to record even if the actual 'rain' is a spike which is ignored by Cumulus through the settings set in Configuration.

So currently my tooltip and web tag show last rain as today 13:48:27, when in fact last rain accepted as valid is 13:15. Error log shows entries like 01/05/2013 13:52:00 : Ignoring high rain rate: 3686.40 mm/hr

Shouldn't ignored rain (for totals) also be ignored for #LastRainTipISO ?

beta 1.9.4 Build 1070
Simon

Llama weather from central France
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Last Rain

Post by steve »

The ignoring of total rain is nothing to do with the 'spike removal' settings, those are for values calculated by Cumulus. It attempts to ignore large sudden increases in the rain counter independently of those settings, by noting the difference between consecutive readings and comparing them to the cumulus.ini file setting "EWMaxRainTipDiff", using a default value of 30 tips (i.e 9 mm) if that item isn't present.

If it gets six consecutive readings that are all above the threshold, it decides that the rain counter really has changed (but erroneously) and adjusts the start of day counter so that the erroneous increase doesn't affect the total. I suspect that what might happen is that the code which sets the 'last rain tip' time doesn't take account of the adjusted start of day counter, so it gets set at that point. If you attach the current diags file, I may be able to see what's happening.
Steve
simonvfr

Re: Last Rain - Bug?

Post by simonvfr »

Latest diags file as requested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Thanks. Yes, as suspected, it had to adjust for a large increase in the counter:

01/05/2013 13:48:27.998 : Six consecutive readings; accepting value. Adjusting start of day figure to compensate

But apparently it doesn't take that into account when working out whether to set the 'last rain tip' time; I'll see if I can fix that.
Steve
simonvfr

Post by simonvfr »

Thanks - super rapid response appreciated!
Simon

simonvfr

Post by simonvfr »

Reported Wednesday pm, fixed in Cumulus 1.9.4 beta build 1072 Saturday am

Fantastic!
Simon